Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think anyone blames Trey for the decision. Doesn’t mean they will root for him but his decision is his decision. I think people are saying Archies job just got a whole lot more difficult with some of these recent misses that we were thought to be favored in.
His record so far is pretty mixed. He hasn’t really lost to many bad teams...he has had some good wins against good teams...but when it comes to that middle ground where you make your money (and rankings in the B1G) he hasn’t excelled. He hasn’t built much momentum.
Again I’m not talking overall record. To me that is pretty irrelevant. His record in the B1G is what matters. I can care less if he beats out of conference opponents. It’s nice but I will know we are headed in the right direction by how we finish conference play. I think the sentiment is he has his guys...time to put up or shut up. I hope he does. If he doesn’t...well I think people will start to say ok...these are your guys..is there help on the way? If not overwhelming feeling there is then he is going to be on a hot seat for sure. 

Archie needs to win big this year as the honeymoon is over.  Anything less than top 5 in year 4 is not acceptable imo. If not its either over or major hot seat.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Who is the third and it didn't sound like we recruited Furst that hard.  Also obth IU and OU both stopped recruiting Wesleh so I don't know if he whiffed on the top 3.  Also Lander was the top rated in this class and archie got him

Cam recruited Furst,Wesley,and Kaufman...none of those will be in Candy stripes....also Lander reclassified,therefore not part of ‘21....needless to say there will be no in state players from the state in this class.

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Cam recruited Furst,Wesley,and Kaufman...none of those will be in Candy stripes....also Lander reclassified,therefore not part of ‘21....needless to say there will be no in state players from the state in this class.

It is a known fact that PU and IU stopped recruiting Wesley a long time ago so that is no whiff.  Just because you offer a player like Furst does not mean they made him a priority or really had a good chance to get him.  Also you said that the 2021 class wa shuge for IU and when people started saying this Lander was still in this class.  Archie got the best player from this class and that is a fact.

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

Yep. Sure will be strange having a roster of TJD, Lander, Franklin, Phinisee, Leal, Galloway, Brunk...so many out of state carpetbaggers on the team. Seriously guys? Where is this stuff coming from? 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Sure will be strange having a roster of TJD, Lander, Franklin, Phinisee, Leal, Galloway, Brunk...so many out of state carpetbaggers on the team. Seriously guys? Where is this stuff coming from? 

First sign of any negativity the  roaches come out of the walls

Just now, IU Scott said:

First sign of any negativity the coack roaches come out of the walls

I guess. Not to mention Race, Hunter...and Duncomb next year. You think Archie will slow down? Miller and Mohammad are being prioritized right now and if we miss on those?? Hit the transfer market for a year and load up in 2022. 

Am I upset? Sure....but this isn't the end of the world at all. Special kid and player but he's done to this IU fan. We move on. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I guess. Not to mention Race, Hunter...and Duncomb next year. You think Archie will slow down? Miller and Mohammad are being prioritized right now and if we miss on those?? Hit the transfer market for a year and load up in 2022. 

Am I upset? Sure....but this isn't the end of the world at all. Special kid and player but he's done to this IU fan. We move on. 

To me it is so much harder being an IU fan today than it use to be.  I use to be proud to be part of the IU fan base but today's fans just ruin it for me.  All the ocnstant negativity especially over one recruit is just mind blowing to me.  I think some people just get off on being negative and looking at everything in a negative light.  I am glad I don't see the world in this light because I would just shoot myself.  Yes I am dissappointed that Trey did not pick Iu but the last 6 months has shown me that the outcome of a recruiting battle is not very important.  Having your company sell out your department that have worked in for 6 years.  Then catching the virus and losing you job puts think in a different perspective.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it is so much harder being an IU fan today than it use to be.  I use to be proud to be part of the IU fan base but today's fans just ruin it for me.  All the ocnstant negativity especially over one recruit is just mind blowing to me.  I think some people just get off on being negative and looking at everything in a negative light.  I am glad I don't see the world in this light because I would just shoot myself.  Yes I am dissappointed that Trey did not pick Iu but the last 6 months has shown me that the outcome of a recruiting battle is not very important.  Having your company sell out your department that have worked in for 6 years.  Then catching the virus and losing you job puts think in a different perspective.

Fans have always been that way.....the clowns have a platform now

24 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I'm guessing the interviews with Trey. My confidence all week as well

My guess is the “sources” from the IU side were all connected to the team/athletic department and not the kid/family.   Thus, if staff was feeling confident it was probably relayed and “our” insiders felt good.  Works when staff is right. Not so much when wrong. 

3 minutes ago, iucane said:

My guess is the “sources” from the IU side were all connected to the team/athletic department and not the kid/family.   Thus, if staff was feeling confident it was probably relayed and “our” insiders felt good.  Works when staff is right. Not so much when wrong. 

I don't think I would ever use this as a source because I am sure most coaching staff feels good about a recruitment.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think I would ever use this as a source because I am sure most coaching staff feels good about a recruitment.

That is why most “insiders” are wrong 😀.  Werent we making fun of the Purdue Rivals insider regarding Kaufman saying he was using Painter?  Guess Painter has a better “feel” than Archie and the boys 

5 minutes ago, iucane said:

Bingo. Bc our insiders thought it was IU up until the last 24 hours. Evidently it never was.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You’ll get some of them right if you’re listening to somebody close to the program, but agree, wouldn’t consider that real inside info. 

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What irritates some of us is that no one was even tlaking about Archie for a long time.  Everything I saw has been a lot of people being enthusiastic about the upcoming season and thought everything was headed in the rigt direction.  What really upsets people is that since one recruit comes out and goes elsewhere then people come out of the wood work who has been here complaining about Archie and the direction of the program.

That's an easy one.  We have not been good by any stretch of the imagination for a long period of time.  We have had 3 decent years IIRC since Crean was hired.  Last year was finally a potential NCAA tournament year, but even that had us under .500 in conference and finishing in the bottom half.

Every little bad thing that happens leads to a sky is falling type of reaction because to many people, the sky fell years ago and the improvement that has occurred has been slow and ugly.

I get why people are pessimistic.

From my perspective Iu would have more pros than cons than Purdue has when picking a school

Pros for IU-  Basketball history of winning championships, facilities, campus, friends that are already on the team, fan base that loves basketball. Being able to play the stretch 4 since they already have a center of the future.

Cons- I guess the offensive style

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

From my perspective Iu would have more pros than cons than Purdue has when picking a school

Pros for IU-  Basketball history of winning championships, facilities, campus, friends that are already on the team, fan base that loves basketball. Being able to play the stretch 4 since they already have a center of the future.

Cons- I guess the offensive style

Yeah CAM definitely needs to figure out the offense.  It has been painful to watch. 

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That's an easy one.  We have not been good by any stretch of the imagination for a long period of time.  We have had 3 decent years IIRC since Crean was hired.  Last year was finally a potential NCAA tournament year, but even that had us under .500 in conference and finishing in the bottom half.

Every little bad thing that happens leads to a sky is falling type of reaction because to many people, the sky fell years ago and the improvement that has occurred has been slow and ugly.

I get why people are pessimistic.

The thing is we can't blame Archie for the last 25 years of mediocrity.  He has been here 3 years and why not let him try to build the program back up before tryng to tear him down.

Archived