Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

3 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Hey guys, I like Nick, but take certain things said by "sources" (including myself and others) with a grain of salt. 

I was the very first person to leak Romeo to IU to Nick (what he told me). Within an hour he said he had 10 more sources saying the same. True or not, when you are trying to "come up" you are willing to take more chances. Which means more strikeouts when you tried to hit it out of the park. His (and other people's) sources can be as low as "me" or someone like me. 

With that said, Nick is (mostly) correct with TK. IU is his lean right now. But he has his eyes on another blue blood. I don't think he is going to get much more than just interest from them. I think Nick went a little too far by implying IU is basically out. But as he said he was relaying info from a source. He just could have done a better job of explaining and hedging that info. 

Also something @CoachSS said a while back that is 100% true. Sometimes the info you have in the moment is 100% true for that moment. But situations change. Kids minds change. Coaches interest changes. So that 100% true thing in that moment is suddenly no longer the case in the next moment. 

I think TK takes a few more months to see what develops. But at the end up of the day I think he commits to 

Watch out for Cal sneaking in!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Thanks for the info and I really hope we get Trey. In regards to getting a Duke offer.....He would really have to blow up (which he very well may) for that to happen. Rivals currently has him at 97. In the past 3 years Duke has signed ten 5 stars and the rest were high 4’s (mid-thirties) with the lowest guy ranked 51st. They are just recruiting on a whole different level than almost anybody.

For whatever reason, Rivals has never been as high on Trey as has 247.  I remember seeing that one of their national guys saying he was going to be in the gym when Kaufman and Furst squared off against each other in Southport last December.    And, he stated before the game that everyone was telling him he had Trey ranked too low.  Trey had a good game, but not an outstanding one.  Furst outplayed Trey in the first quarter and then they kind of neutralized each other after that.  Kooper Jacobi stole the show that game.  But, the bottom line was, if Rivals was already skeptical of Trey's ranking, that performance was probably not going to change their mind. 

I'll leave the source talk for others. My only sources and information I ever receive unfortunately involves our friends in Champaign. The one source I did have with IU hoops got himself in some trouble 5 years ago (Crean and one of our more famous supporters) by leaking out information. Since that time I get nada.....what I do believe in is about 2-3 posters on this board. When they comment I listen. Maybe that doesn't work everyone else because they feel the need to be more respected but to each their own I guess.

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok.. I'm not going to argue with anyone about what I'm about to say. I just spoke with my source(same one that said Romeo was going to IU 2 weeks before it happened, the one that said Brunk to IU the day before it happened, and the guy that told me Lander to IU and reclassifying the day before it happened) 

1. Trey and Lander have ZERO problems with each other.  Complete fabrication made up over Lander leaving his old trainer. 

2. Trey was looking for Duke, UK, UNC offers this summer. He wants to play in the NBA, and was "enamored" with getting those offers, that doesnt mean he will go there. 

3. My source believed that no spring AAU will help IU because Trey will be less showcased. 

4. My source lives very close to Sellersburg. This is someone who contacts Trey's group very frequently. 

This sounds like the most likely scenario, and is a far cry from Nick's tweet that IU is out of it with TK. Also, if TK is after some bigger offers, then why according to Nick does that knock IU out but not Xavier, Louisville or Purdue? Why just IU?

The end of your second point is spot on. Just because a player is seeking some other offers, which is probably accurate in this case, it doesn't mean he's dismissing the schools already pursuing him. Say UK shows him interest, and even if that excites him, that doesn't mean the fit will end up being right. 

The most likely scenario is probably that IU sits in pretty good shape, but that this recruitment is still open to other suitors. It doesn't mean he's coming to IU, but it's also a far cry from IU being out of it. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Brief recap: 

IU Realist is right that what happened doesnt need to be posted on here. 

But it's still a reach to say that they don't want to play together. Like still zero truth to that. 

I can respect that it doesn’t need to be posted here.  But my point is, if that is the case, why bring it up in the first place?  

6 minutes ago, psychobat said:

I can respect that it doesn’t need to be posted here.  But my point is, if that is the case, why bring it up in the first place?  

No idea. Not going to speculate why it was brought up.  

But..  it really doesn't matter, honestly.  

My recollection is that Nick was the one who has been critical about Kaufman on the defensive end (“who is he going to guard at the next level”).  I know it was one of the recruiting guys.  

I know we are only talking about basketball here, but Nick would be well served to take a writing class.  I’m sure it’s difficult for a website to carry a guy who cannot write a lick.  He’s got the basketball part down, but part of the job is articulating yourself.  He doesn’t need to be Hemingway, but it is painful reading his work.  He can’t even figure out when to use “went” versus “gone,” which is frankly early elementary school stuff.  It is going to be tough for him to work for a website without basic writing ability.   

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I was thinking the same thing. 995 Twitter followers isn't going to earn any money, so whack the bee's nest and see what happens...

In this case it looks to have backfired...he's posting a lot on Twitter today to get the tweets in question down the page a bit...

Nick has a good following on Twitter, almost 3,000 worth. This looks to be a misstep, but he knows the game well. I’ve enjoyed his past analysis and breakdowns. Curious to see how this recruitment unravels.

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I know we are only talking about basketball here, but Nick would be well served to take a writing class.  I’m sure it’s difficult for a website to carry a guy who cannot write a lick.  He’s got the basketball part down, but part of the job is articulating yourself.  He doesn’t need to be Hemingway, but it is painful reading his work.  He can’t even figure out when to use “went” versus “gone,” which is frankly early elementary school stuff.  It is going to be tough for him to work for a website without basic writing ability.   

Dang dude he has children

37 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Nick has a good following on Twitter, almost 3,000 worth. This looks to be a misstep, but he knows the game well. I’ve enjoyed his past analysis and breakdowns. Curious to see how this recruitment unravels.

Regardless of how the recruitment turns out, it does not justify the way the original tweet was presented.

34 minutes ago, HooASUier said:

Dang dude he has children

It is not personal.  He has picked a profession where he critiques players so this is nothing beyond what he’d say about a player.  

I’m actually trying to help him.  In fact, I have complimented him in the past (e.g., with respect to Lander).  It would not be complicated to enroll in a writing class or two if he’s serious about this as a career.  It would serve him well.  

10 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

You're right...read it backwards...but still, 3,000 doesn't get you into money making territory, so the point stands.

I understand the desire to be first with information, but it better have at least a shred of accuracy to it, and not be an opinion cloaked as truth...talking in absolutes is dangerous in almost any venture...

10 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Hope we get the kid and am not going to knock people for reading the tea leaves...but damn if I did not prefer the days when you mostly found out about the guys when they committed....

Seems like we get a soap opera out of recruiting every year.

I remember the days when you sometimes didn't even know what a kid looked like until the first game was televised.  I would know the Indiana high school kids that committed to IU, because of newspapers or Hoosier Basketball Magazine.  But, the out of state guys?  No clue what they would look like when I was growing up in the 70's..  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I remember the days when you sometimes didn't even know what a kid looked like until the first game was televised.  I would know the Indiana high school kids that committed to IU, because of newspapers or Hoosier Basketball Magazine.  But, the out of state guys?  No clue what they would look like when I was growing up in the 70's..  

I knew a guy who was shocked when he found out Damon was white, lol!   

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Recruiting magazine from my era

image.jpeg.da5e46637f459c053ee7baf5b85249a8.jpeg

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think that it started to really pick up in the late 90's.  Maybe around 1996 or 1997.  You had the AOL chat groups and other sites start to pop up to discuss recruiting.  Then Peegs site hit sometime shortly after that.  The first really crazy recruiting saga I remember is Jared Jefferies.  People thought he was going to Duke the night before he announced and that one sticks out to me as one of the first where the internet was trying to decipher where a kid was leaning based off the type of things we see for almost every recruit now.

I am interested in how our recruiting goes, but the big kid from Ohio that popped for us earlier this week (Logan I can't remember the spelling of his last name Duncomb?) was so nice.  No crazy speculation about him not wanting to play with so and so or wanting a better offer.  Just kind of, bam Hoosier fans, here I am...talk about how I will fit in now.

That was nice.

Archived