Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I look at it as a community embracing a maybe once in a life time player and they also just so happen to hope he goes to IU...it’s a process for the community as well as the player...if people didn’t take interest there would be pizza deals on the sign.

It is not like they will go to his house and destroy it if he chooses Purdue like community did in the movie All the Right Moves.  All this means is that they are IU fans and wants to see one of their own playing for IU.  It is not like the sign is saying anything bad about Purdue but wanting him to choose their school.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Okay.  Look at it this way.  Assume it's your son, grandson, or nephew and your neighbor across the street puts up a sign 'encouraging' him to make a life defining choice.  And, your son, grandson, or nephew knows that if he does not make the choice on the sign, he's going to disappoint and maybe even upset 50% or more of the people in the neighborhood.  It's not fair to the young man.

I look at it this way.  If a player doesn't want the spotlight and attention of a decision than don't set a date your announcing.  Just tell the coach and be done with it.   If a sign makes a player uncomfortable than that's on him.

Go Hoosiers!!!

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just see things differently. Kid wants to walk onto any stage in life playing hoops at a Big 10 school.... a pizza joint is going to be the least of his concerns. Local support as you say or not. Shoot....McRoberts (Duke) and Hammons (Purdue) lived within a mile of my hood. You think I supported those kids when they left? Haha...

That’s really close to where I grew up lol

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If my son wanted to go to Purdue I would have a lot of trouble letting him go and would try to talk him out if it.  This is just part of the rivalry and Indiana kids probably have gone through this for years.  

Put it this way when I was in school and one of my teammates was going to play at Purdue I would have no problem telling him he was making a mistake.

I disagree with your first paragraph and I experienced it in high school with friends of mine who went to IU. I vividly remember being at my friend’s house (both parents are IU alums) in high school and they asked me where I was going to school.  When I told them Purdue, they couldn’t believe it. They were like, we told our son we’d pay his tuition at IU but if he went to Purdue, he’d be on his own. I almost started laughing. My parents are both IU alums and they wanted me to go where I wanted to go not where they wanted me to go. 

The rivalry is great but if my kids want to go to IU, I’ll support them in their decision. Will I become an IU fan? Highly doubtful but I wouldn’t actively try to persuade them to go to Purdue if it’s not the right fit. To each their own though. 

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I disagree with your first paragraph and I experienced it in high school with friends of mine who went to IU. I vividly remember being at my friend’s house (both parents are IU alums) in high school and they asked me where I was going to school.  When I told them Purdue, they couldn’t believe it. They were like, we told our son we’d pay his tuition at IU but if he went to Purdue, he’d be on his own. I almost started laughing. My parents are both IU alums and they wanted me to go where I wanted to go not where they wanted me to go. 

The rivalry is great but if my kids want to go to IU, I’ll support them in their decision. Will I become an IU fan? Highly doubtful but I wouldn’t actively try to persuade them to go to Purdue if it’s not the right fit. To each their own though. 

I was talking about if he was good enough to play basketball and not just ad a student.  If my kids just wanted to attend school there I would not have a problem with that.  If they are students there that does not mean I have to be a Purdue basketball fan.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If my son wanted to go to Purdue I would have a lot of trouble letting him go and would try to talk him out if it.  This is just part of the rivalry and Indiana kids probably have gone through this for years.  

Put it this way when I was in school and one of my teammates was going to play at Purdue I would have no problem telling him he was making a mistake.

I wonder how many people from the Sellersburg/New Albany and Jeffersonville area actually hates Purdue?...I know people from up north feels different about them but I hate UK way more than Purdue....I only know a handful of purdue fans and only one person I graduated with went to school there

11 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Either this Rob Cassidy clown is the next Eric Bossi or Brian Snow or he's trying to bet his career earnings but his input gets around even on Sports illustrated.  

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/recruiting/crystal-ball-predictions-for-indiana-basketball-target-trey-kaufman

The fact that he ranks UNC ahead of Virginia is an indicator to me that he's not really plugged into this.  

4 hours ago, JcityHoosier said:

I wonder how many people from the Sellersburg/New Albany and Jeffersonville area actually hates Purdue?...I know people from up north feels different about them but I hate UK way more than Purdue....I only know a handful of purdue fans and only one person I graduated with went to school there

Definitely different. My college friends from Corydon hate UK far more than Purdue. Trey Lyles remains their most hated recruit in last couple decades but the point still remains close. Don't choose IU and go to a rival? Yep...some blowback will happen.

4 hours ago, JcityHoosier said:

I would say more than you think simply because that area has a lot of IU fans. You certainly have some UL and UK fans too, but a lot of IU fans....who are born and trained to hurt Purdue. Lol

16 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

I would say more than you think simply because that area has a lot of IU fans. You certainly have some UL and UK fans too, but a lot of IU fans....who are born and trained to hurt Purdue. Lol

See I wasn't. The 2nd Saturday in December was a much bigger deal than any conference game. 

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Definitely different. My college friends from Corydon hate UK far more than Purdue. Trey Lyles remains their most hated recruit in last couple decades but the point still remains close. Don't choose IU and go to a rival? Yep...some blowback will happen.

I grew up in Charlestown(70's/80's).   Back then there were almost as many UK fans as IU fans there(lots of Kentucky transplants).  So that was always the big rivalry.  PU was just another game.  I can maybe think of one farm kid that occasionally wore a PU shirt and he could have cared less about basketball.  lol.  It wasn't until I came to Btown that I really felt and saw the PU rivalry.  Location really is key to a rivalry.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I grew up in Charlestown(70's/80's).   Back then there were almost as many UK fans as IU fans there(lots of Kentucky transplants).  So that was always the big rivalry.  PU was just another game.  I can maybe think of one farm kid that occasionally wore a PU shirt and he could have cared less about basketball.  lol.  It wasn't until I came to Btown that I really felt and saw the PU rivalry.  Location really is key to a rivalry.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Charlestown, huh?  Then you’d probably know my dad’s whole side of that family. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I can see Scott limping up to the kitchen table wearing his IU gear and giving a "I don't have many years left" speech...😁

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I kinda went through something like this. I went to high school with Jerry Sichting. I remember Bob Knight visiting the old Glenn Curtis Memorial gym to watch him play. All the people in Martinsville I knew wanted him to go to IU. IU didn't offer though (I've heard Knight has said it was one of his biggest recruiting mistakes) and he went to Purdue.

I think everyone in Martinsville still rooted for him to do well. I did, except against IU. I remember the NIT final in 79 when IU was up by one and Purdue had the last shot. I was torn. I knew Jerry was going to get the ball. He did, and barely missed a corner jumper...

8 hours ago, gnet550 said:

One note on Nick Baumgart...he has his top unsigned players from the state and he ranks Blake Wesley ahead of Kaufman...that alone should make you lose credibility...lol

Plus, as soon as Duncomb committed, he tweeted something out about how that took IU out of the Kaufman sweepstakes - which made no sense to anyone. So he’s been singing that tune since Logan committed. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I can see Scott limping up to the kitchen table wearing his IU gear and giving a "I don't have many years left" speech...😁

I kinda went through something like this. I went to high school with Jerry Sichting. I remember Bob Knight visiting the old Glenn Curtis Memorial gym to watch him play. All the people in Martinsville I knew wanted him to go to IU. IU didn't offer though (I've heard Knight has said it was one of his biggest recruiting mistakes) and he went to Purdue.

I think everyone in Martinsville still rooted for him to do well. I did, except against IU. I remember the NIT final in 79 when IU was up by one and Purdue had the last shot. I was torn. I knew Jerry was going to get the ball. He did, and barely missed a corner jumper...

That sounds eerily similar to Trey’s uncle Matt Renn. I played with him in HS. Word got out during the day that Knight was coming to that night’s home game. Dakich actually talked to my dad at the school early that morning. Matt proceeds to have his worst ever HS game and I think Knight took Recker instead. And we cheered for Matt in college even when he played IU. And his ISU teams beat IU twice, went to the NCAA tourney 2 or 3 years, and Matt became a HOFer, so he did ok. But your story sounds very similar. We all wanted Matt to be a Hoosier, but Knight never offered. And we think Matt wanted to go there too. 

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

See I wasn't. The 2nd Saturday in December was a much bigger deal than any conference game. 

Same, moving to Lexington in 91 from Bremen, the IU UK was always the biggest game of the year for me, excluding the obvious tourney or clinching type games.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I remember those days too....I was only in middle school then,(West Middle School to be exact), but still remember Jerry's impact in Martinsville at the time. On a side note, I briefly dated one of his cousins while I was in high school.

The Nick guy already looking towards next year, tweeting out how he could see things play out with the roster as if Trey won’t be a part of it...so some people may think he’s all in on Trey to Purdue, but personally, I could see it just as he doesn’t really know where Trey is going and the tweet is just a big “IF” Trey doesn’t come to IU. Im hopeful there’s just a ton of smoke going on right now so that the surprise element is more present if/when he pops for IU. 

DA51262C-F49C-433A-B5E3-6A71350596F8.jpeg

Archived