Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yep, and it is just as lame on their end too.  I agree what Kaufman did was weak sauce. Taping your commitment the night before and letting it slip is amateur hour...a.k.a. Purdue.

That's BS.  If it had leaked that he was going to IU and chose IU, you would be puffing your chest out like a peacock about it.  It seems to me you are the one that has an issue.  Silly to get this upset about what a 17 year old kid does or does not do.  This is the type of stuff kids see that makes them not want to come to Indiana.

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That's BS.  If it had leaked that he was going to IU and chose IU, you would be puffing your chest out like a peacock about it.  It seems to me you are the one that has an issue.  Silly to get this upset about what a 17 year old kid does or does not do.  This is the type of stuff kids see that makes them not want to come to Indiana.

Tell Trey good luck. Most Indiana folks wish him well except against us lol. I’m done with this thread. Kid doesn’t get 150 pages and then suddenly he isn’t “that good” and now character is called into question. I’m out before this gets worse!

Just now, dgambill said:

Tell Trey good luck. Most Indiana folks wish him well except against us lol. I’m done with this thread. Kid doesn’t get 150 pages and then suddenly he isn’t “that good” and now character is called into question. I’m out before this gets worse!

I think Trey will prove on the court that he is good enough.  The attempted character assassination is what is really getting me fired up.

I don't think anything posted in this thread since the announcement has been all that bad. 

This was a tough loss for IU, especially being a Southern Indiana kid and losing him to Purdue. 

It's unfortunate for the family how the announcement was bungled Thursday into Friday. They're handling of it wasn't great, but we also have to remember at this stage in Kauffman's career it's not like they're trained in PR or have a team of PR people guiding them. 

The entire way this thing came out Thursday night and the aftermath was just unfortunate. 

25 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

If I remember correctly, Brooks mom complained as well.....

Didn’t UK fans force a ref’s business to close because of threats and negative reviews?

Fans are very similar across teams. People just see the negative when they align with a different team. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't think anything posted in this thread since the announcement has been all that bad. 

This was a tough loss for IU, especially being a Southern Indiana kid and losing him to Purdue. 

It's unfortunate for the family how the announcement was bungled Thursday into Friday. They're handling of it wasn't great, but we also have to remember at this stage in Kauffman's career it's not like they're trained in PR or have a team of PR people guiding them. 

The entire way this thing came out Thursday night and the aftermath was just unfortunate. 

I assume the worst stuff was on other boards. This one seems to be the most rational that I’ve seen. 

I wouldn’t even say the family handled anything poorly. Unless I’m missing something a kid just made a mistake. It happens. 

1 minute ago, BeerBQ said:

Didn’t UK fans force a ref’s business to close because of threats and negative reviews?

Fans are very similar across teams. People just see the negative when they align with a different team. 

This is very true, all fan bases of large programs have a percentage that are vocal in negative ways.  I saw the post, unfortunately about 99% of our fan base had nothing bad to say other than being disappointed we lost a great player.  The vocal minority seemed to catch his great uncles attention.  

19 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I assume the worst stuff was on other boards. This one seems to be the most rational that I’ve seen. 

I wouldn’t even say the family handled anything poorly. Unless I’m missing something a kid just made a mistake. It happens. 

Just from a PR perspective, after the audio was leaked on Thursday night I think things could have been handled better. 

But again, this is a 17 year old kid, so I don't expect them to be overly PR savvy, so I don't fault them or anything. 

I just think claiming the leak was fake, sort of blaming fans/media for it, and then Kauffman's Friday morning IG post about how his image/likeness were taken advantage of and his special project was "devalued" weren't great moves. 

But to reiterate, he's 17 and not supposed to know how to handle these things yet. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just from a PR perspective, after the audio was leaked on Thursday night I think things could have been handled better. 

But again, this is a 17 year old kid, so I don't expect them to be overly PR savvy, so I don't fault them or anything. 

I just think claiming the leak was fake, sort of blaming fans/media for it, and then Kauffman's Friday morning IG post about how his image/likeness were taken advantage of and his special project was "devalued" weren't great moves. 

But to reiterate, he's 17 and not supposed to know how to handle these things yet. 

This all day. 

We all should be able to objectively evaluate/discuss his timeline and critique without going over the top. Disappointed we lost a top 40 talent. At the same time I can also say he (or those around him) needs to calm down on blaming the fans. It's petty and IU fans have always been the easiest out for someone in situations like this. Oh well. I like the Lander approach. #1 PG in the country. I'm coming to IU. All business. 

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

If I remember correctly, Brooks mom complained as well.....

It’s true the fans are over the top, but I don’t think it’s this board based on what I have read. It is amateur hour when you attack a kid and his family. But that’s the world we leave, people can hide behind avatars and usernames and say what they will. As a parent, you have to have some thick skin. I would not read forums etc. if I were them. 

2 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

This thread should’ve been locked already

I agree.  Yeah, this is a fan site to discuss recruits, etc.  But once they don't pick IU, then why keep discussing them.  Nothing good comes of it.  Lock the thread and move on.   😊   JMO.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Nah, this is last I will say about the kid because I literally have zero reason to care about him going forward.  You can look through my history, I don't puff out my chest about landing kids.  I usually say that they are a good get and let's go grab some more.  I have been around long enough to know that these things don't always pan out the way we think. 

However, these announcements are stupid.  Whether it is an Indiana kid picking Indiana or wherever, I won't be participating in this nonsense going forward.  It is a kid throwing a ball through a hoop, the amount of attention given to this stuff is idiotic.

"Well that's the way things are today..."  Cool story, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.  If you cannot see the stupidity of taping a "surprise" school announcement a day in advance to let people know the "surprise" of where you are going, then that's your prerogative.

And the dig at Purdue was just fun with the rivalry.

One last thing, if seeing people react poorly to these dog and pony shows makes the kids feel unwelcome, maybe they should go elsewhere.  You can go to any board of any of the major programs and they all kind of dog the kids that choose to go elsewhere.  What makes kids not want to go to Indiana is the fact that we have been mediocre for most of these teenagers lives.  Nothing more and nothing less.

Edit***  I also did not say anything nasty about the kids character.  He is a teenager doing teenager things.  I am just not a fan of the timelines of these things because he himself says he knew for 2 week where he was going.  Then just announce it and move on.  Nobody can deny that these are nothing but vanity projects.  Also, I would never go on Twitter (do not even have an account) and try to contact or dog any of these kids directly.  Anybody doing that is an asshat as well.  It's just a game.

11 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah, that figures.  No rule for beating a dead horse.  I mean, discussing a dead horse.

These usually die naturally. People lose interest in a kid not coming to IU. This one has some legs because like most threads it had some side track convos but it’s winding down. Not much left to say.

Archived