Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Well for one IU won 20 games last year and was going to be in the tournament and Purdue wasn’t but everyone seems to forget that. In year 3 that’s what I expected from Archie so what you want last year 25 wins? 

Top half of the B1G too much to ask? I’m more disappointed in our conference finish then the overall WL when you can rack up 8-9 cupcake wins a year just by favorable scheduling. We had some momentum off the FSU win but once conference started I saw an inconsistent team.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Top half of the B1G too much to ask? I’m more disappointed in our conference finish then the overall WL when you can rack up 8-9 cupcake wins a year just by favorable scheduling. We had some momentum off the FSU win but once conference started I saw an inconsistent team.

Well Iowa was 11-9 and finished 5th and we were 9-11 and tied for 10th.  So there were two games between us finishing 10th to 5th place.  It is not like we were that far away from being in the top half of the league.

28 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That is somewhat fair.  But two years ago Lander was the big fish in this class.   Would we feel a little better if Lander had not reclassed and the class was currently Lander and Duncomb with a chance still at Mohammad and Miller?

Maybe but I sure wouldn't feel good about this season.   There are already 2 open scholarships for this season.   If Lander hadn't reclassified Archie would have been scrapping the bottom for a player.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

52 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Boy this 2021 class isn't shaping up like we thought. We got one commit only. Archie needs to win big this year period cause so far the calvary is not coming in next year.

Next year players are basically free agents. So if there was ever a class to whiff on, this would be it. 

9 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Judging by the responses in here after the 🤬 that went down last night game threads should be fun this year....

Honestly I don't even care anymore.  I expect us to lose most games.  Until the administration changes nothing changes.  And that will never change either.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Honestly I don't even care anymore.  I expect us to lose most games.  Until the administration changes nothing changes.  And that will never change either.

Haven't seen you here for a long time then one negative thing happen and you come out of the closet.  If you don't care why do you keep coming on here and complaining.  You are better off with your buddies over at rivals since that is where all the negative people hang out.  Fans like this is why I am not as proud to be an IU fan like I use to.  To many of our fans are going the UK route and have to bash everybody if things don't just go their way.  Being an IU fan use to mean something and that it was that we were diferent than other fan bases because we did care about mor ethan just the win/loss column.

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

If I were you, I would just tune out or follow another team. 

Amen brother, if an outcome of an IU game makes you this miserable then it is time to move to another team and just be winner bandwagon fan.  To me if you can't be a fan during the bad times and will turn yur back on your team then we don't want you back when things turn around.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Haven't seen you here for a long time then one negative thing happen and you come out of the closet.  If you don't care why do you keep coming on here and complaining.  You are better off with your buddies over at rivals since that is where all the negative people hang out.  Fans like this is why I am not as proud to be an IU fan like I use to.  To many of our fans are going the UK route and have to bash everybody if things don't just go their way.  Being an IU fan use to mean something and that it was that we were diferent than other fan bases because we did care about mor ethan just the win/loss column.

BraVO, Scott! Reading some of these guys posts are so toxic and full of despair....GEEEESH.

We are all just grumpy about bad news.  The past is past at this point.  Let's see what happens in at least the first few games before we go this negative again.

There is plenty to be irritated about, but one kid should not make people go this negative so quick.  And it is one kid, because two weeks ago when it was looking like IU had a chance, there was none of this talk.  

I am thinking it is time for the IU administration to just shut down the basketball program since the sky is falling.  Damn we lose one recruit who we thought we were getting and everybody goes nuts.  This program is headed in the right direction and have seen improvement every year.  It has been slower than I would like but I am not giving up after only 3 years.  If we keep turning on coaches after two or 3 years  then everytime there is an opening the candidates will be less than impressive.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We are all just grumpy about bad news.  The past is past at this point.  Let's see what happens in at least the first few games before we go this negative again.

There is plenty to be irritated about, but one kid should not make people go this negative so quick.  And it is one kid, because two weeks ago when it was looking like IU had a chance, there was none of this talk.  

The thing is that two weeks ago there were a lot to be excited about when it came to IU basketball.  the only thing that changed in that time frame is one recruit deciding to go elsewhere.  I think we will finish 5th in the big ten this year and it is a very competitive league this year.  i think that would give us a 5th seed in the tournament so that owuld be a good jump from last year.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'm good with his recruiting.  My point is that 'playing with Crean's recruits' is an excuse for not winning, for finishing in the bottom half of the conference.  Al is the last man standing with that label.  If we finish in the last half of the conference again, how can we seriously use that excuse any longer?

It's not an "excuse," it's a simple reality that he's been playing with the prior coach's recruits, who were recruited to play a different style (and Smith of course left because he wasn't going to get to play how he wanted this season). While for some reason you say bottom half of conference, you're ignoring we've improved each of CAM's first 3 seasons, were, clearly, in the tourney this past season but for COVID, and that the B1G has been stacked with quality, ranked teams. 

This season just look at the pre-season ranked B1G teams coming into the season. The conference is flat out loaded. As we've been talking about on the Board, a pre-season projection for this year's IU team anywhere from about 5 to about 8 or so, seems fair. So, again, no "excuses," but by the same token, are you seriously using a mid-conference or so possible finish to say CAM can't coach? That was the post I replied to, and I would strongly disagree that that kind of a flippant response holds water.

CAM can clearly coach. He can clearly coach at a B1G level. He's clearly improved IU every season. Now, whether he is right long-term, whether he will -- as he appears to indicate he will -- move to more of a spaced-floor, guard-oriented offense, and play the type of uptempo game, including shooting, that most (myself included) believe is needed, remains to be seen. Last season we had Smith on the perimeter (I REFUSE to call him a 3, Christ he was as far from a 3 as can be) -- our offense suffered. Now we expect to see an actual 3-guard/wing type offense. Will it translate to finishing in the top 5 or so? Don't know -- but we do have talent, talent CAM recruited, including Lander, and I think the improvement will continue.

27 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Nothing says "I don't care" quite like going out of your way to visit a fan message board to announce that you don't care.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

BTW.  Trey has a younger brother in elementary that many, including Trey himself, say is better than Trey was at that age.  Hopefully our fans don't over-react too badly when this becomes official.

I don’t think anyone blames Trey for the decision. Doesn’t mean they will root for him but his decision is his decision. I think people are saying Archies job just got a whole lot more difficult with some of these recent misses that we were thought to be favored in.
His record so far is pretty mixed. He hasn’t really lost to many bad teams...he has had some good wins against good teams...but when it comes to that middle ground where you make your money (and rankings in the B1G) he hasn’t excelled. He hasn’t built much momentum.
Again I’m not talking overall record. To me that is pretty irrelevant. His record in the B1G is what matters. I can care less if he beats out of conference opponents. It’s nice but I will know we are headed in the right direction by how we finish conference play. I think the sentiment is he has his guys...time to put up or shut up. I hope he does. If he doesn’t...well I think people will start to say ok...these are your guys..is there help on the way? If not overwhelming feeling there is then he is going to be on a hot seat for sure. 

Archived