Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

10 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

I think if he chooses PU, it is because he thinks they develop big men. I don't see it. PU's bigs are good college players, but have yet to make the jump to the next level. Haas and Hammons are in the G-league. Haas was not even drafted. PU's bigs play with their back to the basket and the NBA has moved away from that style. During the Edward years he had a green light which opened up the paint. However, most years have been completely different. Swanigan was highly touted before going to PU and most talked one and done. After two years he left PU for a late first round pick and a fading NBA career. If you ask if Painter is a good coach I say,"yes". Does he develop players into his system.  Yes, he does. Does he develop players for good NBA careers? No, not really. If the young man chooses PU then that is his choice and I wish him the best. I would love to have him on our team, but in the end it is his choice. He has earned it.

Not to differ with you. However.  Trey is all about academics and relationships with head coaches.  He has established a great relationship with Coach Miller. Something he was not able to do on his unofficial visits to UNC and VA with his mom when they just walked both those campuses on their dime.  Despite what I have been told.... and posted earlier in this thread.... I have yet to give up hope. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

I think if he chooses PU, it is because he thinks they develop big men. I don't see it. PU's bigs are good college players, but have yet to make the jump to the next level. Haas and Hammons are in the G-league. Haas was not even drafted. PU's bigs play with their back to the basket and the NBA has moved away from that style. During the Edward years he had a green light which opened up the paint. However, most years have been completely different. Swanigan was highly touted before going to PU and most talked one and done. After two years he left PU for a late first round pick and a fading NBA career. If you ask if Painter is a good coach I say,"yes". Does he develop players into his system.  Yes, he does. Does he develop players for good NBA careers? No, not really. If the young man chooses PU then that is his choice and I wish him the best. I would love to have him on our team, but in the end it is his choice. He has earned it.

I think it was a mixed bag with respect to Swanigan being a one and done. He had/has limitations that were never going to allow him to be a lottery pick regardless of where he played in college. Haas was never going to be an NBA guy in this day in age. Maybe 30 years ago sure. Hammons issue was never his physical abilities it was always between his ears. Painter developed him very well but Hammons didn’t have the drive to be great in my honest opinion. It’s not Painter’s job to ensure they have long and successful careers in the NBA. Once they leave Purdue, it’s up to them. 

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not to differ with you. However.  Trey is all about academics and relationships with head coaches.  He has established a great relationship with Coach Miller. Something he was not able to do on his unofficial visits to UNC and VA with his mom when they just walked both those campuses on their dime.  Despite what I have been told.... and posted earlier in this thread.... I have yet to give up hope. 

I wonder if the academics aren't a bigger factor than people realize?  Yes, he's interested in basketball, but he has interests beyond that too.  At least, this seems to be what Mile and others close to the young man have implied.

14 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I wonder if the academics aren't a bigger factor than people realize?  Yes, he's interested in basketball, but he has interests beyond that too.  At least, this seems to be what Mile and others close to the young man have implied.

Trey has been known to stay after class to figure out an answer to an untimed test, before handing it in.  This is not your normal high school BB standout.  He is a standout in the classroom.  Well on his way to being number one in his class.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Trey has been known to stay after class to figure out an answer to an untimed test, before handing it in.  This is not your normal high school BB standout.  He is a standout in the classroom.  Well on his way to being number one in his class.

This is exactly my point.  If PU has a better academic appeal, then that may be the deciding factor...and not basketball.  Just something to consider.

39 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think it was a mixed bag with respect to Swanigan being a one and done. He had/has limitations that were never going to allow him to be a lottery pick regardless of where he played in college. Haas was never going to be an NBA guy in this day in age. Maybe 30 years ago sure. Hammons issue was never his physical abilities it was always between his ears. Painter developed him very well but Hammons didn’t have the drive to be great in my honest opinion. It’s not Painter’s job to ensure they have long and successful careers in the NBA. Once they leave Purdue, it’s up to them. 

Compare Thomas Bryant, Cody Zeller. It’s not any college coach’s job to develop any player for the NBA, it’s their job to build a winning college program. But the elite incoming players are looking for development to the NBA, college is a step towards their goal not the destination, and IU has a better track record all around for developing players to the NBA. It’s one factor but it favors IU 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Compare Thomas Bryant, Cody Zeller. It’s not any college coach’s job to develop any player for the NBA, it’s their job to build a winning college program. But the elite incoming players are looking for development to the NBA, college is a step towards their goal not the destination, and IU has a better track record all around for developing players to the NBA. It’s one factor but it favors IU 

Fair points no doubt 

We just have to realize that this decision is about what is best for him.  We as fans think we know what is best for a kid but we are looking at it selfishly.  Just because a kid chooses another school it shouldn't be looked as a failure for the schools that he doesn't choose.  If he thinks Purdue is a better but for him then that is where he should go.

3 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I just got a text that Peegs just went 100% crystal ball for IU. Anyone want to check?

Take this for what it's worth, which may not be much. 

I post on an Indiana high school basketball message board where one of the more active posters is a Silver Creek fan. I'm not going to link it because you need an account and username to view the board. I think the poster is a UK fan, not really sure, but in any case, he's anti-IU and spent all summer trying to convince everyone why Virginia was the best fit for Trey. He even went as far as criticizing Romeo Langford for coming here and how it hurt his draft stock. Anyway, last week when Trey's announcement date came up, he told everyone it was IU and was pretty salty about it. 

Could he be wrong? Sure, but just wanted to provide another perspective. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

He has made an awful lot of trips to Bloomington over the last couple of years and has made alot of comments about having good relationships with his teammates and coaches. I just don't see him pulling the trigger for Purdue. Most around here (I am 4 miles from Sellersburg) still believe that IU is the choice. I am not wavering from that being my pick. Just like my feelings about Romeo, which if many of you recall, folks were bailing on their thoughts of him choosing IU a week before, my gut hunch is still 'the Candystripes'!

Just now, Moyeneeded said:

C'mon 5fouls, you're local like me! Are you doubting an IU get lol!

I honestly could see it go either way and either choice would be understandable.  Of course I want IU, but will root for Trey regardless of his choice.  That said, if not IU, Virginia would be a lot easier to stomach than Purdue.

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Take this for what it's worth, which may not be much. 

I post on an Indiana high school basketball message board where one of the more active posters is a Silver Creek fan. I'm not going to link it because you need an account and username to view the board. I think the poster is a UK fan, not really sure, but in any case, he's anti-IU and spent all summer trying to convince everyone why Virginia was the best fit for Trey. He even went as far as criticizing Romeo Langford for coming here and how it hurt his draft stock. Anyway, last week when Trey's announcement date came up, he told everyone it was IU and was pretty salty about it. 

Could he be wrong? Sure, but just wanted to provide another perspective. 

I read that board as well.  I don't think that poster is affiliated with the SC program at all.  To me, he comes across as a know-it-all that really does not know-it-all.  I would not put any credence into what he says.

Hoosierfan34 on this board is someone I would be more inclined to listen to.  

40 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I just got a text that Peegs just went 100% crystal ball for IU. Anyone want to check?

Mike Pegram made a prediction months ago...was it Rabjohns? I haven’t seen anything on 247 site but I saw Rabjohns posted a protected article like 10 minutes ago so maybe he’s mentioning he’s putting a prediction in?

4 hours ago, MaroonRebel said:

One thing I consider is IU typically gets much higher rated recruits. Cody/Vonleh/Bryant...I’m not sure PU has had any of that level. Swanigan maybe but I never saw his game translating much honestly and don’t blame Painter for that. I’d say Painters guys get better at PU. The big thing is Painter really runs a lot of action for them. They see more touches than I’d say the avg big at another school. Perhaps with better talent we will see more nba success. Hard to turn 3 star talent into nba all stars.

That said I think Trey fits better in our offense. Playing a stretch 4 and running that high ball action pulling bigs out on to the court.

Archived