Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Every time I see Kaufman, I think he’s woefully underrated.  He’s highly skilled, works hard, and is a winner.  He can jump and is working on his explosiveness.  He’s a very smart student.  I’d take him over Trey Patterson any day of the week. 

Bonus. Kaufman would never pre-announce a final list of ten schools.  

I agree about the Kaufman part...kid is very special and I’ve thought he would be a bigger influence on the program since he is likely to play multiple years then say Lander (although I’m thrilled about him too) but I don’t have to take a shot at one kid to build up another. I’d take both...Patterson has a winners attitude too. Things are very different in other parts of the country...what is normal in Indiana isn’t outside there and that is fine. I think both are winners.

I think Patterson will have a good career at Nova.  Jay Wright has a great program and he has the cachet to get his players in line with the right mentality since he’s won big.  The culture is established.  I just think Kaufman is an ideal fit for our circumstance for a variety of reasons.  

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think Patterson will have a good career at Nova.  Jay Wright has a great program and he has the cachet to get his players in line with the right mentality since he’s won big.  The culture is established.  I just think Kaufman is an ideal fit for our circumstance for a variety of reasons.  

Yes...or he will ship them out. I mean Wright has had his run in with entitled 5*s and didn’t let them influence how he runs things..he let them sit the bench and leave. Think he works best in that 30-75 range that I too would like to live in.

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just heard he received an offer from Texas A&M

I've only been clued in a couple times over the last 25 when it comes to recruiting. Noticed he threw it out on his IG so it tells me a couple of things. Kid wants to be recruited. Nothing wrong with that. Don't fault that a bit....but as we know with "us" if he keeps throwing out other offers it will suggest IU isn't what he wants. I know that's not even fair or right but in the recruiting game if you keep advertising others enough....it might suggest something else. Could backfire if it goes on long enough.

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've only been clued in a couple times over the last 25 when it comes to recruiting. Noticed he threw it out on his IG so it tells me a couple of things. Kid wants to be recruited. Nothing wrong with that. Don't fault that a bit....but as we know with "us" if he keeps throwing out other offers it will suggest IU isn't what he wants. I know that's not even fair or right but in the recruiting game if you keep advertising others enough....it might suggest something else. Could backfire if it goes on long enough.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So I guess I'll ask the obvious. Are you trying to agree with me on the recruiting end or not? I don't get into the passive aggressive stuff.

No I am certainly not agreeing with you. I thought providing four examples of IU players/commits tweeting out offers that they received late in the process and not that long before their respective commitments would be obvious enough. I thought your post made zero sense. I do not think your suggestions are grounded in any sort of reality. In fact, I think it is ridiculous to think that tweeting out an offer is somehow an indication that IU isn't what Kaufman wants. 

12 minutes ago, goonaha said:

No I am certainly not agreeing with you. I thought providing four examples of IU players/commits tweeting out offers that they received late in the process and not that long before their respective commitments would be obvious enough. I thought your post made zero sense. I do not think your suggestions are grounded in any sort of reality. In fact, I think it is ridiculous to think that tweeting out an offer is somehow an indication that IU isn't what Kaufman wants. 

Cool. Can you grab the tweets from all the kids who said blessed to receive an offer from IU and choose elsewhere?

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Kind of my point to begin with.

You haven't made a point yet.

Kids who have committed to IU also tweeted out offers from other schools, often schools that had no chance in the recruitment. Kids who have gone elsewhere have also tweeted out offers from other schools. Kids tweet offers. It's what they do. It's how they report news. I for the life of me can't see how you can discern what direction a recruitment is going from those tweets, considering they ALL do it.

2 minutes ago, goonaha said:

You haven't made a point yet.

Kids who have committed to IU also tweeted out offers from other schools, often schools that had no chance in the recruitment. Kids who have gone elsewhere have also tweeted out offers from other schools. Kids tweet offers. It's what they do. It's how they report news. I for the life of me can't see how you can discern what direction a recruitment is going from those tweets, considering they ALL do it.

So let's recap. I said kid wants to be recruited. Nothing wrong with that. Don't fault that a bit I think was my post. I also said "us" implying message board and IU fanatics might take it a different way. I also said it's not even fair or right but in the recruiting game things can look a certain way. 

You followed that up with 4 tweets of players who ended up choosing IU. I said can you tweet the players who didn't? You said my argument/point was dumb. Without saying anything back I suggested the point had flew directly over your keyboard. You doubled down and said I hadn't made a point yet.

Et tu ORDFAN is all I got. Have a good one and Go Hoosiers, right?

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

So let's recap. I said kid wants to be recruited. Nothing wrong with that. Don't fault that a bit I think was my post. I also said "us" implying message board and IU fanatics might take it a different way. I also said it's not even fair or right but in the recruiting game things can look a certain way. 

You followed that up with 4 tweets of players who ended up choosing IU. I said can you tweet the players who didn't? You said my argument/point was dumb. Without saying anything back I suggested the point had flew directly over your keyboard. You doubled down and said I hadn't made a point yet.

Et tu ORDFAN is all I got. Have a good one and Go Hoosiers, right?

I also said you can find those tweets to support your arguments. They obviously exist. I do not feel like doing your work for you. It's not my job to make you coherent.

"if you keep advertising others enough....it might suggest something else. Could backfire if it goes on long enough." Am I correct in assuming this is your main point? Am I correct in extrapolating from these ramblings that you think advertising other offers suggests the player doesn't want to go to IU?

31 minutes ago, mookied39 said:

I think tweeting out offers is a sign of respect to the schools and coaches recruiting you, more than anything else.  

Exactly. Leal had #GoBucks. Oh no! Will he throw the games against OSU his entire career since he's obviously an OSU fan?!?

2 hours ago, mookied39 said:

I think tweeting out offers is a sign of respect to the schools and coaches recruiting you, more than anything else.  

This. I get seekings post...but it’s about honoring the offer from a big time school (even if he doesn’t go there what If he wants to transfer later). Some kids just want more attention..ie followers so when they tweet out a school instantly hardcore fans follow him. Could mean he wants to stack offers to get attention of another school he hasn’t got one from...could mean he loves that school and wants to go there. Could mean nothing and is just a courtesy nod. Could mean any of these things, none of these things, all of them or something totally different. 

I will say this. Funny how we treat kids differently from Indiana then outside. I know I know they are our boys but when Patterson mentions a 10 finalist he wants attention but when Kaufman keeps posting out offers he doesn’t want the attention etc. While different they also are a lot the same. Kids want to be proud of their accomplishments and offers....as they should be. It’s a big deal no matter how you look at it.

As for turning our back on Kaufman I don’t see that happening. Staff or fans...both know how much he means to the program and how special he is. The time and energy put into his recruitment and the roster fit along with being an Indiana kid means he gets a much longer leash so to speak. Kid could come right out and say he wants a Duke offer and we would still accept him....we would just pray he doesn’t get one. So many knowing him and his family I don’t think anyone sees this kid as leading us along etc. he has a lot of goodwill. Be nice if we assume some of these things about the out of state kids instead of assuming they are all glory hogs or attention whores.

@dgambill, did I miss a top 10 list from Kaufman?  Maybe I did...don't recall one.

IMO, there's a difference tweeting out offers and promoting an upcoming top 10 list.  To me, the first is a routine and polite acknowledgement of teams showing interest while the 2nd is an effort to build the hype train.  They're entitled, but I view it as an effort to promote a non-event.  Yay...this recruit will still take calls from IU coaches and 9 other staffs.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I will say this. Funny how we treat kids differently from Indiana then outside. I know I know they are our boys but when Patterson mentions a 10 finalist he wants attention but when Kaufman keeps posting out offers he doesn’t want the attention etc. While different they also are a lot the same. Kids want to be proud of their accomplishments and offers....as they should be. It’s a big deal no matter how you look at it.

It's Ego.

But Ego doesn't have to be framed as a negative. We all have an Ego and it would be silly to think kids are any different. Like you said, players should be proud of their accomplishments. They've put in the work and gotten exactly what they sought out: college scholarship offer(s).

A pessimistic way to view the posting of offers is to feel threatened by them. OR we can think about how the offers merely reinforce the talents of the player. I know we as Hoosiers love to do this with our football recruits: (wow, look at all the SEC teams recruiting him!!), and we use that as a barometer of their skill and talent. 

I have no problem with a player flaunting his offers. The more the better. We all have to be our own champions in many ways, and exhibiting that quality is a sign of strength in my book.

Posting offers equal parts respect, validation, appreciation and self-promotion... all completely acceptable.

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This. I get seekings post...but it’s about honoring the offer from a big time school (even if he doesn’t go there what If he wants to transfer later). Some kids just want more attention..ie followers so when they tweet out a school instantly hardcore fans follow him. Could mean he wants to stack offers to get attention of another school he hasn’t got one from...could mean he loves that school and wants to go there. Could mean nothing and is just a courtesy nod. Could mean any of these things, none of these things, all of them or something totally different. 

As for turning our back on Kaufman I don’t see that happening. Staff or fans...both know how much he means to the program and how special he is. The time and energy put into his recruitment and the roster fit along with being an Indiana kid means he gets a much longer leash so to speak. Kid could come right out and say he wants a Duke offer and we would still accept him....we would just pray he doesn’t get one. So many knowing him and his family I don’t think anyone sees this kid as leading us along etc. he has a lot of goodwill. Be nice if we assume some of these things about the out of state kids instead of assuming they are all glory hogs or attention whores.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to imply or anything else in a negative light for TK. He's been my number 1 since Lander jumped into 2020. Was just bringing up conversation for the message board crowd. I get the nod of respect to other schools....but as we all know when more and more offers come there will be those who say what I suggested was a potential downside to advertising offers. Comes with the territory and yes. In state kids have to deal with so much more. Part of the deal. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks. I wasn't trying to imply or anything else in a negative light for TK. He's been my number 1 since Lander jumped into 2020. Was just bringing up conversation for the message board crowd. I get the nod of respect to other schools....but as we all know when more and more offers come there will be those who say what I suggested was a potential downside to advertising offers. Comes with the territory and yes. In state kids have to deal with so much more. Part of the deal. 

Your fine. I’ve read enough of your posts to know you weren’t trying to be negative. Just informative. I wasn’t either...just saying we treat kids differently depending on what state they are from...we essentially discriminate lol...and FYI discrimination isn’t necessarily a negative thing...

dis·crim·i·na·tion
/dəˌskriməˈnāSH(ə)n/

1. the ability to make or perceive distinctions; perception; discernment 

Now we all know what the definition has come to mean in more recent years...more similar to prejudice. But we do have to be careful that one doesn’t lead to the other with how we form our opinions and perceive our distinctions between kids inside our state and outside. That is kinda my point...we are much quicker to rush to judgement and make assumptions on kids we don’t know as opposed to our own local ones. Fact is I don’t have much in common or think anything like a current teenager and I’m reminded that in my personal life all the time...much less a star athlete. I think we all have to remember to put our own way of thinking in context..these kids have grown up way different then we did..different time and circumstances.

I would say 18 year old star athletes share a lot more in common then not when it comes to wanting recognition and attention for their accomplishments. Whether it is an offer list or a top 10 list it’s just the social media, Twitter, Instagram society they grow up in more than some character flaw or something. In fact many people around them encourage them to put up these lists and put on a “show” for them...sometimes it’s friends (teenagers) and other times it’s their parents/handlers. In the end I listen to what their coaches and teachers say about them and I trust Archie to not recruit a head case....honestly a me first guy wouldn’t fit in with our current crop of kids and I think that says a lot for them and for who Archie does continue to prioritize.

Archived