Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Enh...the best player in that class reclassed and chose IU.

People get too wrapped up in this stuff.  We all thought the tide had turned when Romeo committed and we all thought the Oladipo/Sheehey class was mediocre.  It is somewhat fun to speculate on where kids go and I would definitely argue that you need higher ranked players more often than not to make noise, but it's one guy.

Also, on Painter, he is Tom Crean without the spotlight.  He is up and down like a roller coaster and he has done some weird kind of things...the main difference is that he is at Purdue and the majority of people just don't care what they are doing.  "But, but Indiana has not faired well the past 10 to 15 years..."  I agree, and the coach of Indiana takes grief about that from all over while Painter, with similar results, is a "good coach".  Ok, whatever...he would have been run out of Bloomington on a rail with his results.  Miller has been "enh" so far IMO, but I am not going to freak or get all concerned about Painter.  "Enh" Archie Miller has still landed more Indiana talent with his "enh" record than Painter has since Miller got here.  The recruits are not a big concern right now, that will take care of itself.  What we see Miller do with the actual players is what matters.

He’s much better coach than Crean

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

People get too wrapped up in this stuff.  We all thought the tide had turned when Romeo committed and we all thought the Oladipo/Sheehey class was mediocre.  It is somewhat fun to speculate on where kids go and I would definitely argue that you need higher ranked players more often than not to make noise, but it's one guy.

Also, on Painter, he is Tom Crean without the spotlight.  He is up and down like a roller coaster and he has done some weird kind of things...the main difference is that he is at Purdue and the majority of people just don't care what they are doing.  "But, but Indiana has not faired well the past 10 to 15 years..."  I agree, and the coach of Indiana takes grief about that from all over while Painter, with similar results, is a "good coach".  Ok, whatever...he would have been run out of Bloomington on a rail with his results.  Miller has been "enh" so far IMO, but I am not going to freak or get all concerned about Painter.  "Enh" Archie Miller has still landed more Indiana talent with his "enh" record than Painter has since Miller got here.  The recruits are not a big concern right now, that will take care of itself.  What we see Miller do with the actual players is what matters.

Defintly true because utside of Purdue fans nobody nationally put to much stoock in Purdue as a program  You don't see national media having stories about them if they go a few years of not making the tournament.  We have seen many stories about what has happenned to IU basketball so that shows we are still relevant.  Most national media has said that college basketball is better when teams like IU or UCLA are good but never see that about prdue.

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think it’s time for Archie to give the “I’m sick and bleeping tired of losing to Purdue.....you’ll think last night was a gosh darn picnic” something like that lol

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Comparing Painter to Crean might be one of the strangest things I’ve seen in this thread. Don’t think it’s accurate to say Painter has been up and down like a roller coaster. Aside from a few seasons, he’s been pretty consistent. 

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What’s our tournament resume look like in that time period?? Not much better...Painter is a good coach. He has a couple transition years here and clearly with what he has coming up...will be back competing for the B1G title.

Yep. He's as strong as Bruce Weber. Superior coach.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Yep. He's as strong as Bruce Weber. Superior coach.

I didn’t say he was superior. I said he was a good coach. Honestly he has done a solid job considering the level of recruits that Purdue will allow him to get. He wins with less talent. He isn’t great but he is good. He understands his limitations there and yes Purdue runs in cycles. They don’t bring in a lot of NBA talent that leaves early....so they have classes that stay 4 years and with upper class man it pushes away young recruits because they don’t see playing time. So they build and get good then they drop off and it starts over. Purdue’s program won’t allow him to get OAD or 5* recruits. The fact we generally win recruiting battles is because of our prestige. Now we aren’t winning on the court or off it. Archie can turn that all around by winning...hope he does.

27 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

So, did anyone who isn't a Purdue fan hear this? I find it odd that the 3 people who reported this are from West Lafayette, Plymouth, and Wisconsin and that any of them just happened to be listening to a radio station based out of Jeffersonville High School when this occurred. 

Quoting this because I don't want it to get lost in a silly Crean vs. Painter debate. 

Just now, Bustout said:

Ha.  Me neither. But given the choice, I’d take Painter.   I appreciate what CTC did for IU and bringing the program back, but Painter seems like a much better coach IMO. 

remember he has lost early in the tournament as well to trams like Arkansas Little Rock

Since Crean is not here any longer and don't care about him I am not going to keep on with this discussion.  All I care ao but right now is this year and the years moving forward.    I like the young players and think guys like Gallowy, Leal and Duncomb will end up being very good 4 year college players.  Also with the new rule this year letting players have another year could help in the future.  Also if kid scan transfer without sitting out I think Iu will have plenty of players to choose from the next couple of years.  I could see RP using his 5th year and he would be a very good PG in his fifth year.

Archived