Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

Do we know how connected this guy really is? Also to me it seems a little early to inform the other coaches. If he really wants everything kept so close to the chest why not wait until tomorrow before the announcement? 

I took it as he is just put that out to throw smack toward Purdue.  I doubt if this guy has any inside info.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. That must be rough if he believes a single game cost him a chance to play at IU (which is possible).

I do take issue with the way you make it sound like it was him or Recker and this one game was responsible. While it may have been responsible for him not receiving an offer from IU, I can't imagine it had anything to do with Recker. From what I remember, Recker was a big time recruit and I don't think Knight takes anyone in the state at that time instead of him, only in addition to him.

Yeah, maybe that was worded poorly. I’m not speaking for Knight or anything. I don’t know full details on the roster spot that Recker got versus Matt, just laying out how the story was mentioned back in the day. Regardless, Matt had like 4 points and fouled out (was double/triple teamed all game). Knight didn’t push after that game. I do know Dakich wanted Matt at Bowling Green, if he were to get that job. He did, but Matt obviously chose Indiana State. I only know that because Dakich flat out told my dad that. 

8 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Do we know how connected this guy really is? Also to me it seems a little early to inform the other coaches. If he really wants everything kept so close to the chest why not wait until tomorrow before the announcement? 

If anything, I would think this would be bad news for IU if true. It could mean that Kaufman doesn't want to reject Miller on his birthday.

54 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why are people putting so much stock in one AAU game? Yes Furst didn’t play well but that doesn’t take away what he had done over the past few years. I think Furst is more physically-developed than Kaufman and has a higher floor. I think Kaufman is still growing into his body and it could take time for him to teach that potential whereas Furst is already pretty close to his potential IMO. 

You're speaking in the past...was likely true at one point, but I don't even think it was true last season, what we saw of it.  The people who pass out the Gatorade award disagree with you as well.

I'd give you that Furst matured before Kaufman, but even setting that game aside, I think a lot of people feel like he's already passed Furst.

Guys,

Trey and his family have been tight lipped and smart. To think they are suddenly going to change that 24 hours before the announcement is grasping for straws.

They are doing this their way. Kudos for that.

Its fun to guess, overreact to a random tweet etc. But until Trey says who it is, we are not gonna know.

They have been beyond consistent. 

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're speaking in the past...was likely true at one point, but I don't even think it was true last season, what we saw of it.  The people who pass out the Gatorade award disagree with you as well.

I'd give you that Furst matured before Kaufman, but even setting that game aside, I think a lot of people feel like he's already passed Furst.

Certainly fair points. 

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

This makes zero sense. Call all the runners up a day early, then "surprise" the winner tomorrow?

People throwing stuff against the wall here.

Let's allow the kid have his moment, and hope he chooses IU.

I'll say recruits often let the staff of the schools involved know shortly before their 'decision' out of respect for the staffs that have recruited them. In my experience, that's generally the day of the decision but not always. I agree it doesn't really make sense here -- and more to the point, where Rabby has said he is not informing the staffs, that's almost certainly because he confirmed that, Rabby is no amateur.

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Guys,

Trey and his family have been tight lipped and smart. To think they are suddenly going to change that 24 hours before the announcement is grasping for straws.

They are doing this their way. Kudos for that.

Its fun to guess, overreact to a random tweet etc. But until Trey says who it is, we are not gonna know.

They have been beyond consistent. 

Said it before, but very much like the final days of Cody's recruitment. Oh the memories of Roy literally flying in to try to get Cody in the last days. That itself was a signal. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Said it before, but very much like the final days of Cody's recruitment. Oh the memories of Roy literally flying in to try to get Cody in the last days. That itself was a signal. 

Yeah, that was probably the one mistake Cody made in his recruitment...letting Roy waste his time when he already was pretty confident where he was going (just IMO).  Cody was just too nice there.  He should have said like Trey that he had all the information he needed and wasn't taking any more calls/visits, etc.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

People felt similar in the Romeo recruitment too. With all the talk of Vandy and how they felt he was 100% going there in the days leading up to the announcement. Then right before the announcement started changing their tune a bit. So we'll see what happens tomorrow.  

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

People felt similar in the Romeo recruitment too. With all the talk of Vandy and how they felt he was 100% going there in the days leading up to the announcement. Then right before the announcement started changing their tune a bit. So we'll see what happens tomorrow.  

We were confident he was picking IU. The Vandy speculation heated up towards the end because of the other kid who chose Vandy. The comparison here is actually similar in that regard -- most believe he has decided on IU, but there are PU rumors being injected late. 

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, that was probably the one mistake Cody made in his recruitment...letting Roy waste his time when he already was pretty confident where he was going (just IMO).  Cody was just too nice there.  He should have said like Trey that he had all the information he needed and wasn't taking any more calls/visits, etc.

Cody's family was actually being respectful to the schools involved/UNC, letting them have their last pitch. They handled Cody's recruitment with consideration and respect. Roy made that as a last pitch.

Archived