Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

Disagree on the first bolded a bit. A reporter's job is to develop reliable sources, hunt down news stories and ultimately report on them. I'm speaking in general here, not specific to how Nick handled himself. Of course in respects to recruiting and reporting there is certainly a valid debate to be had on what's kosher and not kosher when it comes to reporting on high school kids, I completely get that part. 

On the second bolded, I completely, 100% agree. What Nick reported is not a fact and it serves no purpose to come out so defiantly and defininitive that IU is out of it. I know Nick is a young reporter, and I'm guessing has a lot to learn about his business, and I think he missed the mark here in a big way. I'm also wondering if he had just one source? What happened to needing two sources before you go public with something?

I’m wondering is that even taught anymore...I mean I notice this in the media ALL the time these days...and it leads to a TON of bad looks for journalists....well so called journalists.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think that it started to really pick up in the late 90's.  Maybe around 1996 or 1997.  You had the AOL chat groups and other sites start to pop up to discuss recruiting.  Then Peegs site hit sometime shortly after that.  The first really crazy recruiting saga I remember is Jared Jefferies.  People thought he was going to Duke the night before he announced and that one sticks out to me as one of the first where the internet was trying to decipher where a kid was leaning based off the type of things we see for almost every recruit now.

I am interested in how are recruiting goes, but the big kid from Ohio that popped for us earlier this week (Logan I can't remember the spelling of his last name Duncomb?) was so nice.  No crazy speculation about him not wanting to play with so and so or wanting a better offer.  Just kind of, bam Hoosier fans, here I am...talk about how I will fit in now.

That was nice.

Early 90's you had Inside Indiana that always had a recruiting section.

19 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ok.. I'm not going to argue with anyone about what I'm about to say. I just spoke with my source(same one that said Romeo was going to IU 2 weeks before it happened, the one that said Brunk to IU the day before it happened, and the guy that told me Lander to IU and reclassifying the day before it happened) 

1. Trey and Lander have ZERO problems with each other.  Complete fabrication made up over Lander leaving his old trainer. 

2. Trey was looking for Duke, UK, UNC offers this summer. He wants to play in the NBA, and was "enamored" with getting those offers, that doesnt mean he will go there. 

3. My source believed that no spring AAU will help IU because Trey will be less showcased. 

4. My source lives very close to Sellersburg. This is someone who contacts Trey's group very frequently. 

My guess...and just a guess...if I’m as intelligent a young man as Trey...a degree at Duke and likely an NBA future would certainly be worth exploring. That said circling back to possibly no AAU season...hard to see him making that leap even though I absolutely think he could play there. I think he is massively underrated.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My guess...and just a guess...if I’m as intelligent a young man as Trey...a degree at Duke and likely an NBA future would certainly be worth exploring. That said circling back to possibly no AAU season...hard to see him making that leap even though I absolutely think he could play there. I think he is massively underrated.

So do I. 

Absolutely any highly ranked teenager should be enamored with the possibility of playing at Duke. Whether it's a fit for them or not.. who knows, but you have to give them a look.  

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I remember the days when you sometimes didn't even know what a kid looked like until the first game was televised.  I would know the Indiana high school kids that committed to IU, because of newspapers or Hoosier Basketball Magazine.  But, the out of state guys?  No clue what they would look like when I was growing up in the 70's..  

The first I heard of our 89 recruiting class was from the Indianapolis Star the day after signing day.

As many have said the Lander Kaufman situation is way over blown. I will be shocked beyond belief if he is not  Hoosier.  I still hear it will happen soon. As @btownqb has said no AAU season is huge for IU. I expect expecin early May we get a favorable decision. Getting info from same person that said Logan Duncomb would be a Hoosier very soon. Family keeping things pretty tight lipped but certain things spread and other info does quickly. Unless a Dukie offer comes in next 2 weeks I suspect TK to he a Hoosier

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

John Decker was the Inside Indiana editor from 2000-2005, before heading out start up Hoosier Nation on the old Scout network.

That was a great source for us living out of state before the inter-web.

Just now, dgambill said:

Damon was on sports illustrated and I think everyone in the state knew who he was. That guy was living under a stone lol.

Lol.  I am a tad older than Damon.   It was definitely when my crew was in college and Damon was in high school.  But, it’s something I will never forget.  But you’re right, even if he was from out of state, we were shocked he had such a misconception.  

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think that it started to really pick up in the late 90's.  Maybe around 1996 or 1997.  You had the AOL chat groups and other sites start to pop up to discuss recruiting.  Then Peegs site hit sometime shortly after that.  The first really crazy recruiting saga I remember is Jared Jefferies.  People thought he was going to Duke the night before he announced and that one sticks out to me as one of the first where the internet was trying to decipher where a kid was leaning based off the type of things we see for almost every recruit now.

I am interested in how are recruiting goes, but the big kid from Ohio that popped for us earlier this week (Logan I can't remember the spelling of his last name Duncomb?) was so nice.  No crazy speculation about him not wanting to play with so and so or wanting a better offer.  Just kind of, bam Hoosier fans, here I am...talk about how I will fit in now.

That was nice.

Geronimo too. It’s why I almost prefer the recruitments outside the state because no one knows their neighbor or cousin or anything. Just quite nice surprises lol.

22 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ok.. I'm not going to argue with anyone about what I'm about to say. I just spoke with my source(same one that said Romeo was going to IU 2 weeks before it happened, the one that said Brunk to IU the day before it happened, and the guy that told me Lander to IU and reclassifying the day before it happened) 

1. Trey and Lander have ZERO problems with each other.  Complete fabrication made up over Lander leaving his old trainer. 

2. Trey was looking for Duke, UK, UNC offers this summer. He wants to play in the NBA, and was "enamored" with getting those offers, that doesnt mean he will go there. 

3. My source believed that no spring AAU will help IU because Trey will be less showcased. 

4. My source lives very close to Sellersburg. This is someone who contacts Trey's group very frequently. 

Point 1-3 had me thinking, damn am I your source! 

45 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

As many have said the Lander Kaufman situation is way over blown. I will be shocked beyond belief if he is not  Hoosier.  I still hear it will happen soon. As @btownqb has said no AAU season is huge for IU. I expect expecin early May we get a favorable decision. Getting info from same person that said Logan Duncomb would be a Hoosier very soon. Family keeping things pretty tight lipped but certain things spread and other info does quickly. Unless a Dukie offer comes in next 2 weeks I suspect TK to he a Hoosier

There you have it. More than enough trusted people to corroborate this. 

The other piece to this is Kentucky. But Duke is definitely what he is looking for. 

3 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Point 1-3 had me thinking, damn am I your source! 

There you have it. More than enough trusted people to corroborate this. 

The other piece to this is Kentucky. But Duke is definitely what he is looking for. 

God I hate Duke.  Have hated them and rat face ever since 1992.

Edit to add:  I will do a dance the day K retires.  He has had the media running interference for him for decades AND I believe he is every bit as dirty as Calipari.  He is just a modern Wooden.  He had friends in the right places so he gets away with being a shade ball and an a-hole to boot.

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

God I hate Duke.  Have hated them and rat face ever since 1992.

Edit to add:  I will do a dance the day K retires.  He has had the media running interference for him for decades AND I believe he is every bit as dirty as Calipari.  He is just a modern Wooden.  He had friends in the right places so he gets away with being a shade ball and an a-hole to boot.

I drove from FW to Raleigh to watch IU vs Duke 2 years ago and then headed back the next morning. Tickets were going for $700+. Thankfully Dr Marc Richard at Duke Uni Med Center sent me his tickets. I couldn't have imagined spending $1,400 to watch that trash game. 

What I came away with more than anything is that there are 50+ Indiana HS gyms that are more legit than Cameron Indoor. 

My biggest fear in life is that when K leaves, Brad Stevens gets curious and takes the gig. 

TK should be careful about UK and Duke. These schools have been one and done factories for years. There will always be top 5, top 10, or top 15 players in his position. If it's not IU, schools like UNC, MSU, UL, or Nova would be some of the good destinations. It's good to compete against top of the line athletes and play pickup games, but he needs to have a lot of real playing time for his development and for his media exposure. Players of TK's level usually don't stick around UK and Duke and end up transferring. 

13 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I drove from FW to Raleigh to watch IU vs Duke 2 years ago and then headed back the next morning. Tickets were going for $700+. Thankfully Dr Marc Richard at Duke Uni Med Center sent me his tickets. I couldn't have imagined spending $1,400 to watch that trash game. 

What I came away with more than anything is that there are 50+ Indiana HS gyms that are more legit than Cameron Indoor. 

My biggest fear in life is that when K leaves, Brad Stevens gets curious and takes the gig. 

I’ve been to a few games there and have a more positive impression of Cameron Indoor. Yes it’s an old barn but the atmosphere and history is pretty cool. As you mentioned the prices to get into the games are crazy. Even pre conference games like Fairleigh Dickinson can run $275+ in the upper corners with better seats being much more.

PS. I was also at the game you attended. It was over before it started as we literally looked scared during the warmups. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The first I heard of our 89 recruiting class was from the Indianapolis Star the day after signing day.

The late Terry Hutchins.  I would check for updates, anything IU related on a regular basis.  One of the few things us Hoosier fanatics had to rely upon...."back in the day".

Could never believe the Indy Star let him go after years of dedicated service. Then Terry took over John Decker's Hoosier Nation on the old Scout Network.  Not a good spot for him as Scout expected him to generate more income for them, than he was able to.  So they let him go. He moved over to Btown Banners for a short period of time. Before getting back into the newspaper (and on line ) business. Where he was flourishing once again. Before his tragic auto accident.

Terry was truly a nice guy.  And like a true pro. Would only report on something until and after he had it checked out for validity.

Archived