Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

10 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Trey has one of the best, most solid support systems a kid could hope for. While his father isn’t super active in his life, his mother and her parents are VERY active in Trey’s life and are great influences for him. Not to mention his uncles were both terrific HS players for Silver Creek (with one becoming a HOFer in college). And his step-grandfather is the recently retired and very successful former Athletic Director from Silver Creek. Plus, Trey has always been surrounded by tremendous coaching, both from an Xs and Os standpoint AND from a mental/life guidance perspective. He’s a very smart kid, yes, but he’s also surrounded by some of the best influencers you could imagine. 

So he doesn't hang out with @5fouls ? Thats what I took from that.  I knew Trey was smart!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

What a huge boost seeing Duncomb absolutely school Furst.  Makes that Turdue pitch about Kaufman playing with Furst sound absurd by comparison to playing at IU with Duncomb.  Reminds me of the Cody Zeller/Travis Carroll matchup that was billed as a legit battle by Turdue fans.

Duncomb is already a fan favorite in my book.

It was only one game I think Kaufman knows he could play well alongside Furst. Most Purdue fans I knew were well aware that Zeller was clearly the better player than Carroll. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It was only one game I think Kaufman knows he could play well alongside Furst. Most Purdue fans I knew were well aware that Zeller was clearly the better player than Carroll. 

He's never actually played with Furst.  Meanwhile, he's been Duncomb's AAU teammate for the last two seasons.  Big difference in 'knowing' if you ask me.  

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think they could play together...but I also think Kaufman will be a stretch 4 (imo) with a traditional center and 3 guard (wings). Even if he can play on the outside at times he will play some post...and to me Furst is primarily a 4 somewhat a 5. I’d think Kaufman would push Furst to the bench for you guys.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think they could play together...but I also think Kaufman will be a stretch 4 (imo) with a traditional center and 3 guard (wings). Even if he can play on the outside at times he will play some post...and to me Furst is primarily a 4 somewhat a 5. I’d think Kaufman would push Furst to the bench for you guys.

I think we could have a lineup where we have Furst and Kaufman both in at the 5 and 4. Similar to what we had with Swanigan and Vince Edwards at the 4/5 (not saying Furst is Biggie) but neither of them were traditional centers but they could both play inside and out. 

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Ha...I knew I could draw you out. 😜

Again, I'm speaking of the crowd on GBI, but they were talking some pretty serious smack back before Zeller and Carroll actually played against each other.

Of course, these are the same fools that keep feverishly updating the "XXX number of days since IU beat Purdue in basketball" thread every week like they know what is coming if the season gets played.  I'm not sure how we'd reference or update "infinity" if we had a post talking about how many days it's been since Turdue hung a real national championship banner.

If Kaufman announces for IU Wesley may well eliminate Turdue just thinking about facing that twin monster.

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think we could have a lineup where we have Furst and Kaufman both in at the 5 and 4. Similar to what we had with Swanigan and Vince Edwards at the 4/5 (not saying Furst is Biggie) but neither of them were traditional centers but they could both play inside and out. 

Yes at times...but as far as a staring lineup I didn’t see both starting next to each other with Williams there..at least right away...and I’m sure they both expect to come in and start.

Great thing about our offense is we see the 4 spend plenty of time facing up and handling the ball on the wings...so Trey would have the best of both worlds playing 4 for us. We just don’t have enough size to play him much at 3 because that would mean like Race and Logan playing 4 and 5??? Just not likely Archie would put that lineup out there.

8 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

It's Indiana or Virginia and for it to be UVA a lot of things need to happen sooner than later.

Further, Indiana is going to pursue a player aggressively that is similar to Kaufman. So, the ball is kind of in his court. 

Are you referring to Bryce Hopkins or a new recruiting offer?

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

What a huge boost seeing Duncomb absolutely school Furst.  Makes that Turdue pitch about Kaufman playing with Furst sound absurd by comparison to playing at IU with Duncomb.  Reminds me of the Cody Zeller/Travis Carroll matchup that was billed as a legit battle by Turdue fans.

Duncomb is already a fan favorite in my book.

It was nice seeing that from Duncomb I was impressed!! Although Furst is probably more of a 4 than a 5 like Duncomb is. Duncomb was just to big and long for him. First did guard Kaufman some which is a type of matchup he will have in college guarding the 4’s on the other team. With all that being said, Kaufman looks a lot better!! Kaufman is a pro after 1-2 years. Furst looking more like a 3-4 year guy. 

one thing I did notice is Duncomb scored almost all of his point going to the right side. Why didn’t Furst adjust and force him left I have no idea. 

24 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

What position do you see Hopkins playing in college? He looks to slow and a not good enough shooter for a SF, but too short to be a PF. Also, if Wesley or Hopkins commit to IU does that push the other player too commit as well?

Hes 6'7. He can play the 4 in college. Probably would be a match up nightmare there.  

The whole "if Kaufman was going to commit to Indiana, it would have happened already" is such a cop out answer.  The exact same thing was said about TJD and we know how that turned out.  The kid wants to take visits before deciding.  Had that happened maybe it would have already been done.  It is August before he can sign, not April after he already could have. 

I honestly don't think the UNC offer effects where Kaufman will go at all.  It's a prestigious offer, no doubt.  And, one he, or any recruit, should be proud of receiving.  But. my gut tells me this is an IU versus UVA decision, and I think it's been that way for a while.  

Archived