Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I did just see a picture of what looks to be Trey walking in the Jeffersonville HS radio station from last night. I still haven't heard any real audio though so who knows but Trey seems pretty straight forward that last night wasn't real. 

It appears he was there, and the Jeff High School Girls did have a scrimmage last night as well, which explains the shot with them on the court.  But, it's just a picture.  It's not an audio of a commitment, which no one has been able to produce.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kaufman did not 'drag things out'.  It's been posted numerous times in this thread with a list of players, but top recruits from this state rarely commit before the November signing period of their Senior year.  This includes TJD, Romeo, Zeller, Yogi, Blackmon, etc.  Some lesser in-state recruits do to ensure their spot.  

This year was atypical due to COVID. In a normal year most top players are taking officials throughout the fall. That hasn't been the case this year. Most timetables have moved up as a result.

Regardless, by dragged it out I just meant allowing the commitment to be delayed by months longer than what the insiders were expecting. 

That's not a Knock on Kaufman, to be clear. Maybe the insiders were wrong and this was always the timetable even with COVID.

The point is that Archie waited so long for Kaufman that most other options have dried up. Just like the Brooks recruitment. I get waiting for a Romeo level talent. But at the top 40 level, I'd have liked to see more urgency from Archie to have other options lined up, even to the point of taking a commitment from another player, in case Kaufman fell through. Especially after the Brooks debacle.

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Who wants to bet that if Trey picks Purdue before his time is up there that Furst will play the 5 and TK will play the 4 unless Edey actually turns into something. I'd put pretty high odds on it. 

I have no doubt Trey will play the 4.  It's just a matter of whether Furst plays the 5 or comes off the bench.  

Over the past 12 hours I have tried to stay out of this thread just skimming through it. For the most part I try to be a realist and also am an optimistic person in general. Maybe I am just naive or gullible not sure. Right up until the last moment the Ketchup kid went down south I held hope because of info that I was getting from 1 particular person. Nothing cryptic very matter of the fact info. He is the person that told me we were getting Arman, Rob, Duncomb, TJD and has only missed on the one guy. I really listen to his stuff and then pass it along. Maybe he just does not know but 20 minutes ago he spoke with me and said he truly feels its IU. Just passing along the info and I can say that I don't feel nearly as good as I did 24 hours ago. Hopefully it was all just a trick and at 600 we get our treat. If not life goes on I have a beautiful wife 3 great kids and won't lose any sleep over it. Have a blessed day FRIENDS!!

Just now, 5fouls said:

I have no doubt Trey will play the 4.  It's just a matter of whether Furst plays the 5 or comes off the bench.  

I think there’d be lineups with Trey at the 3, Furst at the 4, and Williams at the 5. But I could see them going small and having both Furst and Kaufman at the 4/5 too. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Of course iconic players are remembered better at IU. But to say he wouldn’t be remembered at Purdue is wrong imo. So Hummel isn’t remembered? E’Twaun?

The most memorable thing about Hummel is the "Robbie Hummel's ACL" facebook page's tag line....."Should I go to the NBA or stay in college?  I'm torn."

If this plays out as indicated I'll reiterate what I said yesterday. He's Trey Lyles, Gary Harris, Josh McRoberts, AJ Hammons to me...won't cheer or support the kid again. Not only does he heave his long running AAU mates holding the bag he's heading to an arch rival. Sorry....doesn't get much worse.

Edit-And if Trey chooses IU. Disregard everything I've said.

8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Not to defend Boiler......I'm bragging on a player from my HS alma mater. He was a great player from Martinsville that later attended that dark university up north......John Wooden.

Yep. No one outside of this state knows where he went to college. He isn't remembered for what he did at purdue. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Of course iconic players are remembered better at IU. But to say he wouldn’t be remembered at Purdue is wrong imo. So Hummel isn’t remembered? E’Twaun?

Not anywhere close to what they would be if they attended IU. I haven’t heard either one of those names in a long time. 
but Boiler I appreciate What you bring to this board from the other side as long as it’s legit like it’s been! 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think there’d be lineups with Trey at the 3, Furst at the 4, and Williams at the 5. But I could see them going small and having both Furst and Kaufman at the 4/5 too. 

If the other team plays big as well, I can see it.  If the other team has a lightning quick 6:4 guy playing the 3 spot, I don't see it.  Against IU, with Hunter at the 3?  Yeah, I could see that.  

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If this plays out as indicated I'll reiterate what I said yesterday. He's Trey Lyles, Gary Harris, Josh McRoberts, AJ Hammons to me...won't cheer or support the kid again. Not only does he heave his long running AAU mates holding the bag he's heading to an arch rival. Sorry....doesn't get much worse.

Edit-And if Trey chooses IU. Disregard everything I've said.

Lol at the edit.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yep. No one outside of this state knows where he went to college. He isn't remembered for what he did at purdue. 

Most people outside of the Big have no idea what state Purdue is in let alone who played there. In all my travels when people ask where Im from and I say Indiana not 1 has ever said anything about Purdue or their basketball program. Many have said something about Brad Stevens or Butler lots of Notre Dame mostly Bob Knight stuff but ZERO for Purdue

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He is the person that told me we were getting Arman, Rob, Duncomb, TJD and has only missed on the one guy.

One plausible (and perhaps obvious) interpretation: the coaching staff was apparently overconfident about its chances to land Brooks (hence the lack of a backup plan), and may have fallen prey to the same hubris with Kaufman. If so, and assuming that your insider (or others) are getting their info from someone in the program, then it is only natural that the two prediction misses were the two guys that the staff was overconfident about.

In other words, usually the staff has a good feel for who we're going to land. But when the insiders miss, it's the recruitments that also catch the staff off-guard too.

29 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Over the past 12 hours I have tried to stay out of this thread just skimming through it. For the most part I try to be a realist and also am an optimistic person in general. Maybe I am just naive or gullible not sure. Right up until the last moment the Ketchup kid went down south I held hope because of info that I was getting from 1 particular person. Nothing cryptic very matter of the fact info. He is the person that told me we were getting Arman, Rob, Duncomb, TJD and has only missed on the one guy. I really listen to his stuff and then pass it along. Maybe he just does not know but 20 minutes ago he spoke with me and said he truly feels its IU. Just passing along the info and I can say that I don't feel nearly as good as I did 24 hours ago. Hopefully it was all just a trick and at 600 we get our treat. If not life goes on I have a beautiful wife 3 great kids and won't lose any sleep over it. Have a blessed day FRIENDS!!

I just have to say if this is a trick, conjured up by TK, it won’t sit well with me. Even if he picks IU and Purdue is at the butt end of the joke. That wouldn’t show much character, IMO.

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Most people outside of the Big have no idea what state Purdue is in let alone who played there. In all my travels when people ask where Im from and I say Indiana not 1 has ever said anything about Purdue or their basketball program. Many have said something about Brad Stevens or Butler lots of Notre Dame mostly Bob Knight stuff but ZERO for Purdue

I've met people that didn't know Notre Dame was in Indiana 

Archived