Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think anyone blames Trey for the decision. Doesn’t mean they will root for him but his decision is his decision. I think people are saying Archies job just got a whole lot more difficult with some of these recent misses that we were thought to be favored in.
His record so far is pretty mixed. He hasn’t really lost to many bad teams...he has had some good wins against good teams...but when it comes to that middle ground where you make your money (and rankings in the B1G) he hasn’t excelled. He hasn’t built much momentum.
Again I’m not talking overall record. To me that is pretty irrelevant. His record in the B1G is what matters. I can care less if he beats out of conference opponents. It’s nice but I will know we are headed in the right direction by how we finish conference play. I think the sentiment is he has his guys...time to put up or shut up. I hope he does. If he doesn’t...well I think people will start to say ok...these are your guys..is there help on the way? If not overwhelming feeling there is then he is going to be on a hot seat for sure. 

I agree with all that, I just think that we should at least wait until we lose our first game before we all lose our minds...not after losing one recruit.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If both Lander and TJD go pro after this year, that would have to indicate that we had a pretty darn good year right?  

I do like the inside out approach, however, I am also aware that for some of the in state kids, using Indiana as an attention getter is probably somewhat part of the process too.  To that end, Archie has carted blanche from me to take em where he can get them.  I don't notice as much of this nonsense with the out of state kids and it is kind of nice to just open up the news and see "so and so committed" as opposed to this or the Brooks shhh show.

I am still a little iffy on our future, but I am going to wait until the class fills out and we see what happens this year on the court before I hit the panic button harder.

I think that’s the right approach. All I’ve been saying is that Archies job has just gotten more difficult with some of these recent misses. Sure if he wins big this year or he runs the table with what’s left in the 21 recruiting class no doubt no problems.

The issue is he has tried to land a stretch 4 for some time now. Brooks, Garcia, Kaufman. He just hasn’t done it. What has hurt our offense...shooting of course...but also we have pulled our hair out from what we’ve seen from Smith. His lack of shooting and handles has really hurt the offense. He still hasn’t found that guy yet. I think he is trying hard but it just hasn’t happened and if that hurts us on the court Archie is going to be feeling the heat.

Just now, dgambill said:

I think that’s the right approach. All I’ve been saying is that Archies job has just gotten more difficult with some of these recent misses. Sure if he wins big this year or he runs the table with what’s left in the 21 recruiting class no doubt no problems.

The issue is he has tried to land a stretch 4 for some time now. Brooks, Garcia, Kaufman. He just hasn’t done it. What has hurt our offense...shooting of course...but also we have pulled our hair out from what we’ve seen from Smith. His lack of shooting and handles has really hurt the offense. He still hasn’t found that guy yet. I think he is trying hard but it just hasn’t happened and if that hurts us on the court Archie is going to be feeling the heat.

Jerome Hunter 

49 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Honestly I don't even care anymore.  I expect us to lose most games.  Until the administration changes nothing changes.  And that will never change either.

Man...people think just being critical or objective of what is going on is being a pessimist....please don’t confuse us with this guy! This is a pessimist. So please be careful throwing that around at someone who is simply making an argument that things could be better.

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Time to lock or delete this thread.  Trey is not a generational talent (yes I wanted him as a Hoosier but he’s not a Zeller or Romeo)or even a program changer. He’s just a good player from Indiana we all thought we would get.   Let’s move on. 

Yup....hate to say it but CAM whiffed on the top 3 in the state this year...could someone play the song...F 2020 as the thread gets locked up..🤦🏼‍♂️

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Yup....hate to say it but CAM whiffed on the top 3 in the state this year...could someone play the song...F 2020 as the thread gets locked up..🤦🏼‍♂️

The top 2021 in-state player is already in Bloomington.

The staff was never that high on Furst, so they targeted Duncomb because he's a better player, and got him. 

Kaufman was a miss, but still have Mason Miller and Aminu Mohammed out there.

4 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

The staff was never that high on Furst, so they targeted Duncomb because he's a better player, and got him. 

No offense but was Lander Gatorade player of the year? He was higher rated but that doesn’t mean he was better player.

7 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

You are correct,therefore not a member of the ‘21 one class..a class that was supposed to be a big class for the State

33 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Who is the third and it didn't sound like we recruited Furst that hard.  Also obth IU and OU both stopped recruiting Wesleh so I don't know if he whiffed on the top 3.  Also Lander was the top rated in this class and archie got him

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I like Jordan and we may play small but he isn’t a 4. He would get exposed in the post. Even Jerome will have his issues but Jordan is uber athletic but that doesn’t mean he can give up 30 lbs and 3-4 inches.

Well loooked at the IU roster and it had him at 6'7 220 and the only thing I found on Kaufmann was he listed at 6'8 210 so you are saying that Kaufmann can play inside but Geronimo can't just because of one inch.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

BTW.  Trey has a younger brother in elementary that many, including Trey himself, say is better than Trey was at that age.  Hopefully our fans don't over-react too badly when this becomes official.

Meh.....I heard the same thing about Eric Gordon and James Blackmon Jr.  The "little brother is even better" story has been overplayed in my opinion.

53 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Time to lock or delete this thread.  Trey is not a generational talent (yes I wanted him as a Hoosier but he’s not a Zeller or Romeo)or even a program changer. He’s just a good player from Indiana we all thought we would get.   Let’s move on. 

This is where I'm at. Will I cheer for the kid? Absolutely not. Do I care about his younger brother? Absolutely not. You choose a rival....done to me. 

In terms of Archie and IU. He's owned the state since his hiring. Maybe this class isn't panning out (yet) because guys know how good Geronimo, Leal, Galloway,etc...are and they know they'll have to fight for minutes.

Still disappointed but like you said...this isn't a Romeo or Zeller type must get. 

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Typical Jerry Meyer.  Waits until a few hours before announcement   to make his crystal ball pick

Did your guy say much about this recruitment the last few days.  I knew you said that the winds were blowing to WL and then a few days later thought it sounded good for IU.

57 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Man...people think just being critical or objective of what is going on is being a pessimist....please don’t confuse us with this guy! This is a pessimist. So please be careful throwing that around at someone who is simply making an argument that things could be better.

What irritates some of us is that no one was even tlaking about Archie for a long time.  Everything I saw has been a lot of people being enthusiastic about the upcoming season and thought everything was headed in the rigt direction.  What really upsets people is that since one recruit comes out and goes elsewhere then people come out of the wood work who has been here complaining about Archie and the direction of the program.

Archived