Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never said I thought those were better situations just predicting where I think he will end up. I sure hope I am wrong with this gut feeling because we really need him to come to IU.  It will bring another top in state player who probably will be Mr. basketball which shows we are keeping the top layers in state.

I hear you...I just don't agree.  I see more compelling reasons to stay in Indiana and I wonder, aside from a recent championship , what they have to offer that is head and shoulders above IU.  I can think of several reasons IU would be preferable, starting with ability for family to attend games more easily and the ability to play with good players he is already comfortable with.  I think you could also argue a better track record of getting players to the NBA but I haven't researched that to verify.  No doubt, Virginia is a solid offer, but looking at a couple of recent forum guesses, I felt compelled to share why I disagreed.  I just don't see it at all and I find it strange that IU fans feel compelled to make the case for Virginia here.  That's Tony Bennett's job.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I hear you...I just don't agree.  I see more compelling reasons to stay in Indiana and I wonder, aside from a recent championship , what they have to offer that is head and shoulders above IU.  I can think of several reasons IU would be preferable, starting with ability for family to attend games more easily and the ability to play with good players he is already comfortable with.  I think you could also argue a better track record of getting players to the NBA but I haven't researched that to verify.  No doubt, Virginia is a solid offer, but looking at a couple of recent forum guesses, I felt compelled to share why I disagreed.  I just don't see it at all and I find it strange that IU fans feel compelled to make the case for Virginia here.  That's Tony Bennett's job.

I guess my thinking is that if he was so sold on IU he would have already committed.  He knows the campus and all the players do if he was so comfortable here I would have thought he would have committed.  Also maybe he wants to leave the state or UVA has what he is looking for academically.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess my thinking is that if he was so sold on IU he would have already committed.  He knows the campus and all the players do if he was so comfortable here I would have thought he would have committed.  Also maybe he wants to leave the state or UVA has what he is looking for academically.

Family wants to watch him.  Covid may have changed that. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I hope he stays home but I thought someone said his mother would move wherever he went

I believe you are correct. About his mother moving.  Now , with the Pandemic... the question remains, which conference will allow families to sit in the stands. 

Seems crazy to me to move where your kid is going to college. First, what college kid would want that? Second, what if he plays well and goes to the NBA in a year or two, as a parent I'm not uprooting my entire life for a year or two. 

Let the kid breathe and have some space. It's part of life. To each their own, just seems odd to me. 

On the larger topic. Why do we have to do this every year? The fact that he hasn't committed yet is zero indication of how he feels about IU. Zeller, Yogi, Langford, TJD, etc, none of them had committed by this point in their recruitment. 

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Seems crazy to me to move where your kid is going to college. First, what college kid would want that? Second, what if he plays well and goes to the NBA in a year or two, as a parent I'm not uprooting my entire life for a year or two. 

Let the kid breathe and have some space. It's part of life. To each their own, just seems odd to me. 

On the larger topic. Why do we have to do this every year? The fact that he hasn't committed yet is zero indication of how he feels about IU. Zeller, Yogi, Langford, TJD, etc, none of them had committed by this point in their recruitment. 

It’s easier to panic than be patient 

:panic:

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yeah it’s still early but we had so many that had him locked into Indiana months ago as a commitment. I think people are getting nervous. Langford taking his time helped us as we Weren’t even in the battle really. Under Archie I guess Trayce was a little later but seems he had silently committed much earlier. We really just have the Brooks commitment to base off of and we got burned when he kinda changes his lean late.

If I had to bet, I’d say it’s IU. They’ve been recruiting him the longest, sounds like he has a great relationship with the staff (especially Ostrom). I think the fact that he has more in-state than out of state schools leads me to think he’s emotionally leaning towards staying closer to home. My gut says if it was UVA or UNC, he’d wait until the spring to get a chance for an official visit, instead of committing based on a self-guided tour.  

I know he said his family would move to stay close to him but with the current state of the country and millions on unemployment, I don’t see getting a job and relocating as something that’s all that plausible atm.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I was not worrying or panicking but just stated my prediciton where I thought he will end up.

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Right. I'm not saying he feels the need to play for the fastest team...just that one of the slowest teams may not be appealing. 

You're also looking at their NC team...not the typical even slower-paced less efficient Virginia team.

Also, one thing IU has not struggled with is sending kids to the NBA.  I don't see an IU decision being at all detrimental to his chances of playing professionally. While you're in the mood to research, I'm curious how many former Virginia players were on active NBA rosters this just-concluded season vs. IU alums.

I did not look to see how many of these guys got meaningful playing time etc but, according to this site, IU had 9 players in the NBA this season and UVA 7. Probably does not tilt the scale either way.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-Ten-Conference/2/Indiana/97/nba-players

UVA is definitely one of the best State schools in the country, has a beautiful campus and good coach but hopefully our tradition, campus, coach, familiar players, “home state” and much closer campus win out. We will see....

5 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

I’d be shocked if anyone gets wind of it before he announced. He’s been good at keeping it tight-lipped to this point. I like IU’s chances though. Think it’s an IU/PU battle here. 

Does this imply he has reached a decision? Doesn’t seem like a kid who would self-impose a deadline to force himself to decide.

Archived