Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From his article 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/florida-man-trey-kaufman-dayton-on-a-roll-rutgers-commit

1A. PURDUE

The ever-so-slight favorite, Purdue likes where it stands with just days to go. Kaufman has been on campus multiple times in both official and unofficial capacities. He also seems to feel comfortable with Matt Painter and his staff. His official visit in September of last year made such an impression that the four-star forward returned on his own dime in February, just before the COVID-19 crisis took hold.

Kaufman to the Boilermakers is by no means a done deal, though, and not much separates the two in-state schools. But somebody has to occupy the top spot. Kaufman’s camp is tight-lipped, so information has to be garnered from other, less reliable sources. The edge is slight.

Truth be told, I wouldn’t bet much of anything on this at the moment. And that says something when you consider I’m a guy that once bet on a game of snooker despite not being totally certain what exactly snooker is.

1B. INDIANA

It’s not going to stun anyone if the Hoosiers win this battle, thus the title of “1B.” Indiana has great luck with prospects from the southern part of the state and has long seemed like the favorite to land Kaufman’s pledge. The in-state target took an official visit to Indiana last year, which certainly helps IU’s cause. Indiana was one of the first high-major programs to offer Kaufman, so the relationships in place are strong. A week ago, the Hoosiers would have been on top of this list. Indiana and Purdue seem like the real options here, as any other outcome would provide some level of shock.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Yea, Rivals Rob Cassidy pretty guessed his pick, but gives Purdue a slight favorite 

I’m not real sure where this guy came from or how connected he really is. Go look back at all his picks. He didn’t start picking basketball until September. He was previously was all about football recruiting. It seems like rivals was left scrambling when Eric Bossi went to 247 sports and Corey Evans went to work of the OKC thunder. All that said he still could pick Purdue. I sure hope he doesn’t. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Saw on twitter that the “insider” said it was Purdue, but how has switched it back to IU. I honestly think no one knows what is going on 

Yeah...everyone is guessing and I love it.  Got to credit this young man for winning that game.  His family is as tight as the Zellers were.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

From his article 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/florida-man-trey-kaufman-dayton-on-a-roll-rutgers-commit

1A. PURDUE

The ever-so-slight favorite, Purdue likes where it stands with just days to go. Kaufman has been on campus multiple times in both official and unofficial capacities. He also seems to feel comfortable with Matt Painter and his staff. His official visit in September of last year made such an impression that the four-star forward returned on his own dime in February, just before the COVID-19 crisis took hold.

Kaufman to the Boilermakers is by no means a done deal, though, and not much separates the two in-state schools. But somebody has to occupy the top spot. Kaufman’s camp is tight-lipped, so information has to be garnered from other, less reliable sources. The edge is slight.

Truth be told, I wouldn’t bet much of anything on this at the moment. And that says something when you consider I’m a guy that once bet on a game of snooker despite not being totally certain what exactly snooker is.

1B. INDIANA

It’s not going to stun anyone if the Hoosiers win this battle, thus the title of “1B.” Indiana has great luck with prospects from the southern part of the state and has long seemed like the favorite to land Kaufman’s pledge. The in-state target took an official visit to Indiana last year, which certainly helps IU’s cause. Indiana was one of the first high-major programs to offer Kaufman, so the relationships in place are strong. A week ago, the Hoosiers would have been on top of this list. Indiana and Purdue seem like the real options here, as any other outcome would provide some level of shock.

Wait, is his reasoning for Purdue being the slight leader really because Kaufman took an unofficial visit in February? That's how it reads. I believe he's taken multiple unofficial visits to IU. Was Purdue the last one so the winner in his mind?

If the insiders on this board are still hearing good things about IU even after all this back and forth and uncertainty going on then I’ll continue to feel pretty decent about it for us. His decision is the day after tomorrow, so obviously each side is gonna ramp up their confidence and use different things and scenarios that could play into a decision. I like our chances and if our guys are still as confident today as they were a few days or week ago then it puts me at ease for the most part....I think haha

I think the fact of the matter is nobody knows but Trey and his mom, and don’t think anybody else will until Friday. I feel confident CAM and ostrom did everything they could to get him to choose us. If he does great. If not yes it will suck kick in the gut any other adjective you want to use for suckage but it’s his decision and we will have to accept it. I hope he does pick us though. 

Admittedly not connected to the family or inner circle, but I’ve heard through the AAU vine it’s been Indiana for a hot minute. I’ve learned that anything is possible and tend to worry less about 18/19 year olds making decisions on where they’ll choose to play ball in college... my anxiety levels stay a little lower by keeping my distance in these situations. 

Again, we’re a football school now, so let’s just see how things unfold and get ready to move up in the AP rankings next week! 😜

1 hour ago, hoosierfan34 said:

For those of us that didn’t hear Rabby on JMV, what was said to make you think that?

JMV asked point blank where TK was going. He danced around it and JMV asked after your interview with TK what do you think. He said in a bunch of words he thinks IU wins out. More of how he reacted and like he thought it through before speaking.  I doesn't answer your question,  sorry

32 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I think the fact of the matter is nobody knows but Trey and his mom, and don’t think anybody else will until Friday. I feel confident CAM and ostrom did everything they could to get him to choose us. If he does great. If not yes it will suck kick in the gut any other adjective you want to use for suckage but it’s his decision and we will have to accept it. I hope he does pick us though. 

Very similar to the Cody Zeller recruitment and back and forth leading up to his decision between IU, UNC and Butler. Cody's family did a terrific job of keeping the decision to themselves. There were, though, a couple of actual "insiders," as in people who were very, very close to the situation including the family, who gave a few of us their input in the days leading up to Cody's decision. We were pretty confident then we knew Cody was picking IU. It goes without saying that with most recruits we're talking high schoolers and their families and most 'experts' are guessing. Sometimes though it's a bit more than guesswork.

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

JMV asked point blank where TK was going. He danced around it and JMV asked after your interview with TK what do you think. He said in a bunch of words he thinks IU wins out. More of how he reacted and like he thought it through before speaking.  I doesn't answer your question,  sorry

No, that helps. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

From his article 

1A. PURDUE

1B. INDIANA

I think he did a good job pointing out Purdue's selling points but left out some pretty critical IU points, which i think will ultimately be the deciding factor: TK's comfort with the coaching staff, and more importantly, the players. High up on TK's priorities list was a good relationship with the players. He's good buddies with Galloway and Leal. And he got the opportunity to play alongside and really gel with Logan Duncomb when they dominated Furst. 

With 'insiders' on both sides being somewhat confident, I gotta think some false info was floated out there to keep the media from spoiling the surprise. Let's hope we're not the ones getting the bad info. 

I wonder how much interest Kaufman and his family have in profiting from his NLI while in school. I think if they want to maximize that money then IU would have the advantage. Larger fan base and the athletic department is a leader on setting up help/education in this regard for the athletes.

His freshman year is supposed to be the 1st season that they're allowed to profit though the actual rules have not yet been set.

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

Admittedly not connected to the family or inner circle, but I’ve heard through the AAU vine it’s been Indiana for a hot minute. I’ve learned that anything is possible and tend to worry less about 18/19 year olds making decisions on where they’ll choose to play ball in college... my anxiety levels stay a little lower by keeping my distance in these situations. 

Again, we’re a football school now, so let’s just see how things unfold and get ready to move up in the AP rankings next week! 😜

I will support your football school mantra if we come out and play a really good game against Rutgers and win that game. Too many times I see a school get a really big win to follow it up losing to a lesser team and not really ever get over the hump. If Allen has a hold on things he will have them focused and ready to go..because Schiano will.

Archived