Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

Trey and Roy talked today.

I am not worried.  I remember, when Roy made a last minute trip to Washington, Indiana.  Attempting to snag Cody Zeller away from IU.  It did not work then. And I highly doubt a late offer for Trey will work either.  Too much distance.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I am not worried.  I remember, when Roy made a last minute trip to Washington, Indiana.  Attempting to snag Cody Zeller away from IU.  It did not work then. And I highly doubt a late offer for Trey will work either.  Too much distance.

He lost Trey on the third Dadgummit

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Trey is a backup plan for UNC (right now). He could move up the list, but that’s where it is today. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Though UNC has been tracking Trey for a while. Heard from a friend.... that today... was the first time Roy has talked to Trey.

Yes. I confirmed that as well. I knew a UNC assistant came to at least one of his games earlier in the year, but never Roy. 

8 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Yes. I confirmed that as well. I knew a UNC assistant came to at least one of his games earlier in the year, but never Roy. 

And, it's worth noting that the game the assistant came to happened to coincide with UNC's visit to Louisville to play the Cards, watching a Friday night SC game in advance of a Saturday afternoon UNC/UL game.  Seems odd that Roy couldn't find a couple of hours on Friday night to do the same.

On the same subject, I don't know that Cal has ever watched Trey play either.

Trey knows that he is a priority for us and will have a huge role cut out for him here. I understand why kids like UNC. They okay an up tempo type of ball and typically play with other highly touted recruits that make it easier on them. It’s an attractive place to play and a track record of putting players in the NBA...but if the kid wants the opportunity to be a leader and the focal point of an offense...put on the candy stripes.

With all of the UNC talk because of their offer, I got a fun fact that I learned about them today. With all of the high ranked recruits and future first round draft picks they get year after year you think they'd have a bunch of recent NBA all-stars, right? Well, the most recent player they've had that went on to be an NBA All-Star.....Vince Carter who's last year with UNC was 1998.

I know IU basically has Oladipo and after that you'd have to go even further back (so a bit of stones and glass houses), but pretty interesting to see since I feel like a lot of people would put UNC up there with a Duke or Kentucky in churning out future great NBA players year after year.

2 hours ago, PritchardPutBack said:

With all of the UNC talk because of their offer, I got a fun fact that I learned about them today. With all of the high ranked recruits and future first round draft picks they get year after year you think they'd have a bunch of recent NBA all-stars, right? Well, the most recent player they've had that went on to be an NBA All-Star.....Vince Carter who's last year with UNC was 1998.

I know IU basically has Oladipo and after that you'd have to go even further back (so a bit of stones and glass houses), but pretty interesting to see since I feel like a lot of people would put UNC up there with a Duke or Kentucky in churning out future great NBA players year after year.

No offense, but I couldn’t disagree more.

Roy has coached 15 seasons at UNC. In those 15 seasons, he has had 13 players drafted in the lottery and another 12 drafted after. Heck, I think Duke’s only had 2 AS guys in the last 15 years (Kyrie & Tatum..maybe BI?)

Most of these high profile kids are focused on getting to the league and I think he’s been 1 of the 3 best at doing it the last decade or so. Hardly any rookie is ever an All-Star and the critical development needed to get to that level typically occurs in the league. Can’t blame ole’ Roy for that. 

buuut..tides change quickly. We’re on the right track to one day not having all of us fans panic at seeing our top target get a UNC or Duke offer lol

If there are no recruiting visits all the way through next April as many are starting to believe then it would be hard for a guy like Trey to pick a school he has never seen.  I actually feel bad for players like that.  He has good options but guys aren't really getting to see the full fruits of all of their hard work and take in a once in a lifetime opportunity.  We'll probably see more transfers than ever coming from this 21 class.

From the story about the UNC offer on UNC's Rivals Page.  Something seems to be missing.:coffee:

North Carolina has offered 2021 power forward 

A 4-star prospect who attends Silver Creek High School in Sellersburg, IN, Kaufman is 6-foot-8 and weighs 210 pounds. He’s rated the No. 39 overall prospect in the nation and the No. 11 player at his position. He shot up from No. 83 in the most recent Rivals rankings.

Among Kaufman’s offers are from Virginia, Louisville, Purdue, Cincinnati and Xavier.

https://northcarolina.rivals.com/news/unc-offers-2021-pf-trey-kaufman

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

From the story about the UNC offer on UNC's Rivals Page.  Something seems to be missing.:coffee:

North Carolina has offered 2021 power forward 

A 4-star prospect who attends Silver Creek High School in Sellersburg, IN, Kaufman is 6-foot-8 and weighs 210 pounds. He’s rated the No. 39 overall prospect in the nation and the No. 11 player at his position. He shot up from No. 83 in the most recent Rivals rankings.

Among Kaufman’s offers are from Virginia, Louisville, Purdue, Cincinnati and Xavier.

https://northcarolina.rivals.com/news/unc-offers-2021-pf-trey-kaufman

Indiana is there, it's just invisible like some of UNC's classes.

Invisible GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Indiana is there, it's just invisible like some of UNC's classes.

Invisible GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Hey.  UNC funneled athletes through paper classes for JUST 18 years, to keep them eligible.  So what's the problem with that ?  After all, it was for JUST 18 years.

I will take academic fraud for $1,000. Alex. 

UNC athletics report finds 18 years of academic fraud - CNN

And I don't care if the NCAA could not hang UNC for it.  The fact is. It happened. For EIGHTEEN years !

1 minute ago, NY hoosier said:

Do you think schools like UNC/ Duke worry that IU will return to top tier status. Or are we just an afterthought 

Presently ?  I think IU is an after thought to both those two schools.  Had we made the tournament this past season... IU would have had a chance to change that.  Darned pandemic.  And it may stay that way. Again. Darned pandemic.

You have been a member of HSN 3.0 since inception.  Always good to hear from you.  And do me a favor..... stay safe !

20 minutes ago, NY hoosier said:

Do you think schools like UNC/ Duke worry that IU will return to top tier status. Or are we just an afterthought 

Afterthought, but they know with the talent in this state, we will always be a sleeping giant t, that if awoken, will hurt their recruiting and their W-L records.

1 hour ago, NY hoosier said:

I doubt they care at all just like we should not worry about what those school do as well.  I doubt RMK worried about what schools he was going up against he recruiting.  He probably stopped recruiting kids if he knew that certain schools like UK was recruiting a player because he knew it was not a clean recruitment.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Presently ?  I think IU is an after thought to both those two schools.  Had we made the tournament this past season... IU would have had a chance to change that.  Darned pandemic.  And it may stay that way. Again. Darned pandemic.

You have been a member of HSN 3.0 since inception.  Always good to hear from you.  And do me a favor..... stay safe !

Thanks I go back earlier but have mostly been a lurker. I must say this board is by far the best community I have joined. I am so appreciative of the other posters but mostly those who have created and maintain this treasure! And yes staying safe up here in the east!

4 minutes ago, NY hoosier said:

Thanks I go back earlier but have mostly been a lurker. I must say this board is by far the best community I have joined. I am so appreciative of the other posters but mostly those who have created and maintain this treasure! And yes staying safe up here in the east!

Many of our HSN 3.0 members go all the way back to HSN 1.0. And even back to John Decker's Hoosier Nation on the old Scout board.  In fact... and I have told this story before... Colonial Crestor's first post on Decker's Hoosier Nation.... got him banned by Decker's friend... The Fourth Estate.  TFE, just did not understand CC's humor. 

Over the years. Some have maintained their user name. Others have changed.  But many continue to remain faithful to HSN.  Which I am grateful for.

Archived