Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't even know how to respond on this one.

I'll help you. It's pretty simple.

Last five years, Purdue has been in the tourney 5 times and has 3 sweet 16s and an Elite 8.

Indiana hasn't been to the tourney in 5 years. 

What happened 15 years ago isn't nearly as important as the last 5 years.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sea Turtle said:

Last five years, Purdue has been in the tourney 5 times and has 3 sweet 16s and an Elite 8.

Well if you count last year IU was in the tournament and Purdue wasn't

1 minute ago, Sea Turtle said:

I would be pretty confident in betting that recent win/loss history had ZERO to do with this decision whichever way he goes. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Unfortunately, last year doesn't count. For Indiana or Purdue. 

In the record books maybe but I guarantee that if the coaches were up for a contract those coaches would go in and say they made the tournament.  In this discussion last year should matter because we all know that Iu was in.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Since Crean is not here any longer and don't care about him I am not going to keep on with this discussion.  All I care ao but right now is this year and the years moving forward.    I like the young players and think guys like Gallowy, Leal and Duncomb will end up being very good 4 year college players.  Also with the new rule this year letting players have another year could help in the future.  Also if kid scan transfer without sitting out I think Iu will have plenty of players to choose from the next couple of years.  I could see RP using his 5th year and he would be a very good PG in his fifth year.

I like our roster as well. Archie Miller just needs to win. And then stack winning seasons together. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if you count last year IU was in the tournament and Purdue wasn't

But he’s not counting last year because, you know, it doesn’t fit his narrative. 😂 Or the years before IU went into the transition to CAM.

Painter is a decent coach. He’s not an exceptionally good coach. He’s not a coach with a track record of developing players to the NBA (and for what it’s worth in this ridiculous Crean-Painter comparison makes-us-laugh discussion, no question that Crean is a proven development coach, hands down better than Painter, something recruits actually care about, but God help me I just got drawn into this silly discussion lol 

2 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I like our roster as well. Archie Miller just needs to win. And then stack winning seasons together. 

Without saying he needs to win just like every other coach in the country.  The difference is that I am willing to let it play out before making judgements on his career at IU.  If we are having this discussion in two years then it might be time to look elsewhere.  Like I have said before plenty of top coaches has started off their tenure at their first big job slowly and then turned it around.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Without saying he needs to win just like every other coach in the country.  The difference is that I am willing to let it play out before making judgements on his career at IU.  If we are having this discussion in two years then it might be time to look elsewhere.  Like I have said before plenty of top coaches has started off their tenure at their first big job slowly and then turned it around.

Agree. Archie is fine and IU is in great hands. He’s building it the right way  

I am watching Assembly Call right now and someone asked them about Kaufman and Muhammad. This was taped a little before all of this came out about Trey but they still did not think IU will get him.  The thing I had not heard is that they think it is a very long shot to get Muhammad as well.

1 hour ago, hoosierfan34 said:

And I certainly hope people didn’t think I was trying to be misleading with my pro-IU chatter. I was just passing along everything I was getting from sources. And again, I coached the damn kid, so obviously I wanted him to pick IU. 

You’re one of the best posters on here.  No worries at all.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But he’s not counting last year because, you know, it doesn’t fit his narrative. 😂 Or the years before IU went into the transition to CAM.

Painter is a decent coach. He’s not an exceptionally good coach. He’s not a coach with a track record of developing players to the NBA (and for what it’s worth in this ridiculous Crean-Painter comparison makes-us-laugh discussion, no question that Crean is a proven development coach, hands down better than Painter, something recruits actually care about, but God help me I just got drawn into this silly discussion lol 

I'm not counting it because nobody made the tourney. All you can do is go back to the last 5 tourneys played. Indiana was not selected to play in the tourney last year. The program can't even point to that. Do they get selected? Probably but not definitely.

You go back five years. Anything more is history. Anything less isn't long enough. It's a full fifth year seniors journey through the program. You want to go all the back to KS? Where do you draw the line? 

The fact is that Purdue has had program momentum under MP for the last 5 years and has been the better program. This isn't even debatable. Archie has done better each year that he has been here. If he keeps that up, he will be fine.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Really hate social media and how it just a place for a lot of mis information.  We get this coming out that it was leaked that Trey committed to Purdue.  Then we hear it is fake news and it didn't happen and now someone said Rabjohns says it is not looking good.  This is the new version as the World Turns and recruiting is getting way out of hand.

For a month or so I did not have a good feeling that we would get Trey because of the comment of can't make everyone happy with your decisions.  Then when he said he thought that the offense Purdue runs is the best fit for him.  I also believed if he was a big IU lean he would have committed earlier and it seemed he wa slooking at others.  I hope I am wrong but I still see him going to Purdue and if he does then it is time to move on and get another good player.

Sometimes people shoot the messenger.  You took some heat but it looks like you were reading this pretty well albeit without actually knowing.  

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sometimes people shoot the messenger.  You took some heat but it looks like you were reading this pretty well albeit without actually knowing.  

Just thought some of his comments di dlook well toward IU.  To me the comment about can't make everyone happy was towards the IU fan base.  To me he knew that the one fan base that would be upset if he didn't come there would be IU fans.  The others maybe wouldn't like it but they know how our fan base reacts to these things with a lot more passion.  Also did not like the comment that he thought he fit the best offensively with Purdue so that set off some alarms.  Also Trey seems to be more of a quit type of guy and who really appears to not be in the limelight.  Playing at IU you are in a fish bowl and your ever action will be scrutinized unlike the other schools.

You know what bothers me more than anything about this is that I let recruiting get to me to much.  I want to be those fans who don't pay attention to recruiting and the rankings that much and don't let it consume your time and thoughts.  Like I said earlier I was watching Assembly Call and one of the host admitted he doesn't follow recruiting real closely and don't really know any insdie stuff.  This is what i am going to try to do in the future but will probably fail because the last few recruiting battles(Brooks and Kaufman) has been exhausting.  We get excited when we here some on here saying good things about IU chances but we should all know these are 18 year old kids and have no clue what they are thinking.

No worries. If Trey chooses Purdue. He's Trey Lyles, Gary Harris....or better examples for Purdue folks. He's Caleb or AJ. No harm no foul but if he does choose Purdue....please spare me the he's a local kid we should cheer for him no matter what speak. 

As I said last week. He chooses us he'll be remembered forever. If he doesn't so be it. He's gone at 6:02 EST on 10/30/20 and won't be remembered again. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

No worries. If Trey chooses Purdue. He's Trey Lyles, Gary Harris....or better examples for Purdue folks. He's Caleb or AJ. No harm no foul but if he does choose Purdue....please spare me the he's a local kid we should cheer for him no matter what speak. 

As I said last week. He chooses us he'll be remembered forever. If he doesn't so be it. He's gone at 6:02 EST on 10/30/20 and won't be remembered again. 

With how this recruitment has gone we might wake up in the morning and everything has changed.  If it doesn't the sun will rise and life will go on and IU will get other recruits.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I just worry about missing out on him and Mohammed, like what was mentioned on Assembly Call. That would hurt. Miller becomes a must and then I don't even know how to fill out the class.

5 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I just worry about missing out on him and Mohammed, like what was mentioned on Assembly Call. That would hurt. Miller becomes a must and then I don't even know how to fill out the class.

Well our seniors can come back for another year.  We can bring in transfers who don't have to sit out.  We can bring in a grad transfer or go after some of the top recruits who don't sign in the fall.

Archived