Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Trey is going to make the best decision for him.  And, that's the way it should be.  

This quote of his is from ITH -- It pretty straightforwardly sets out both his key factors, and those that really most recruits strongly consider:

“I think that the relationships with the coaches as well as the players,” Kaufman said. “Their ability to develop me, being an NBA player. How much playing time I would get. And how much they’re going to win. I think those four things are the big four.”

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, btroesch14 said:

Quit downplaying how much impact Kaufman would have on IU. You’re only saying this because some people now think he is going to Purdue.  

Yeah.  Disappointing that we're already headed down that road.  Not a good look.  Something we make fun of fans from other programs when they do it.

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just keep coming back to this...

As someone mentioned, October 30th will be CAM's 42nd birthday. Now, Trey has been very thorough and methodical in this process, so I would think, though not sure by any means, that he is aware of that fact. If not before the date was announced, then surely afterwards.

He seems like such a nice kid, that to me, it seems impossible that he would opt for our hated rival on our coach's birthday...

Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I sure couldn't do that...If I had found out after the fact, I would have moved the date...

I think he's coming to Bloomington...

I'm surprised at how many people think he should have known that was Archie's birthday.  I'm not even sure half the players on the team would know that.  And, if they did, why would they share that with Trey in casual conversation?  

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm surprised at how many people think he should have known that was Archie's birthday.  I'm not even sure half the players on the team would know that.  And, if they did, why would they share that with Trey in casual conversation?  

Maybe because Birthdays seem to be a big deal on the #IUBB Twitter page, and I know young people follow Twitter very closely?

I still like where we stand. I may be wrong. Won’t be first time, nor last time.  I keep going to the selected day of announcement. I just find it hard to believe he would pick PU on CAM’s birthday. I know it’s been mentioned how he may possibly know that. Personally, I just believe he does. He’s no stranger to the program since he’s been recruited for so long...

takes me back to romeos announcement. The criteria that led up to it, crowd, etc. just made it scream IU. This does too. Just my opinion. If I’m wrong, oh well.

33 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Here is my take. The only way that info has been leaked is if Trey has notified the staff and PU can't keep it secret and ruined the kids surprise. 

I still like where we stand and have not had anyone close to IU program tell me differently 

Very good point. Shoot we know Archie can keep things quiet i.e. TJD had already signed for 10+ days and not a peep. If word starts spreading this week (if it is Purdue) that's not a good look for their staff. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Guys, nobody has said he’s not a good player.  Nobody.   

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

I still like where we stand. I may be wrong. Won’t be first time, nor last time.  I keep going to the selected day of announcement. I just find it hard to believe he would pick PU on CAM’s birthday. I know it’s been mentioned how he may possibly know that. Personally, I just believe he does. He’s no stranger to the program since he’s been recruited for so long...

takes me back to romeos announcement. The criteria that led up to it, crowd, etc. just made it scream IU. This does too. Just my opinion. If I’m wrong, oh well.

I like your thinking ....

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

I hear you.  You might be right. None of us knows.  However, the Purdue insider—who has always been solid—seems to actually know something.   Then you have IU already recruiting the Mustapha kid from Norway who is decidedly a four and class of 2021.   My best guess is the Purdue insider really does know something.  In his business, credibility is everything.  He can’t blow it.  For example, if he whiffs on this, he will be a joke, and we will literally ignore anything he says.  He’s not taking that risk.  

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I hear you.  You might be right. None of us knows.  However, the Purdue insider—who has always been solid—seems to actually know something.   Then you have IU already recruiting the Mustapha kid from Norway who is decidedly a four and class of 2021.   My best guess is the Purdue insider really does know something.  In his business, credibility is everything.  He can’t blow it.  For example, if he whiffs on this, he will be a joke, and we will literally ignore anything he says.  He’s not taking that risk.  

I’ll echo this too. He didn’t post anything like that when Harrison Ingram was deciding. 

A year ago, after the hububb over the kid from MN was over (I don't even remember his name now, lol) I vowed not to get all wound up over a recruit.

I want us to get the best players.  If they're from the state - even better.  But primarily I want to see us excel on the court.  Whether CAM does it with McD's players, or a squad of unknowns, I hunger for "basketball superiority". 

Al Davis said it - just win, baby.

4 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

A year ago, after the hububb over the kid from MN was over (I don't even remember his name now, lol) I vowed not to get all wound up over a recruit.

I want us to get the best players.  If they're from the state - even better.  But primarily I want to see us excel on the court.  Whether CAM does it with McD's players, or a squad of unknowns, I hunger for "basketball superiority". 

Al Davis said it - just win, baby.

That’s the real issue.  The B1G is brutal.  This is big boy basketball. Can Archie break through and start winning tough games consistently?  We haven’t seen it yet.  He won’t have forever to prove he can do it.   

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This should be a fun thread this week. Love that positions are getting clearly defined/entrenched....especially how we as fans should act if the kid chooses a rival. Haha. Got it. 

Yeah, already this morning reading through this thread my emotions have been jumping like the needle on Michael Avenatti's polygraph test...

I think if he chooses PU, it is because he thinks they develop big men. I don't see it. PU's bigs are good college players, but have yet to make the jump to the next level. Haas and Hammons are in the G-league. Haas was not even drafted. PU's bigs play with their back to the basket and the NBA has moved away from that style. During the Edward years he had a green light which opened up the paint. However, most years have been completely different. Swanigan was highly touted before going to PU and most talked one and done. After two years he left PU for a late first round pick and a fading NBA career. If you ask if Painter is a good coach I say,"yes". Does he develop players into his system.  Yes, he does. Does he develop players for good NBA careers? No, not really. If the young man chooses PU then that is his choice and I wish him the best. I would love to have him on our team, but in the end it is his choice. He has earned it.

Archived