Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IU Scott said:

Just gping by rankings

Rankings are for the nba imo. Based more on potential. No doubt in my mind Kaufman is the better player. I’m thrilled with Lander we need aMother point guard really bad but Kaufman was my #1 recruit on our list. Even over Aminu. Who knows we may still get him but I guess it would surprise me that Purdue get both Trey and Furst. That’s a kick to the nuts.

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Haven’t heard anything different but haven’t asked either.  Frankly I don’t care anymore where recruits go.  We have plenty of good players and a good coach.  If TK goes to PU good for him.  We will survive.

Frankly, the hype machine on Trey has always been too high here IMO.  I think it’d be fun to see Geronimo cover him up at West Lafayette.  With Galloway on Ivey.  With Duncomb on Furst. Lot of good players.  Let’s go.  Would be fun.    

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Rankings are for the nba imo. Based more on potential. No doubt in my mind Kaufman is the better player. I’m thrilled with Lander we need aMother point guard really bad but Kaufman was my #1 recruit on our list. Even over Aminu. Who knows we may still get him but I guess it would surprise me that Purdue get both Trey and Furst. That’s a kick to the nuts.

Well it hasn't happened yet

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Frankly, the hype machine on Trey has always been too high here IMO.  I think it’d be fun to see Geronimo cover him up at West Lafayette.  With Galloway on Ivey.  With Duncomb on Furst. Lot of good players.  Let’s go.  Would be fun.    

To me if we don't get him the Geronimo is the same type of player and way better athlete.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You and I line up a lot but I don’t see that at all.  

So does Trey go to Purdue to tell Furst “ok buddy, so this is how you can try to not get owned by Logan in a game again...” Heck, if who his teammates will be has anything to do with where he wants to go then I would certainly keep that matchup in mind. Purdue fans will say “oh that was only one game”, but it sure does show what Duncomb is able to do...and Trey would already be comfortable playing with him. 

34 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree Bob.  I hope we get Trey, but he's never felt like a program changing player to me.  

23 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I agree Bob.  I hope we get Trey, but he's never felt like a program changing player to me.  

I agree with this too, with the caveat that it is a bit concerning that Archie & Co. don't appear to have much of a back-up plan should Kaufman go elsewhere. Miller strikes me as a different kind of player, and Hopkins appears to be a long-shot at this point. I though it the roster could use at least two bigs in the '21 class, but if Kaufman goes to Purdue it's hard to see where we get an impact forward to join Duncomb in this class.

20 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I agree with this too, with the caveat that it is a bit concerning that Archie & Co. don't appear to have much of a back-up plan should Kaufman go elsewhere. Miller strikes me as a different kind of player, and Hopkins appears to be a long-shot at this point. I though it the roster could use at least two bigs in the '21 class, but if Kaufman goes to Purdue it's hard to see where we get an impact forward to join Duncomb in this class.

He had some backups we just struck out with those too.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

He had some backups we just struck out with those too.

We lost two east coast guys to Villanova who has won 2 championships in the last 5 years.  Also Goode  might be a descent role player but we did not recruit him that hard.  It seems like the Indiana teams have backed off of Wesley so who did really really swing and miss on.  By the way Trey has not committed yet so until he does I amn not counting him out.

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

So does Trey go to Purdue to tell Furst “ok buddy, so this is how you can try to not get owned by Logan in a game again...” Heck, if who his teammates will be has anything to do with where he wants to go then I would certainly keep that matchup in mind. Purdue fans will say “oh that was only one game”, but it sure does show what Duncomb is able to do...and Trey would already be comfortable playing with him. 

Awful small sample size to go off of. Duncomb did look good but I wouldn’t read too much into one AAU game. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We lost two east coast guys to Villanova who has won 2 championships in the last 5 years.  Also Goode  might be a descent role player but we did not recruit him that hard.  It seems like the Indiana teams have backed off of Wesley so who did really really swing and miss on.  By the way Trey has not committed yet so until he does I amn not counting him out.

Yeah but we’ve really been trying to fill that 4 position for a few years now. First Brooks, then Garcia, now Patterson, Furst, and Kaufman possibly. Long shot for Hopkins and probably not Miller either.

Just now, dgambill said:

Yeah but we’ve really been trying to fill that 4 position for a few years now. First Brooks, then Garcia, now Patterson, Furst, and Kaufman possibly. Long shot for Hopkins and probably not Miller either.

We have filled the spots, I get it some just want to look at things half empty but that is a terrible way to live.  Archie said many times he don't want to use all 13 scholarships so I don't see a problem.  Again even with a HOF coach in RMKhe didn't get all the top in state players and never got the Mr. Basketball 3 years in a row.  Yes Trey is a very good prospect but he is like a top 40 player and it is not like we would lose a top 10 player.  I hated losing Eric Montross a lot more than if we lose Trey.

1 minute ago, Hoosier83 said:

Can somebody tell me why do many think Trey is going to PU? Was it from a reliable source? 

Just Miles saying he had heard from somone that there is a lot of talk about him going to PU. Until I start seeing national guys who has good sources start flipping I am not going to worry about it.  Some people just freak out at the first sight of a problem and just go over board with negativity.   like I said I hope he comes to IU but if not we will move on to another player.

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Awful small sample size to go off of. Duncomb did look good but I wouldn’t read too much into one AAU game. 

Well I knew you would say that, haha... but I don’t disagree with you. I agree that it’s a small sample size of the matchup between them, but I said it showed what we got in Duncomb and what he is able to do. Was just having fun with the owning Furst part.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just Miles saying he had heard from somone that there is a lot of talk about him going to PU. Until I start seeing national guys who has good sources start flipping I am not going to worry about it.  Some people just freak out at the first sight of a problem and just go over board with negativity.   like I said I hope he comes to IU but if not we will move on to another player.

It’s more than mile. Purdue rivals guy dropped a pretty big hint today. 

Archived