Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

9 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Miller has also OWNED Tom Izzo and Michigan state

but but but... he didn't beat Team A and that's my story!! He's not Bob Knight!! He sucks!! We are Indiana and should win every game ever, even though we have LITERALLY improved EVERY year!! That doesn't matter!! 

He BETTER start beating Purdue.... even though our university has a losing record against them in Mens basketball before I was even alive (1990)..... He HAS to beat them, like that's some barometer for how good of a coach Archie is. Good grief. 

Archie can coach. No reason we are discussing our coach, at all. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 5fouls said:

After this season, make me a promise and put the 'playing with Crean's recruits excuse to bed.  

Jordan Hulls (2009) and Cody Zeller (2011) were the only two Indiana Mr. Basketball players to play under Tom Crean in eight seasons. Deshaun Thomas, Gary Harris, Zak Irvin, Trey Lyles, Caleb Swanigan, Kyle Guy, and Kris Wilkes are all Indiana Mr. Basketballs who went to other schools. Even worse, many of them went to in-conference rivals. It peeved Indiana Basketball fans for years that these home-grown talents were slipping away with very little resistance.

However, since Miller became coach, he has secured more commitments from Indiana Mr. Basketballs than Tom Crean did in half the amount of time. In fact, had Khristian Lander not reclassified to the class of 2020, Miller would likely have four in a row.

For all the flack Miller gets, no one can deny that he has lived up to the words he said at his very first interview as head coach of the Hoosiers:

“The term that we’ll use is called inside-out. We have to start inside this state of Indiana, and we have to start moving outside very slowly, because the footprint is there. The inside-out approach means that we have to dedicate ourselves to the high school coaches in this state, the high school talent in this state, the grass-roots programs in this state, and they must feel like they’re being dominated by Indiana University. You’re not going to get every player; you understand that. But if we want them, we should have a great chance of getting them because of the commitment level that we’re putting forth 24 hours a day at home.

Miller has thoroughly accomplished every word of that through three seasons. Getting local talent, especially the Indiana Mr. Basketball, is something necessary to the catharsis of being an Indiana fan. The state lines of Indiana mark the borders of sacred ground for the game of basketball. It’s crucial to funnel the most elite players carrying out that sacred tradition to the state’s main university.

Miller has, of course, had recruiting misses. Every coach will. Keion Brooks went to Kentucky, and Minnesota prospect Dawson Garcia committed to Marquette despite desperate pushes from Miller. The streak of Indiana Mr. Basketballs attending Indiana University must be broken eventually.

However, as of now, an unshakable foundation has been placed in the state by Archie Miller. He understands the traditions of the state and what is important to the fans. Despite other flaws being present, fans should be gushing over his success recruiting top in-state talent.

https://hoosierstateofmind.com/2020/05/28/indiana-basketball-archie-millers-state-recruiting-taken-granted/

Guys we are getting as bad as the Rivals site with the Archie bashing and it is not a good thing.  He has only been here 3 years and every coach should get 5 years to prove that they can turn a proogram around.  We have improved every year on wins and stats so  maybe it is not big enough improvement that some want to see but there has been improvement.  It has been shown on mnany occassions tha many HOF coaches took 3 too 4 years to really get going in their big program job.  I guess some still needs this reminder that just because after year 3 Archie doesn't have us competiting for champiosnhips that it will never happen.

First 3 years records

Archie at IU 55-43

Izzo at MSU 55-37

Coach K at Duke- 38-47

Bennett at UVA 53-41

Wright at Villanova 62-46

Smith at UNC 35-26

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Jordan Hulls (2009) and Cody Zeller (2011) were the only two Indiana Mr. Basketball players to play under Tom Crean in eight seasons. Deshaun Thomas, Gary Harris, Zak Irvin, Trey Lyles, Caleb Swanigan, Kyle Guy, and Kris Wilkes are all Indiana Mr. Basketballs who went to other schools. Even worse, many of them went to in-conference rivals. It peeved Indiana Basketball fans for years that these home-grown talents were slipping away with very little resistance.

However, since Miller became coach, he has secured more commitments from Indiana Mr. Basketballs than Tom Crean did in half the amount of time. In fact, had Khristian Lander not reclassified to the class of 2020, Miller would likely have four in a row.

For all the flack Miller gets, no one can deny that he has lived up to the words he said at his very first interview as head coach of the Hoosiers:

“The term that we’ll use is called inside-out. We have to start inside this state of Indiana, and we have to start moving outside very slowly, because the footprint is there. The inside-out approach means that we have to dedicate ourselves to the high school coaches in this state, the high school talent in this state, the grass-roots programs in this state, and they must feel like they’re being dominated by Indiana University. You’re not going to get every player; you understand that. But if we want them, we should have a great chance of getting them because of the commitment level that we’re putting forth 24 hours a day at home.

Miller has thoroughly accomplished every word of that through three seasons. Getting local talent, especially the Indiana Mr. Basketball, is something necessary to the catharsis of being an Indiana fan. The state lines of Indiana mark the borders of sacred ground for the game of basketball. It’s crucial to funnel the most elite players carrying out that sacred tradition to the state’s main university.

Miller has, of course, had recruiting misses. Every coach will. Keion Brooks went to Kentucky, and Minnesota prospect Dawson Garcia committed to Marquette despite desperate pushes from Miller. The streak of Indiana Mr. Basketballs attending Indiana University must be broken eventually.

However, as of now, an unshakable foundation has been placed in the state by Archie Miller. He understands the traditions of the state and what is important to the fans. Despite other flaws being present, fans should be gushing over his success recruiting top in-state talent.

https://hoosierstateofmind.com/2020/05/28/indiana-basketball-archie-millers-state-recruiting-taken-granted/

I'm good with his recruiting.  My point is that 'playing with Crean's recruits' is an excuse for not winning, for finishing in the bottom half of the conference.  Al is the last man standing with that label.  If we finish in the last half of the conference again, how can we seriously use that excuse any longer?

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

3-2 is owning someone? Damn, considering there are other coaches Miller is sub-.500 against, there are even more coaches who have owned him than I thought. 

Name another team in the BIG that has a winning record against Izzo...what you want last year in year 3? 20+ wins and an NCAA birth wasn’t good enough? Oh but Painter in like year 15th went 16-15... bahaha. 

So is it safe to say that if the Crystal Ball picks are changing then it must be a done deal that he’s going to PU? or is there any chance at all that they are just changing their picks due to the leak of stuff that might be fake and they end up getting schooled and be wrong?  

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Guys we are getting as bad as the Rivals site with the Archie bashing and it is not a good thing.  He has only been here 3 years and every coach should get 5 years to prove that they can turn a proogram around.  We have improved every year on wins and stats so  maybe it is not big enough improvement that some want to see but there has been improvement.  It has been shown on mnany occassions tha many HOF coaches took 3 too 4 years to really get going in their big program job.  I guess some still needs this reminder that just because after year 3 Archie doesn't have us competiting for champiosnhips that it will never happen.

First 3 years records

Archie at IU 55-43

Izzo at MSU 55-37

Coach K at Duke- 38-47

Bennett at UVA 53-41

Wright at Villanova 62-46

Smith at UNC 35-26

What I see is that he's lost more than Izzo, Bennett, and Smith, and won fewer games than Wright.  So, the only one he truly out-performed was Coach K, who had to compete with UNC for recruits instead of Purdue.  :coffee:

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm good with his recruiting.  My point is that 'playing with Crean's recruits' is an excuse for not winning, for finishing in the bottom half of the conference.  Al is the last man standing with that label.  If we finish in the last half of the conference again, how can we seriously use that excuse any longer?

I'm just excited to see an IU team that doesn't have D Green at the point.

Just now, 5fouls said:

What I see is that he's lost more than Izzo, Bennett, and Smith, and won fewer games than Wright.  So, the only one he truly out-performed was Coach K, who had to compete with UNC for recruits instead of Purdue.  :coffee:

They are all close and it took all of them 3 years to get into the tournament

My team is on the floor and will root for those guys and the seaosns tarts in ess than a month.  It is time to worry about guys who chose IU over guys who don't want to be here.  trey seems like a good kid and has a good head on his shoulders.  Since it appears he will not be coming here then I will not spend time worrying about him and his career.  Just like with Montross and the many other top Indiana kids who went elsewhere is that I don't realy care how their career ends up.

It's over guys. Might as well lock the thread. 

Brooks, Garland, Garcia, Kaufman. Gone. 

Romeo, Lander, Leal, TJD, Phin. Here

We lose some big ones and we win some big ones. These are 17 year old kids and if they don't want to go to the school we want them to then that does not make them any less intelligent than us. 

Painter can be a shit head, but he can coach and recruit and its great for the IU-PU rivalry and great for the state. 

Now who is the next 150+ page thread? 

Jalen Washington is my pick. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

My team is on the floor and will root for those guys and the seaosns tarts in ess than a month.  It is time to worry about guys who chose IU over guys who don't want to be here.  trey seems like a good kid and has a good head on his shoulders.  Since it appears he will not be coming here then I will not spend time worrying about him and his career.  Just like with Montross and the many other top Indiana kids who went elsewhere is that I don't realy care how their career ends up.

It's all about the wins on the court; off-the-court wins will follow. Archie needs to beat PU on the court first and foremost.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

BTW.  Trey has a younger brother in elementary that many, including Trey himself, say is better than Trey was at that age.  Hopefully our fans don't over-react too badly when this becomes official.

and good chance he'll be bigger to much bigger 

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

BTW.  Trey has a younger brother in elementary that many, including Trey himself, say is better than Trey was at that age.  Hopefully our fans don't over-react too badly when this becomes official.

I am an old classmate of the director at WNAS. I will recommend the NAHS station for that announcement 

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you know what your asking out of this board?? Haha that not gonna happen. We were supposed to go  36-0 last year dang it! Come on fouls. And we are supposed to get every recruit we want!

Archived