Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The staff had doubts if they did not know for certain  Otherwise, why the late offer to the European big?

I agree.  Personally, I saw this coming awhile ago and referenced it in my posts.  I didn’t beat it into the ground because it wasn’t worth arguing about.  The Purdue insider had it exactly right and had the info.  The signs were there.  It’s up to an individual to accept them or not.  

I feel for you, 5fouls.  You’re easily one of the best natured, irreverent, and well respected posters here, and you’re outstanding at defusing situations in normal debates. In this instance, you’re in a tough spot because you’re personally invested in a situation where the young man not only doesn’t go to IU but ends up at a rival a la Brooks.  So, of course the player will not be a favorite of this fan base.  It’s fairly normal. 

As far as the player goes, I think Trey is a very fine player.  But, I do hope Purdue plays him with Furst and another center consistently.  

Archie does need to land a forward with length and versatility.  We will see if he does.  But by far his biggest mandate is to start winning tough games consistently.  We wilt too much.  We haven’t had an edge where we are tactical.  He’s got his roster now.  It’s time to win or he will be a footnote soon where we look back on his era as being unmemorable.  

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I probably should post this in a different thread because it's not specific to Trey Kauffman, this is a general point that potentially applies to Kauffman, but I'm so sick of these clearly 4 position players being sold by people that they need to play the 2/3  in college for the NBA. That's just so wrong IMO and actually hinders their chances of making the NBA.

The NBA is going smaller, not taller. In the NBA 2's/3's are playing the 4. 3's and 4's are often times playing the 5. The NBA is not looking for 4's to play shooting guard. They're looking for guys like Kauffman and Justin Smith to show they can play the 4/5 with perimeter skills.

Take Justin Smith for example, yes he needs to show perimeter skills. He needs to show he can knock down spot up 3's and show the ability to attack off the dribble against bigger defenders, but his best chance to shine in that role at the college level is by playing the 4 so he's matched up against bigger guys and can exploit his athleticism, and knock down open 3's off flaring when he sets ball screens.

Nearly every college offense is the same in 2020, in nearly every college offense, including IU's, the 4 spends plenty of time on the perimeter. The 4's are setting ball screens for the perimeter players and then flaring to the wing, corner or top of the key. Smith, Kauffman, TJD, etc. just need to show they can consistently hit those open, pick and pop 3's. They don't need to play the 2/3 and try to show they're guards and offense creators.

IMO it's bad advice. Justin Smith's best chance to make the NBA IMO was to play the 4 next to a guy like TJD, and show he can hit open 3's off the pick and roll, take bigger defenders off the dribble after the pick and roll, and to show he can defend bigger guys if asked to play the 4/5 in the NBA.

Same for Kauffman. 

Amen to all of this. Very,very good post and information. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I probably should post this in a different thread because it's not specific to Trey Kauffman, this is a general point that potentially applies to Kauffman, but I'm so sick of these clearly 4 position players being sold by people that they need to play the 2/3  in college for the NBA. That's just so wrong IMO and actually hinders their chances of making the NBA.

The NBA is going smaller, not taller. In the NBA 2's/3's are playing the 4. 3's and 4's are often times playing the 5. The NBA is not looking for 4's to play shooting guard. They're looking for guys like Kauffman and Justin Smith to show they can play the 4/5 with perimeter skills.

Take Justin Smith for example, yes he needs to show perimeter skills. He needs to show he can knock down spot up 3's and show the ability to attack off the dribble against bigger defenders, but his best chance to shine in that role at the college level is by playing the 4 so he's matched up against bigger guys and can exploit his athleticism, and knock down open 3's off flaring when he sets ball screens.

Nearly every college offense is the same in 2020, in nearly every college offense, including IU's, the 4 spends plenty of time on the perimeter. The 4's are setting ball screens for the perimeter players and then flaring to the wing, corner or top of the key. Smith, Kauffman, TJD, etc. just need to show they can consistently hit those open, pick and pop 3's. They don't need to play the 2/3 and try to show they're guards and offense creators.

IMO it's bad advice. Justin Smith's best chance to make the NBA IMO was to play the 4 next to a guy like TJD, and show he can hit open 3's off the pick and roll, take bigger defenders off the dribble after the pick and roll, and to show he can defend bigger guys if asked to play the 4/5 in the NBA.

Same for Kauffman. 

Yeah, second all of this. 
Also, relevant to Kaufman, people should consider who we have on our roster right now at forward, and, realistically for him, what his playing time options early were likely to be. That’s not even considering that the NCAA gave the players an extra year of eligibility 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Trey didn't play with Lander in his later years because Lander was so good that he playing up a class and Trey was not playing with the 'big boys' in AAU until between his sophomore and junior season.  Trey was not part of the Indiana Elite program until then. 

He's developed a lot as a player over the last 3 years.  In fact, when they were freshmen. his teammate Kooper Jacobi actually had the more immediate impact on the Silver Creek team.  Trey was slowed but a wrist injury that cause him to miss the start of the season, but even after he came back,Jacobi was more consistent through most of that season.  Now, Jacobi is no slouch.  He's committed to Toledo.  But he's not a Top 40 prospect either. 

Jacobi is an elite competitor. He may not have the same physical gifts but that kid has all the mental and heart a D1 player needs. Best player on the floor many times when I watched games on video. Was hoping he would go to ISU or another state school.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Jacobi is an elite competitor. He may not have the same physical gifts but that kid has all the mental and heart a D1 player needs. Best player on the floor many times when I watched games on video. Was hoping he would go to ISU or another state school.

Yeah.  I was rooting for Indiana State as well, but they are pretty full at his position.  I was also holding out hope that Butler may offer.  But, he should have a chance to succeed right away at Toledo.  Don't be surprised if you see him on the MAC all-conference team by the time he is a junior.

His game against Fort Wayne Blackhawk last season was a masterpiece.

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

As I mentioned, I would expect Archie to start downplaying the possibility to minimize the shock factor and our insiders would have been backing down on their confidence levels as opposed to holding steady or increasing them.

Edit:  I'll add that if Archie did already know, and kept it quiet, then all of the insiders here and elsewhere were completely off base.  I just don't believe that to be true.

I think you're overrating how much thought Archie puts into any "insiders" and how they get information. It's not like Archie is secretly disseminating all of this info to get messages to HSN, BTB's and other message boards. Most likely he couldn't care less. 

It's not like Archie feels the Kauffman recruitment is going south so he thinks to start leaking info to make sure the message board and twitter fans can mentally prepare for it. 

I don't mean this as disrespectful to anyone and I love our "insiders" and that they post here, but I think the information that gets shared here is overvalued in terms of what's really happening. Again, I really don't mean this  negatively, I love those guys that post here. But just harkening back to my days with the Celtics, part of my job was to monitor the early days of blogs, fan forums, etc., and we would literally laugh out loud in the office at the stuff "insiders" were sharing as if it was real. 

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you're overrating how much thought Archie puts into any "insiders" and how they get information. It's not like Archie is secretly disseminating all of this info to get messages to HSN, BTB's and other message boards. Most likely he couldn't care less. 

It's not like Archie feels the Kauffman recruitment is going south so he thinks to start leaking info to make sure the message board and twitter fans can mentally prepare for it. 

I don't mean this as disrespectful to anyone and I love our "insiders" and that they post here, but I think the information that gets shared here is overvalued in terms of what's really happening. Again, I really don't mean this  negatively, I love those guys that post here. But just harkening back to my days with the Celtics, part of my job was to monitor the early days of blogs, fan forums, etc., and we would literally laugh out loud in the office at the stuff "insiders" were sharing as if it was real. 

@BGleasdon't go spouting rational statements and solid insight into this...:coffee:

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

He couldn't let anyone go at the time due to the APR or whatever the grade thing is called. Crean had so much turnover, not only did he leave the talent bare, Crean also left the next coach with little to no room to make changes. Then you have IU's transfer rules that are like no other, its hard for a coach to bring in players. With the new NCAA transfer rule starting, i hope IU changes their rules or we are screwed there to.

In hind sight it didn't matter because they couldn't make the tournament with those guys and that culture.  Should have cut bait and reset.  Oh well.  The ship has turned.  

28 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

In hind sight it didn't matter because they couldn't make the tournament with those guys and that culture.  Should have cut bait and reset.  Oh well.  The ship has turned.  

I'm sure the APR part of Archie's contract also played a part.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

When he talked to IU on Wednesday or Thursday, how do you know he wasn't letting Archie of his decision?  Why assume the worst? 

He might have...although I kind of assume that some of the inside info our people get is actually coming from people in the program.  I think if he would have told them it was over, that Peegs, Rabjohns, and a host of others including Story, IU0708, and that Chris guy from Btown Banners probably would have started to hear rumblings that we were out of it before the radio station stuff dropped.

Who knows.  However, it is my firm belief that the IU fanbase is what drives these types of announcements in this state.  I have seen on a few occasions recently where I feel the kids in effect kind of used the IU hype machine to build up their announcement.  I stand by the fact that if this was down to UVA and PU, the radio announcement would probably not have happened because nobody in that area of the state gives a rat's hind end about either program.  It is similar to the Garland thing, they were just honest about it after the fact.

Wesley up north won't have some big thing around him either because nobody in this state cares about Notre Dame basketball.

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He might have...although I kind of assume that some of the inside info our people get is actually coming from people in the program.  I think if he would have told them it was over, that Peegs, Rabjohns, and a host of others including Story, IU0708, and that Chris guy from Btown Banners probably would have started to hear rumblings that we were out of it before the radio station stuff dropped.

Who knows.  However, it is my firm belief that the IU fanbase is what drives these types of announcements in this state.  I have seen on a few occasions recently where I feel the kids in effect kind of used the IU hype machine to build up their announcement.  I stand by the fact that if this was down to UVA and PU, the radio announcement would probably not have happened because nobody in that area of the state gives a rat's hind end about either program.  It is similar to the Garland thing, they were just honest about it after the fact.

Wesley up north won't have some big thing around him either because nobody in this state cares about Notre Dame basketball.

I am sorry but what the Indiana kids do with their announcements are not even close to what kid sin the South does for football.  Also you see the top player sin the ocuntry announcing on national tV so what Kaufmann did was pretty weak compared to most.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Then a few few days later Mile said the winds were blowing towards Bloomington

Miles was just parroting the Purdue insider with winds blowing towards WL..then when CoachSS and Chris from BtownBanners reaffirmed feelings for IU Miles quickly shifted the wind direction back towards Bloomington...he didn't have "info" just was passing along info he was reading/hearing from other boards/posters.

38 minutes ago, iucane said:

Miles was just parroting the Purdue insider with winds blowing towards WL..then when CoachSS and Chris from BtownBanners reaffirmed feelings for IU Miles quickly shifted the wind direction back towards Bloomington...he didn't have "info" just was passing along info he was reading/hearing from other boards/posters.

@milehiiu said it was from his source...I'll take him at his word...

And I think everyone on this board relaxed a bit when they saw posts saying "IU" from both of those sources...I know I did

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

@milehiiu said it was from his source...I'll take him at his word...

And I think everyone on this board relaxed a bit when they saw posts saying "IU" from both of those sources...I know I did

That's the problem with swirling winds.  You never know which direction they are going... nor where they will be when they stop swirling 

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That's the problem with swirling winds.  You never know which direction they are going... nor where they will be when they stop swirling 

I think it’s safe to say at this point that nobody really has much inside info. Brooks and Kaufman were both solidly IU’s according to the insiders until the day before when the real info started to leak. No offense to anybody.

32 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think it’s safe to say at this point that nobody really has much inside info. Brooks and Kaufman were both solidly IU’s according to the insiders until the day before when the real info started to leak. No offense to anybody.

A couple guys have legit info as they have tied close to the program. One shared a text for example. That remains private. It can also be revealing in the way a kid or his family handle the recruitment and what they say. I’m being deliberately vague here. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

A couple guys have legit info as they have tied close to the program. One shared a text for example. That remains private. It can also be revealing in the way a kid or his family handle the recruitment and what they say. I’m being deliberately vague here. 

To me some of the comments that came from Trey made me realize he wasn't coming to IU.  The first one about not being able to make everyone happy with your decision.  The other saying how Pudue probably is best fir for him.

31 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Don’t disagree. A couple have “ties” to the program.  Thus when program “feels” good they think IU.  Need sources close to family/kid to be much more than an educated guess absent the kid having already committed to the coach/team (ie TJD)

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

To me some of the comments that came from Trey made me realize he wasn't coming to IU.  The first one about not being able to make everyone happy with your decision.  The other saying how Pudue probably is best fir for him.

Yep when a kid says he loves the fit for him...or how a team would use him....LISTEN. They all say they have good visits, coaches are great, etc etc....nobody burns bridges. But when a kid lights up when talking about how he will be used and loves the offense or fit or how they put guys like him in the NBA that’s when your ears should perk up.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am sorry but what the Indiana kids do with their announcements are not even close to what kid sin the South does for football.  Also you see the top player sin the ocuntry announcing on national tV so what Kaufmann did was pretty weak compared to most.

Yep, and it is just as lame on their end too.  I agree what Kaufman did was weak sauce. Taping your commitment the night before and letting it slip is amateur hour...a.k.a. Purdue.

Archived