Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

If Painter is selling Kaufman on playing the 3, say we sell Kaufman on the 3 at IU.  Right now(maybe I am wrong) Kaufman is not playing top minutes right away over Hunter at the 3 or Race at the 4.  Maybe I am wrong here.  Does he get minutes why sure you bet but getting 20 plus mins I do not see.  Still hoping for IU, however, if we miss hopefully Archie has a backup plan.  To help win these tight battles winning does help.  Win games this year, make the tourney and don't be a 1st rd exit.

We will be light on the front court next year if we only enter 2021-2022 with Hunter at 6'7" (can play the 4 as a small stretch guy), Race(4 or 5) and Duncomb(5).  Mason Miller is 6'9" so he could play some at the 3 or 4(stretch).  If we miss out on TK and Mason we will be very light unless we nab a transfer that would be eligible right away.  

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trey isn't a 3. He's a 4. You arent remembered at Purdue, I'm sorry you just aren't. 

This was a weird recruitment. SC has maybe the best 3A team we've seen... like ever... and now outside of SC fans, no is really going to care. 

Painter is a darn good coach. Again weird recruitment and truthfully glad this is over. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No worries. If Trey chooses Purdue. He's Trey Lyles, Gary Harris....or better examples for Purdue folks. He's Caleb or AJ. No harm no foul but if he does choose Purdue....please spare me the he's a local kid we should cheer for him no matter what speak. 

As I said last week. He chooses us he'll be remembered forever. If he doesn't so be it. He's gone at 6:02 EST on 10/30/20 and won't be remembered again. 

If you don’t remember we lost him every time you watch Purdue play over the next 4 years I think you will be lying to yourself. I think he is going to be a very good player for them. Much more so then Furst. I know for certain he will be remembered at least 2-3 times a year we face them. Also likely when watching them playing in the tournament...especially if Archie fails to deliver us to the NCAA in those years. Guess he and Archie are even now...we got Rob they got Trey.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

If you don’t remember we lost him every time you watch Purdue play over the next 4 years I think you will be lying to yourself. I think he is going to be a very good player for them. Much more so then Furst. I know for certain he will be remembered at least 2-3 times a year we face them. Also likely when watching them playing in the tournament...especially if Archie fails to deliver us to the NCAA in those years. Guess he and Archie are even now...we got Rob they got Trey.

I didnt remember GH that way. Wont with Trey either. 

8 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Let me guess "He'll always be part of the IU family"......Spare me....Another bullet dodged.....

This stings for @hoosierfan34, @5fouls , and myself we are Sellerburg people, know the family well, and know that Trey would be a phenomenal asset.  I won't watch him more than 3-4 times a season but will watch his stat lines and wish him well.  Really hope he continues to traject the way he has the last 2 years because if so he may wind up one and done.  Not likely with his focus on education.

Just now, btownqb said:

I didnt remember GH that way. Wont with Trey either. 

I do. I always think what if when I see local kid playing on the other team having a special career. If we had just landed this kid just think how good we could have been. Some obviously more than others who I would say got away that shouldn’t have. Like I said Furst I kinda expected. Trey is a shock to the system for me to watch a southern Indiana kid go to Purdue...especially given how hard we pushed for the kid and that we had a meaningful position for him.

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This stings for @hoosierfan34, @5fouls , and myself we are Sellerburg people, know the family well, and know that Trey would be a phenomenal asset.  I won't watch him more than 3-4 times a season but will watch his stat lines and wish him well.  Really hope he continues to traject the way he has the last 2 years because if so he may wind up one and done.  Not likely with his focus on education.

I feel for you guys! Sucks, would have been awesome to root for him. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I feel for you guys! Sucks, would have been awesome to root for him. 

Tell me about.  Many of us around his uncle Matt were crushed at the poor game that he played in front of Bob Knight, knowing it was his dream and that was likely the one chance and it was over.  Can't imagine if Matt wound up at IU and was know like a Matt Nover that Trey wouldn't have committed to IU in 3rd grade.  

4 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Understandable. Anyone personally associated with the kid SHOULD feel this way. The rest of us can keep on "hatin'" and still be able to sleep at night. The guy has ZERO ties to Indiana basketball otherwise so why would the rest of us support him? Hell, Sean May got death threats and his dad was arguably one of the most love Hoosiers ever....No shame is seeing this as a stupid move. 

Why is it a stupid move? I wish he came to IU selfishly because I want the best team we could have but honestly why is it stupid to go play at Purdue over IU. He had a better relationship with Painter and he saw his vision for how he will be used over there. Archie is yet to really put together a vision for Indiana basketball. Maybe this year he will. The product on the floor has been pretty spotty. I see improvement at times but what is important is B1G success not simply winning a couple more non-conference games a year. I can understand the decision...just don’t like it.

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Comparing Painter to Crean might be one of the strangest things I’ve seen in this thread. Don’t think it’s accurate to say Painter has been up and down like a roller coaster. Aside from a few seasons, he’s been pretty consistent. 

Consistently average.

I don't really mean that as a knock on your team, if you are happy with Painter, great.  I am saying that I hear how "good" a coach Painter is from some of the same people who were pretty critical of Crean, and for my money, not much daylight exists between them.

Painter to me is meh.  He is a guy who can thrive at schools where people are content as long as you don't totally suck at what you do.  And IU fans need to start realizing that for some of these kids, your insanity is being used to raise their profile.  All of these special interviews or news conferences to pick a hat are silly and in this state, it seems like they are rarely done for kids where Indiana is not involved.  The fanbase needs to stop living and dying with every "next big recruit" that comes along.  I am not saying that Kauffman led Indiana fans on or anything, I am saying that if it was down to Purdue and Virginia, nobody around here would give enough of a frick for a "special" announcement.  And the kids know it...and it is because of crazy grown men like us that wait with baited breath on the announcement of a kid to play a game that the complete bonkers this has been goes on.

No matter where he goes, IU fans need to tone this stuff down a bit IMO.

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

Us older guys will get this....It kind a reminds me of that feeling in high school when your girlfriend's best friend hands you a folded up letter and says, "She wanted me to give this to you and walks away....." 

Thunder Dungeon - Breakup letters from kids are ruthlessly savage

Enough said......

At least she gave you a piece of bacon on the side

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

belushi.PNG.45cb02ed3415f4725b28e9af9f8772ab.PNG

I'll wait until this afternoon...When I hear a guy named Trey Kaufman say it, I'll believe it...

Nah, this has Purdue written all over it.  For Indiana you can sign your NLI over a week in advance and still get your moment.  At Purdue, it gets leaked because of some kind of radio interview or something...they don't have experience with this kind of thing and it shows.

To go back to my other point though, this kid and his family played things so close to the vest that Purdue was barely on the radar for all our connected people and those who do this for a living on the national scene.  Which leads me to 2 things, either a)there is no such thing as connected people because so many people were so far off on this that it is not funny or b)there was a real concerted effort to make this thing appear like a closer decision than it was.  I don't think that many people got things that wrong without being led down that path intentionally.  Sorry, I know some of you are somewhat connected to this kid, but "fame" at that age can lead to some pretty odd things.  And on the off chance that all this Purdue stuff ends up being smoke and mirrors at the last minute for suspense too and he pops for another school, I will stick by this statement, the way this has ended is kind of a joke.

I wish I was an insider so I could see what tea leaves everyone is getting, because from where I sit, everyone was getting really bad info on this one.  And for my money, that is because you all were being intentionally deceived.

The reality of this is that, even though I did not say it on the board, once it came down that it was between IU and Purdue, I knew we were in trouble.  Out of respect for the family, I've held off from speculating on the board ever since this thread was opened.  But, if I had done so at the time we offered, I would have said Purdue without hesitation.  From the things I personally saw and heard, it seemed to me that the relationship with Painter and the Purdue coaching staff was stronger than the one with IU's staff.  

My belief changed after Purdue got the commitment from Furst,.  I honestly did not think they would play together.  That's when I started to switch to the belief that Virginia was a player.  I just never got the IU vibe that others saw.  Don't get me wrong, I believed IU had a chance because of the 'being close to home' thing' worked against Virginia, and I thought the Furst commitment took out Purdue. 

A lot of my beliefs starting changing about 6 weeks ago.  I got some reliable information that Purdue was leading.  And, once I stepped back and thought about it, I realized that Furst may not be the barrier I thought he was.  The reality is that Trey is BETTER than Furst.  He may not have been 2 years ago, but he is now.  If Painter only has enough minutes for one of them, those minutes go to Trey.

Once it came out it was Purdue or Indiana, I knew my concerns about Furst not being an obstacle were valid.  If it would have been Virginia or Indiana, I would have felt a lot better.  My heart took me through some additional mental exercises trying to convince me it could be IU, but my head knew better.

Painter won this recruitment with the relationship he built.  It's as simple as that.  As someone that has seen Trey play since he was in elementary, I'm obviously sad he did not choose IU.  But, yes, I will continue to follow him, hope he does well in college, but at the same time hope IU beats down the Boilers every time they play.  I understand others feel differently because he's not local for you guys.  But, he's not Gary Harris or Trey Lyles to me.  He's Trey Kaufman, someone I've watched develop over several years.    

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

that is because you all were being intentionally deceived.

Or it's a ruse...

I know a lot of people poo-poo the idea that CAM's birthday is of any relevance, but I do...It would be like rubbing his face in it to me, and Trey just doesn't strike me as that kind of kid...

This stinks, but this is a good kid and someone that epitomizes Indiana basketball culture. But if I could try to take the sting away a little, those of you outside extreme Southern Indiana may not understand the limited exposure to IU basketball we have. As I have said before on here, our mall in Clarksville has a store called Kentucky Korner, the local news is based out Louisville, and IU gets 3rd billing and is sometimes on par with western KY coverage. ( except wdrb, who gives IU some props) of course Trey had some family ties to IU, and had even less exposure to Purdue than IU, but the idea that kids in Southern Indiana grow up seeing the under 8 time out at Assembly Hall and dream of wearing Candy Stripes is far from reality. Another reason Romeo was such a huge get.The sense of loyalty to IU for these kids is not there, which is entirely not their fault. Winning cures a lot of ills.Good luck to Trey and family. 

41 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Why is it a stupid move? TV time is limited....PU not exactly a spotlight outside of the state with the exception of very runs into the tournament that gain attention....Shitty campus experience......unless you are in the AG program, educational opportunities just do not equate....I could go on....

I will just say I don’t agree with that accessment...I don’t want to get into an argument and have to defend Purdue so I’ll just leave it at that. I have many friends and know several people I’ve worked with over the years that went to Purdue and would disagree with your accessment. We all love IU but the pretty popular girl isn’t always the best choice. I’d say this recruitment came down to the coach and vision of play. Matt was able to better show why Trey would flourish in his system (Trey even said IU didn’t really have a guy like him on their team to show what they would do with him and how he would fit into their offense). It comes down to success on the floor. Not just wins and losses but success for kids Archie has coached. 

Archived