Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I have not seen any.  Nor do I think anyone in town would do that to him.  Our Taco Bell did its job with Romeo.

I think Hoopsters had a Romeo sign as well...not only is Hoopsters a IU bar but also a Jeff High basketball bar...pretty cool that they did that for a New Albany guy

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

After every recruit everyone says i'm not going to get caught up in anymore 17 year olds choosing a school. Yet here we are again. 129 pages with 3 days to go, with people who have no clue saying 100% one way or the other. LOL

It’s like the draft...free agency...or fantasy sports draft....it’s like dating..it’s the chase...the thrill of seeing who we get....eternal optimism of what can be before the season begins and reality sets in. Lots of peoples favorite part of the season is the offseason... I see It here too.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

No way to verify. Some have posted today there's a sign across from a middle school that is flashing something. Again....no way to know if true. 

Hope Trey picks IU. We need to keep up this 4.0 GPA and top talent brigade.

It’s the pizza place across from SCMS. It’s called Sherrilli’s Pizza now. Their electronic sign says “We love you Trey Kaufman” and then once it scrolls up it says “Choose IU”. 

27 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

It’s the pizza place across from SCMS. It’s called Sherrilli’s Pizza now. Their electronic sign says “We love you Trey Kaufman” and then once it scrolls up it says “Choose IU”. 

I'm okay with businesses in other towns doing that, like Hoopsters.  But, local businesses should not put that type of pressure on him.  I, for one, will support and follow him wherever he goes (I can say that since UK is not on his list).

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm okay with businesses in other towns doing that, like Hoopsters.  But, local businesses should not put that type of pressure on him.  I, for one, will support and follow him wherever he goes (I can say that since UK is not on his list).

Yeah I’m with you. I can’t relate because I wasn’t good enough for a local company to pressure me into going to a school. Lol. But yeah, has to be kind of cringy for he and his mom to drive around and see that. Especially if he picked Purdue. I freaking hate Purdue so much that it will definitely sting for me if he picked them. Had I not coached him before, and he was just some random prospect, I wouldn’t care at all. 

37 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Thanks! I knew I saw something online earlier today from way up here in Indy. Appreciate the confirmation. 

36 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Interesting, I would be uncomfortable with that 

Why? As uncomfortable as a 150 page thread on a message board talking about him? Just me but there's just as much awkward on here talking about the kid daily (myself included) as there is a business throwing up sign. Guess I don't see the difference. One does it in plain view....and the rest do it behind a keyboard. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Why? As uncomfortable as a 150 page thread on a message board talking about him? Just me but there's just as much awkward on here talking about the kid daily (myself included) as there is a business throwing up sign. Guess I don't see the difference. One does it in plain view....and the rest do it behind a keyboard. 

Fair point

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

The establishment in question is not only in Sellersburg, but it is literally across the street from the school complex.  His hometown should support Trey regardless of his decision.  As hoosierfan34 said, imagine leaving school every afternoon and driving by that if the choice is not IU.  That's tough.

Just now, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Fair point

Thanks for seeing the other side. At least the pizza joint says who I am, where I work, what I do,etc...and loves the kid. As we all know a tad different on message boards. 

Some get a tad moral police on things when it comes to recruiting. I don't. We love the kids and want them to be Hoosiers.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The establishment in question is not only in Sellersburg, but it is literally across the street from the school complex.  His hometown should support Trey regardless of his decision.  As hoosierfan34 said, imagine leaving school every afternoon and driving by that if the choice is not IU.  That's tough.

Since he is not from my home town I guess I don't see this as a problem.  Also if he picks Purdue I won't have any bad feelings towards him but I won't be following him either.

Just see things differently. Kid wants to walk onto any stage in life playing hoops at a Big 10 school.... a pizza joint is going to be the least of his concerns. Local support as you say or not. Shoot....McRoberts (Duke) and Hammons (Purdue) lived within a mile of my hood. You think I supported those kids when they left? Haha...

Just now, IU Scott said:

Since he is not from my home town I guess I don't see this as a problem.  Also if he picks Purdue I won't have any I'll feelings towards him but I won't be following him either.

Okay.  Look at it this way.  Assume it's your son, grandson, or nephew and your neighbor across the street puts up a sign 'encouraging' him to make a life defining choice.  And, your son, grandson, or nephew knows that if he does not make the choice on the sign, he's going to disappoint and maybe even upset 50% or more of the people in the neighborhood.  It's not fair to the young man.

Okay.  Look at it this way.  Assume it's your son, grandson, or nephew and your neighbor across the street puts up a sign 'encouraging' him to make a life defining choice.  And, your son, grandson, or nephew knows that if he does not make the choice on the sign, he's going to disappoint and maybe even upset 50% or more of the people in the neighborhood.  It's not fair to the young man.

To that I would say welcome to life. No hard feelings to you just see things differently. Kid has a special gift and talent. Most likely he'll end up playing in the league wherever he goes....but I'm not going to apologize for IU fans being supportive (in whatever way) they seem fit. Won't apologize for that one bit. 

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If my son wanted to go to Purdue I would have a lot of trouble letting him go and would try to talk him out if it.  This is just part of the rivalry and Indiana kids probably have gone through this for years.  

Put it this way when I was in school and one of my teammates was going to play at Purdue I would have no problem telling him he was making a mistake.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I look at it as a community embracing a maybe once in a life time player and they also just so happen to hope he goes to IU...it’s a process for the community as well as the player...if people didn’t take interest there would be pizza deals on the sign.

Archived