Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, olsontex said:

Hi.  First time poster, long time fan of this forum as the best way to keep up with IUBB.  Before I ask my questions, I want to be clear that it's out of genuine curiosity, not intended as a flame, and not directed at btownqb for an answer. 

I've seen the desire (or at least preference) for the team to be made up of Indiana natives mentioned at some point in most recruiting threads.  If this is your perspective, Is it because you've followed these kids as HS players?  Is it because you feel there's a lower transfer probability?  Is it a matter of state pride?  Something else I'm not considering?

I attended IU from 88-92.  The day I arrived on campus was also the first day I stepped foot in the state of Indiana.  I don't have a second favorite program.  I care about IU returning to the heights I remember and I want the team to be comprised of the best players we can recruit.  Maybe I would have a different perspective if I grew up or currently lived in Indiana, but I think I'd probably still care far more about winning. 

This thread is about Kaufman, so I'm going to put my second question in an appropriate context.  The player IU is recruiting who is closest in comparison is Trey Patterson, but I'm not going to make this about which player has the potential to be better.  I imagine if there were a preference poll taken, Kaufman would win by a landslide.  If Patterson went to school somewhere in southern Indiana and Kaufman went to school in New Jersey would that make a difference to you?

My kids go to school with Kaufman, so it's an easy decision for me.  But, you are correct.  If they went to school with Patterson instead, I would prefer Patterson.  I was the same way with Romeo.  He was someone local that I followed through his entire high school career.  It meant more to me when he committed than say, another top recruit like Zeller or Eric Gordon.

That said, there are out of state players that I want as well.  I fell in love with Oladipo's game when I saw him play on TV as a high school player for Dematha.  Now, that was after he had committed to IU, but I could tell he was special just the way he played.

20 minutes ago, olsontex said:

Hi.  First time poster, long time fan of this forum as the best way to keep up with IUBB.  Before I ask my questions, I want to be clear that it's out of genuine curiosity, not intended as a flame, and not directed at btownqb for an answer. 

I've seen the desire (or at least preference) for the team to be made up of Indiana natives mentioned at some point in most recruiting threads.  If this is your perspective, Is it because you've followed these kids as HS players?  Is it because you feel there's a lower transfer probability?  Is it a matter of state pride?  Something else I'm not considering?

I attended IU from 88-92.  The day I arrived on campus was also the first day I stepped foot in the state of Indiana.  I don't have a second favorite program.  I care about IU returning to the heights I remember and I want the team to be comprised of the best players we can recruit.  Maybe I would have a different perspective if I grew up or currently lived in Indiana, but I think I'd probably still care far more about winning. 

This thread is about Kaufman, so I'm going to put my second question in an appropriate context.  The player IU is recruiting who is closest in comparison is Trey Patterson, but I'm not going to make this about which player has the potential to be better.  I imagine if there were a preference poll taken, Kaufman would win by a landslide.  If Patterson went to school somewhere in southern Indiana and Kaufman went to school in New Jersey would that make a difference to you?

For me it is a recognition that IU should have an organic advantage when it recruits in-state, so anything that demonstrates that the program is in a good position to capitalize on those organic advantages in a disproportionately talent rich state is a very good thing.  But when you get down to an individual comparison like Kaufman vs. Patterson, you can't lose either way.

1 minute ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

For me it is a recognition that IU should have an organic advantage when it recruits in-state, so anything that demonstrates that the program is in a good position to capitalize on those organic advantages in a disproportionately talent rich state is a very good thing.  But when you get down to an individual comparison like Kaufman vs. Patterson, you can't lose either way.

Yep.  Indiana is the gold mine of high school basketball.  And why I love what Coach Miller is doing to lock the borders.  And one reason why I was disappointed when Coach Crean lost the backing of so many Indiana High School coaches.   Don't get me wrong. I liked what Coach Crean did to help our program out of the dregs. But no IU coach should ever upset the Indiana high school coaches.  EVER. 

39 minutes ago, olsontex said:

It's the same way with South Florida High School football players. As some know on here I'm a Canes fan. We (much like Miami does) have a built in advantage that most universities don't. Talent rich area so close to home with a huge tradition. Same as the Canes do. To answer your question. It means more....it just does. I'd love to have either player but let's not discount what it means to our regional recruiting competition for elite talent (UK, Lousville and a couple others) what it means to keep the kids home. Izzo used to be able to pop in and grab one when he needed. Those days are over and it means a ton where coaches won't be spending their early days recruiting kids when they know they don't have a shot. 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You don’t need OADs to succeed. Preferably you build with high level guys that stay multiple years. When did a OAD last play in the title game out of curiosity. 

Agree. I’ve always said, bring in multiple low-end 5* guys (Thomas Bryant, Yogi Ferrell, JBJ, TJD, etc.) and high-end 4* guys (Watford, Creek, Troy Williams, Hunter, etc.) and fill in with the 3* guys and you’re competing. 

You don’t need the guys  ranked top 10 in the county to win. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I’ve always said, bring in multiple low-end 5* guys (Thomas Bryant, Yogi Ferrell, JBJ, TJD, etc.) and high-end 4* guys (Watford, Creek, Troy Williams, Hunter, etc.) and fill in with the 3* guys and you’re competing. 

You don’t need the guys  ranked top 10 in the county to win. 

UNC had done a great job of this by getting players ranked 20-75 and keeping most for 3 or 4 years.

Just now, IU Scott said:

UNC had done a great job of this by getting players ranked 20-75 and keeping most for 3 or 4 years.

Absolutely. I think where IU has lacked is UNC will bring in a 4 man class with 3 guys 20-75 and 1 guys in the 100’s, where IU brings in classes with the inverse. Then when our one guy ranked 25th leaves after a year or two you’re left trying to replace that guy with the next freshmen top 75 guy.  

With UNC, if they lose a one and done they had two other top 75 guys in his class, a couple more that are juniors and seniors and 3 more coming in as freshmen. 

Thanks to everyone for sharing their perspective.  Makes more sense to me now as the answers were predominantly strategic in nature, not emotionally based.  Especially the thought that losing out on top in state prospects will have downstream repercussions with future in state recruits.  I can even see how that impacts out-of-state recruiting (local talent is going elsewhere, why would I want to go there).

HDT - I want to amend an earlier comment to say this forum is my 1a source and TheDailyHoosier is my 1b source for IUBB news

milehiiu - can't argue that even in a "down" year there is a disproportionate amount of talent in Indiana.  Side note, for some reason the recruit that intrigues me the most is Trey Galloway.  I shy away from recruiting highlight videos, but there are plenty of videos of Galloway in natural game flow and he just looks so fundamentally sound, in control, and surprisingly athletic.

5fouls - agree when there is a connection with a player it makes it more enjoyable to root for them.  The only well known athlete I played against in high school was Rony Seikaly (International School of Brussels vs. American School Athens).  I was a freshman and he was a senior, and he definitely left an impression on me.  Also made for an interesting experience watching the 87 championship and knowing I was going to IU.

IU Scott - I remember when it became clear Oden and Conley were going elsewhere, it was depressing as it didn't appear we were ever in serious consideration (at least from my outsider vantage point) 

Seeking6 - the Florida comparison makes sense, especially considering some of the Indiana in-state players that weren't heavily recruited by IU but ended up having standout college careers and in some cases made it to the league.  I guess I also have to admit that it bothers me far more when we lose a priority local recruit to UK than a priority recruit from Missouri.  I guess it also means that at least subliminally I've wanted IU to lock up the local talent too. 

5 minutes ago, olsontex said:

Thanks to everyone for sharing their perspective.  Makes more sense to me now as the answers were predominantly strategic in nature, not emotionally based.  Especially the thought that losing out on top in state prospects will have downstream repercussions with future in state recruits.  I can even see how that impacts out-of-state recruiting (local talent is going elsewhere, why would I want to go there).

HDT - I want to amend an earlier comment to say this forum is my 1a source and TheDailyHoosier is my 1b source for IUBB news

milehiiu - can't argue that even in a "down" year there is a disproportionate amount of talent in Indiana.  Side note, for some reason the recruit that intrigues me the most is Trey Galloway.  I shy away from recruiting highlight videos, but there are plenty of videos of Galloway in natural game flow and he just looks so fundamentally sound, in control, and surprisingly athletic.

5fouls - agree when there is a connection with a player it makes it more enjoyable to root for them.  The only well known athlete I played against in high school was Rony Seikaly (International School of Brussels vs. American School Athens).  I was a freshman and he was a senior, and he definitely left an impression on me.  Also made for an interesting experience watching the 87 championship and knowing I was going to IU.

IU Scott - I remember when it became clear Oden and Conley were going elsewhere, it was depressing as it didn't appear we were ever in serious consideration (at least from my outsider vantage point) 

Seeking6 - the Florida comparison makes sense, especially considering some of the Indiana in-state players that weren't heavily recruited by IU but ended up having standout college careers and in some cases made it to the league.  I guess I also have to admit that it bothers me far more when we lose a priority local recruit to UK than a priority recruit from Missouri.  I guess it also means that at least subliminally I've wanted IU to lock up the local talent too. 

From what I remember Oden wanted to come to IU but when Davis did not go recruit Conley right away they looked elsewhere.

The South Florida football thing Is a good comparison. Not only because of the quality of player but because of the quality of coaching. Indiana HS coaching is perhaps some of the finest in all the country. Athletically we may not have the most talented kids year in and year out but we have some of the most fundamentally sound and best coached kids. I want the most talented kids we can get but all things equal local kids I think would have more pride wearing Indiana on their uniform, perhaps fit in better with kids at school and on team (more in common), parents happier seeing more games, and more likely to stay or support the University with local ties. I’m not going to ignore though that a special talent is special and would love to get a top recruit no matter where they are from.

I think in general kids from the B1G footprint would feel more comfortable staying closer to home and help build the program but let’s not forget some of the most important “Hoosiers” were not from Indiana. Do we have to have top 10 kids...no...but when we get a home grown product that reaches that level it says something If we can keep them in house. The Romeos the Trayce the Lander it sends a signal to other in state kids the 50-100s that are our lifeblood IU is where you want to go. We live in that 25-100 and occasionally get the 5 star...we are going to win our share of conference titles and have a shot come March. We just got to get to the point where the quality of kid we bring in year in and out are in that top 100 level and live up to that level. We aren’t far from it...like TDH showed in his article...Archie has avg the best ranked classes in the B1G...it will start paying dividends soon.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just off the top of my head these are just some of the Indiana kids we lost out on.  We might got another banner or two if we get some of those players.

Gregg Oden

Mike Conley

Luke Harangody

Dominic James

Gary Harris

Tyler Zeller

Zak Irvin

I could add to this list until morning Kellen Dunham, Gordon Hayward, Matt Howard, Maquis Teague, Branden Dawson, Dee Davis, Desaun Thomas, Kyle Guy, Jared Jackson, Kris Wilkes. Oooof 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just off the top of my head these are just some of the Indiana kids we lost out on.  We might got another banner or two if we get some of those players.

Gregg Oden

Mike Conley

Luke Harangody

Dominic James

Gary Harris

Tyler Zeller

Zak Irvin

Add me to the list.  I once scored 11 points in an intramural game.

Interesting tidbit.  In a recent interview—I think the one with Evan Daniels that has its own thread—Archie mentioned that he thought around a 50/50 split of Indiana kids would be the type of makeup for his roster that he has in mind.  

I think anyone here would take the right player from anywhere in the country.  But Indiana kids are a priority because we are more apt to land them, they understand B1G and Indiana basketball having grown up around it, the coaching in-state is phenomenal, etc.  

Sometimes when you go after a highly ranked out of state kid, he doesn’t understand the intensity level required in the B1G and how rivalries play into it.  He may not be well coached.  He may have an entourage and hangers on, etc.  These are all things we’ve seen over the years.  Certainly, if you recruit out of state and dig deeper, you can find the likes of Oladipo or Anunoby, etc., who were phenomenal out of state recruits.  But they essentially met the criteria you can get from Indiana kids.

Personally, I like Archie’s thought of a 50/50 split.  I’d be looking for 13 guys who (a) have a relentless motor, (b) are smart kids who understand the game and have high character, and (c) are also highly skilled because they’ve been coached up their whole lives.  Sure you want athleticism too, but it doesn’t do you any good to have an athlete with an up and down motor who isn’t particularly skilled.  

I don’t care where a player is from if he fits that profile, but I think you have a better shot of landing the right kids recruiting Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois, and expanding from there.  Now, there are plenty of the wrong kids from these places—Chicago comes to mind—so you’ve got to dig deep to get the right kids.  

50 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Interesting tidbit.  In a recent interview—I think the one with Evan Daniels that has its own thread—Archie mentioned that he thought around a 50/50 split of Indiana kids would be the type of makeup for his roster that he has in mind.  

I think anyone here would take the right player from anywhere in the country.  But Indiana kids are a priority because we are more apt to land them, they understand B1G and Indiana basketball having grown up around it, the coaching in-state is phenomenal, etc.  

Sometimes when you go after a highly ranked out of state kid, he doesn’t understand the intensity level required in the B1G and how rivalries play into it.  He may not be well coached.  He may have an entourage and hangers on, etc.  These are all things we’ve seen over the years.  Certainly, if you recruit out of state and dig deeper, you can find the likes of Oladipo or Anunoby, etc., who were phenomenal out of state recruits.  But they essentially met the criteria you can get from Indiana kids.  

Personally, I like Archie’s thought of a 50/50 split.  I’d be looking for 13 guys with relentless motor, smart kids who understand the game and have high character, who are also highly skilled because they’ve been coached up their whole lives.  Sure you want athleticism too, but it doesn’t do you any good to have an athlete with an up and down motor who isn’t particularly skilled.  

I don’t care where a player is from if he fits that profile, but I think you have a better shot of landing the right kids recruiting Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois, and expanding from there.  Now, there are plenty of the wrong kids from these places—Chicago comes to mind—so you’ve got to dig deep to get the right kids.  

Agreed. Archie has right now been pretty regional with his recruiting. B1G footprint for sure. Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Illinois and a couple east coast kids tossed in mostly. He isn’t out there chasing west coast kids...southern kids. You just aren’t going to win enough of those recruiting battles to be successful and maximize your time and focus. If there is a connection like with Ostrem, Roberts, or Bruiser or IU he will use it but until the program is back to national relevance it’s hard to live out on the edges. I just think B1G footprint kids have grown up in the area...like it..understand the kind of ball played and will have a better chance to stick. If you want to run in a more uncontrolled free offense and no defense you likely will be attracted out west..other conferences and schools offer differences but I think IU offers a great blend that will be ideally suited for some of the best players across the country once we are a destination school again.

10 hours ago, olsontex said:

Hope to see you post more.  You’re off to a great start and you would be a great contributor.  

Archived