Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The “some people will be disappointed” comment makes more sense if he picks Purdue. As does the pursuit of the 6’10 kid out of the blue.  Maybe he clicks with Painter and loves the idea of playing with Furst (despite Snow missing badly and overconfidently on that).  Purdue runs a good offense and maybe likes his skill fit there.  

I’m staying even keeled on this.  The alarmists and tea leaf guys love the next week, but the swings over nonsensical gossip is unneeded.  

He’s a nice player and I wish him well but I will sleep like a baby whether we get him or not.  This is is no way, shape, or form a Cody Zeller situation.  

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@Stlboiler23

Out of respect for you, I would not put too much credence into what Mike says.  Trey may pick Purdue, or may not.  But, Mike has about as much information on this as he does when it comes to where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

Appreciate that for sure. A lot of positive Purdue info was shared on our board today which is giving me optimism. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah. Late into the recruitment,Roy flew into Washington.Wound up having breakfast,only to fly back home,empty handed.

I knew Cody was a done deal for IU, the day I was told that his mother accepted a package from IU...filled with IU gear.

My father-in-law owns a business in Washington and he just so happened to come across some good info from close to the Zellers and relayed it to me related to Cody's choice.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah. Late into the recruitment,Roy flew into Washington.Wound up having breakfast,only to fly back home,empty handed.

I knew Cody was a done deal for IU, the day I was told that his mother accepted a package from IU...filled with IU gear.

Does anybody else remember those rumors about Izzo making real inroads with TJD in November. Only for us to learn TJD had already signed his NLI?

7 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

On the one hand, Purdue always made a lot of sense for Kaufman, as I understand he's academically oriented and interested in engineering. On the other hand, it seems odd that he'd end up there after months of focus on IU, UVa, and UNC, with Purdue seemingly being a long shot at best.

He wants to major in Physics. And I’ve said the whole time that PU matters. I think people not as close to him assumed UVA and UNC were bigger threats, but to some of us local guys I think IU and PU were known to be the top picks. And I was the one who told the board that this time last year his HS coach told me directly “Trey really likes Purdue”. So I knew they were not to be ignored. I hope it’s IU, of course and I personally think IU edges PU when you’re laying out the pros/cons. But, I’m not Trey and he knows what’s important to him. 

Given how tight lipped this recruitment has apparently been, I will sit on the hope of smoke and mirrors of this recent Purdue talk.  I will be very disappointed if we swing and miss on a high profile prospect from southern Indiana.  Not a good sign.  I have to admit, I think painter has really improved over the years, and that has me a bit concerned.  But Trey, since you aren’t taking calls, archie’s better!  Be a Hoosier,  let it happen. 

If Kaufman goes to Purdue the state is no longer locked down. That’s the two best players in the 21 class to Purdue and honestly those two are higher ranked then Leal and Galloway. With Gibbs-Lawhorn a Lafayette product and a good shot to pick Purdue too things can change in a hurry.

Tell you what Kaufman goes to Purdue, Miller to Creighton, Hopkins to UK, and Aminu goes elsewhere and it will get real hot on here. That’s how fast things can go south. We shall see.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

If Kaufman goes to Purdue the state is no longer locked down. That’s the two best players in the 21 class to Purdue and honestly those two are higher ranked then Leal and Galloway. With Gibbs-Lawhorn a Lafayette product and a good shot to pick Purdue too things can change in a hurry.

Tell you what Kaufman goes to Purdue, Miller to Creighton, Hopkins to UK, and Aminu goes elsewhere and it will get real hot on here. That’s how fast things can go south. We shall see.

Actually we got the top player from 2021 but he came early

Would he had come if we had to recruit him in 21? Never will know. To me he is a 20 recruit.

just saying the momentum will have swung.

RMK never got 3 Mr basketballs in a row which Archie has done and we got a 5 star PG who would be one of the leading candidates this year if he did not qualiry.  Just relax and even if Trey doesn't come here it is not the end of the world.  After this year will the new rule of letting players come back foir another year and the rule where you can transfer wilthout sitting out will give us plenty of players to choose from.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m not panicking. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

RMK never got 3 Mr basketballs in a row which Archie has done and we got a 5 star PG who would be one of the leading candidates this year if he did not qualiry.  Just relax and even if Trey doesn't come here it is not the end of the world.  After this year will the new rule of letting players come back foir another year and the rule where you can transfer wilthout sitting out will give us plenty of players to choose from.

Just saying you can’t continue to say he is locking down the state if we don’t land a single kid out of the best class of players Indiana has seen in a decade. Not the end of us for sure...but the momentum will have swung. Sure Archie will get on some other kids but it will be tough around here if we miss Kaufman, Furst, Wesley, Goode, Barnhizer, Thomas...out of state Aminu, Patterson, Longino, Miller, Hopkins. Momentum will definitely be broken.

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not panicking. 

Just saying this nice feeling we’ve had around here with Archies recruiting could change like the weather pretty quickly. I’m not panicking either. What’s the worst that can happen. We go from 10th in the B1G to 12th?? We miss the tournament for the next 4 years...we’ve lived through that...we can handle it.

Just saying you can’t continue to say he is locking down the state if we don’t land a single kid out of the best class of players Indiana has seen in a decade. Not the end of us for sure...but the momentum will have swung. Sure Archie will get on some other kids but it will be tough around here if we miss Kaufman, Furst, Wesley, Goode, Barnhizer, Thomas...out of state Aminu, Patterson, Longino, Miller, Hopkins. Momentum will definitely be broken.

If you aren’t counting Lander this crop of 21 talent isn’t overly special 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If you aren’t counting Lander this crop of 21 talent isn’t overly special 

Besides Trey and Furst there is no other players in this class that is very good.  It is obvious PU and IU backed off of Wesley for a reason.  I saw good play on tV once and did not impress me at all.  I think we will get Muhammad but he probably will only be here a year maybe two.  I think if Trey goes to PU then we will be a good shape for Miller.

Just now, dgambill said:

Just saying this nice feeling we’ve had around here with Archies recruiting could change like the weather pretty quickly. I’m not panicking either. What’s the worst that can happen. We go from 10th in the B1G to 12th?? We miss the tournament for the next 4 years...we’ve lived through that...we can handle it.

The bigger issue with Archie is he’s got to win some tough games on a more regular basis.  That is going to decide his future.  It hasn’t happened yet.  So it’s fair to be concerned in that regard.  

You’d like to get another guy with size in 2021 but we are on a number of really nice players in 2022.  

Kaufman is a nice player but if we lose him, so be it.  The earth won’t spin off it’s axis.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The bigger issue with Archie is he’s got to win some tough games on a more regular basis.  That is going to decide his future.  It hasn’t happened yet.  So it’s fair to be concerned in that regard.  

You’d like to get another guy with size in 2021 but we are on a number of really nice players in 2022.  

Kaufman is a nice player but if we lose him, so be it.  The earth won’t spin off it’s axis.  

Yep...at least we got Duncomb but we Could miss out on our all the rest of our top forward prospects in this class.

Archived