Nijel Pack (2020) Commits to Kansas State

1.Definitely held his own and looked very confident and compitent leading his team against a boo Williams team with the number 2 point guard in the nation in 21.  

2. Why were there only 150 people at lawrence central vs southport?  Is this not indiana basketball.   Sad state of affairs.  

Thanks, Mike.  Do you know his three point % numbers?

We lose Green after the year.  While Durham is back, you’d still want another ball handler especially to cover us in case of injury to Robert Phinisee.  

Pack is worth watching to see if he’s IU material.  Another plus with him is I don’t see him scaring off Khristian Lander.   

How this class ends up is truly fascinating.  You’ve got Galloway and Leal with offers.  Those guys seem like no brainers for IU’s culture.  They are two guys who get Indiana basketball and will establish work ethic and a winning mentality.  It’s obvious why we offered both. Ethan Morton is out there as a pretty good facilitator.  We are on some bigs like Dawson Garcia and Zach Loveday.  The Evansville kid, Powell is out there.  Cross at small forward and some other wings. 

If you have a four man class, how do the numbers work out?  If Trey and Leal both say yes, IMO you gotta take both but it tightens up the rest of the class.  If one is earmarked for a big, do you grab a wing or a point for that last spot?  

And you’ve got to have some dry powder left for 2021.  Although I don’t normally bother myself with scholarship numbers because that always works itself out.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If you have a four man class, how do the numbers work out?  If Trey and Leal both say yes, IMO you gotta take both but it tightens up the rest of the class.  If one is earmarked for a big, do you grab a wing or a point for that last spot?  

And you’ve got to have some dry powder left for 2021.  Although I don’t normally bother myself with scholarship numbers because that always works itself out.  

Assuming Romeo is gone (99.9% chance), we've got two openings left for this year. 

If we fill both of those with freshmen recruits (or anything other than a 1 year grad transfer) (and assuming 0 transfers or early departures), we'd have two scholarships open for 2020.  Fill both of those with 1 year grad transfers, and we'd have 4 open for 2020. 

Now the odds we any team has 0 transfers or early departures are slim, but now we're into conjectural territory.  Like you said, those things tend to work themselves out. 

12 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks, Mike.  Do you know his three point % numbers?

We lose Green after the year.  While Durham is back, you’d still want another ball handler especially to cover us in case of injury to Robert Phinisee.  

Pack is worth watching to see if he’s IU material.  Another plus with him is I don’t see him scaring off Khristian Lander.   

How this class ends up is truly fascinating.  You’ve got Galloway and Leal with offers.  Those guys seem like no brainers for IU’s culture.  They are two guys who get Indiana basketball and will establish work ethic and a winning mentality.  It’s obvious why we offered both. Ethan Morton is out there as a pretty good facilitator.  We are on some bigs like Dawson Garcia and Zach Loveday.  The Evansville kid, Powell is out there.  Cross at small forward and some other wings. 

It is a limited sample size but so for on the EYBL he is 3-for-9 from three.  For his junior year at Lawrence Central he shot 43% from three according to his stats on MaxPreps.

I think getting another point guard in the 2020 class is a must.  The only one that we are recruiting now that might give Lander pause IMO is Caleb Love, but probably not too much as I think they can be on the floor on that same time.  In fact that would pretty much be a dream back court.

IU recruits on the EYBL circuit.  From Inside The Hall:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/05/15/an-in-depth-look-at-how-iu-targets-are-performing-on-the-eybl-circuit/

Nijel Pack – Indy Heat

Pack is the only player on this roundup that doesn’t have an IU offer, but his numbers suggest that his rising profile is warranted.

Indy Heat has been one of the EYBL’s surprise teams through two sessions with a 6-2 record and is in prime position to qualify for July’s Peach Jam if they can finish the month strong in Dallas. Pack is a major reason for his team’s success.

The Lawrence Central guard is averaging 16.8 points, 4.9 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game. Those are elite numbers.

Like Davis, the advanced statistics also look very favorably upon Pack.

According to Open Look Analytics, he has the second highest usage rate on Indy Heat at 23.8 percent. His offensive rating is stellar at 119.3 and his effective field goal percentage is 45.3. Pack’s turnover rate of just 12.8 percent is also impressive given his high usage rate.

He’s shooting 21.2 percent on 3s, 51.4 percent on 2s and 92.5 percent on free throws.

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Saw this earlier...could mean several things...TJD is playing at least 2 years and wants him here (very likely) wants a buddy to join him, and respects his game enough to put it out there...ok that’s about it I suppose! Give me tough minded Indiana guards all day!

I've had a beer in my hand for about a week so I missed this kid. Another 2020 recruit and sounds like offer is coming if he doesn't have one already. Musical chairs for this 2020 class. Someone is going to miss out soon...hopefully we start hearing some verbals soon. 

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I wonder if the kid is related to Wayne Pack?

Good reference.  I’m pretty good on such references, but had to look him up, so kudos.  

I will throw Robert Pack into the “family tree,” although, unlike Wayne, I’m not aware of any Indy connections.  

11 hours ago, Jam said:

Wayne pack is 68. 

That sounds right.  I'm pretty sure he played with McGinnis & Downing on that monster 1969 Washington team.  I remember he played for the Pacers for a bit and then later saw his name (or someone with the same name) as the personnel guy at RCA in Indy.  Maybe unrelated or grandfather?

I'm not turned off by a small point guard.  Wasn't that TumTum guy we missed on sub-six foot too?  If the kid can play hard, smart, and has outstanding vision and quickness I see little downside.

12 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

That sounds right.  I'm pretty sure he played with McGinnis & Downing on that monster 1969 Washington team.  I remember he played for the Pacers for a bit and then later saw his name (or someone with the same name) as the personnel guy at RCA in Indy.  Maybe unrelated or grandfather?

I'm not turned off by a small point guard.  Wasn't that TumTum guy we missed on sub-six foot too?  If the kid can play hard, smart, and has outstanding vision and quickness I see little downside.

Tum Tum’s biggest issue was he couldn’t shoot. Was a big liability for them because of it. 

53 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

That sounds right.  I'm pretty sure he played with McGinnis & Downing on that monster 1969 Washington team.  I remember he played for the Pacers for a bit and then later saw his name (or someone with the same name) as the personnel guy at RCA in Indy. 

Wayne Pack Inducted to Indiana Basketball HOF

Good bio information too...

Archived