Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, replacing good people isn’t easy. But Indiana is still a destination school and Archie is a respected coach. I’m sure he’ll find a good assistant when/if Ostrom leaves. I’m sure he has a short list ready to call. 

Also, I can’t really even think of a really good coach who had his program derailed because an assistant left? I’m sure it’s happened and I’m just going off the top of my head, but I can’t think of one. The top coaches and top programs have assistants leave for head coaching jobs, it’s part of the deal. 

Agreed. Ostrom recruits very well at IU. He joins a group of many others in that aspect.   The IU brand and local state talent definitely assist the process. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

That is good (dare I say it?).....   news!!

It’s not a bad thing. Still not predicting with 100% certainty. But I know good conversations are happening all across the board. And I know it’s frustrating when people have sources, but can’t divulge a lot of details (have to honor their requests), but some convos are sort of happening behind the scenes that are very positive for IU. And not even just with TK and the staff. Again, hate being that vague, but trying to provide a sense of the vibe without dishonoring sources. To be clear, not predicting anything and nothing is set in stone, but IU is in a great spot and they are confident. 

5 hours ago, hoosierfan34 said:

The IU staff is really confident. And that’s not a guess. 

Given the limitations for kids visitations and no AAU season the relationship IU has built up has to give them a huge advantage. Given a kid may fall in love with the idea of going to a certain school or want to go away from home but the momentum IU has and the kids already on the roster he is familiar with has to work in our favor. 

1 hour ago, hoosierfan34 said:

It’s not a bad thing. Still not predicting with 100% certainty. But I know good conversations are happening all across the board. And I know it’s frustrating when people have sources, but can’t divulge a lot of details (have to honor their requests), but some convos are sort of happening behind the scenes that are very positive for IU. And not even just with TK and the staff. Again, hate being that vague, but trying to provide a sense of the vibe without dishonoring sources. To be clear, not predicting anything and nothing is set in stone, but IU is in a great spot and they are confident. 

Do you mean Kaufman is speaking with the IU basketball academic staff/tutors and other behind the scenes contributors to the basketball program?

7 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

@hoosierfan34

Appreciate the info even if it’s a little vague haha.

since it seems like you have a personal connection to Trey, do you think if Mason Miller committed before him it would help/hurt our chances? 

Um, not really sure. I don’t think they would pick the same school, TBH. They can both make 3s, so it’s not out of this world to think they couldn’t play together. But I just don’t think they would.

I’ve heard that Miller isn’t in a big rush to make a decision, so there’s a good chance TK decides before him anyway. 

6 hours ago, btroesch14 said:

Do you mean Kaufman is speaking with the IU basketball academic staff/tutors and other behind the scenes contributors to the basketball program?

That’s kind of where I can’t go into too much detail, but he’s requesting conversations with people connected to IU to discuss IU in a way that gives IU good reason to be confident. Lol

24 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Um, not really sure. I don’t think they would pick the same school, TBH. They can both make 3s, so it’s not out of this world to think they couldn’t play together. But I just don’t think they would.

I’ve heard that Miller isn’t in a big rush to make a decision, so there’s a good chance TK decides before him anyway. 

Don't see why not. I see Miller as a lengthy wing (3). I don't see Trey that way. I see him more as a stretch 4 type player.

23 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

@hoosierfan34

Appreciate the info even if it’s a little vague haha.

since it seems like you have a personal connection to Trey, do you think if Mason Miller committed before him it would help/hurt our chances? 

I would think the two Treys would be more of an overlap of skills then Miller. Patterson can play both 3-4 but I think his physicality would put him very similar to Kaufman even if he gives up an inch or so.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I would think the two Treys would be more of an overlap of skills then Miller. Patterson can play both 3-4 but I think his physicality would put him very similar to Kaufman even if he gives up an inch or so.

I'll be shocked if we get Patterson so I wouldn't worry about that.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think he was in the 50s...I think better indication would be a 5* out of state with no ties to the program...that would signal IU is back and contending.

I don’t think I would rather have Patterson than Kaufman (not saying we can’t have both, but just for argument’s sake). If we get Kauf, Duncomb, Wesley and another non-5 Star guy we’re recruiting that’s one hell of a class that will lead to winning which will “signal” IU is back. 

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think I would rather have Patterson than Kaufman (not saying we can’t have both, but just for argument’s sake). If we get Kauf, Duncomb, Wesley and another non-5 Star guy we’re recruiting that’s one hell of a class that will lead to winning which will “signal” IU is back. 

I am not advocating one over the other...just simply noting that we can have a very good team getting the best players from Indiana year after year but likely to get back to going to final fours etc we are going to need some special players outside of the state to get there. Going out and bringing in a highly ranked kid or two outside the state will be a signal that the program is being seen by young players nationally as a top program.

At this point we are still building the program back up so wherever the best players come from (and since local kids are easier to recruit) I’m in favor of focusing on them but there are certain talents and types of players (big men usually) that you are just going to have a hard time finding consistently in state so you need a national presence to attract them. We have been lucky that the last couple years have been strong in state classes that have had kids that fit our program but it won’t always work out that way. I’m definitely ready to see kids across the country get excited about an IU offer again...it will only mean our rise back to the top is coming faster.

Archived