Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

4 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

TJD is done after this year. Not trying to stick the pen in the balloon, but that’s been his plan this whole time. 

Probably true but with so many guys coming back this year it might change his mind.  Also right now he is ranked like the 45th best prospect and if he thinks another year could move him into a first round pick it would be smart to come back.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Been saying it for a.long time Logan Duncomb is the real deal. 4 yr player that will surprise many. High motor great work ethic,  well. Coached. We got a really good one

I am excited about him, the comment that resonates most with me from your assessment is “4 year player”.  I remember when early entry wasn’t even a discussion. 

Just now, Threedom said:

I am excited about him, the comment that resonates most with me from your assessment is “4 year player”.  I remember when early entry wasn’t even a discussion. 

Not saying he couldn't make that jump but I believe he will be a fan favorite and not have to be a big contributing player from day 1

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Probably true but with so many guys coming back this year it might change his mind.  Also right now he is ranked like the 45th best prospect and if he thinks another year could move him into a first round pick it would be smart to come back.

While definitely preferred if you’re a player, being a first rounder isn’t as big of a deal as it used to be. The gap between first rounder and second rounder has closed tremendously over the last several years since the 3rd and 4th years of the 1st round rookie contracts are now team options. 

You’re almost better off being a high second rounder than a late 1st rounder. If you pan out, a team can lock a late first rounder in for cheap for years 3 and 4, but a second rounder can be a free agent. 

Edit: For example, Thomas Bryant makes more than OG Anunoby right now. Bryant signed a 3-year $25M contract already, while OG is still on his rookie deal making about $2.3M with still another year on that deal. 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well I look at it this way...would Trey rather play with Furst or Duncomb?? That question should have been answered...and a chance to play with Khristian along with Leal and Trey...let’s get the band back together guys!!

I agree. You would think/hope that Kaufman will be positively influenced by how well he and Duncomb play together. 

What a huge boost seeing Duncomb absolutely school Furst.  Makes that Turdue pitch about Kaufman playing with Furst sound absurd by comparison to playing at IU with Duncomb.  Reminds me of the Cody Zeller/Travis Carroll matchup that was billed as a legit battle by Turdue fans.

Duncomb is already a fan favorite in my book.

Talked to Trey on Saturday.  He is thinking through some pretty unique stuff in what has been a frustrating summer.

I've said for months that I like where IU is here, and I feel even more confident in that assessment now.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-trey-kaufman-navigating-recruiting-obstacles-pondering-contingencies-as-process-winds-down/

28 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great interview, Mike.  I appreciate it greatly.  

As always, you deliver the goods Mike!

As for Trey, the thing that always stands out to me is that this young man has his stuff together.

Maybe just smart, maybe great parents, maybe both. But Trey just seems grounded and wise beyond his hears.

Oh, and he is pretty darn good at basketball. Lol

31 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

As for Trey, the thing that always stands out to me is that this young man has his stuff together.

Maybe just smart, maybe great parents, maybe both. But Trey just seems grounded and wise beyond his hears.

Thanks.

He really is an impressive young man.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Trey has one of the best, most solid support systems a kid could hope for. While his father isn’t super active in his life, his mother and her parents are VERY active in Trey’s life and are great influences for him. Not to mention his uncles were both terrific HS players for Silver Creek (with one becoming a HOFer in college). And his step-grandfather is the recently retired and very successful former Athletic Director from Silver Creek. Plus, Trey has always been surrounded by tremendous coaching, both from an Xs and Os standpoint AND from a mental/life guidance perspective. He’s a very smart kid, yes, but he’s also surrounded by some of the best influencers you could imagine. 

Archived