Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

1 minute ago, IUrocker said:

Well I knew you would say that, haha... but I don’t disagree with you. I agree that it’s a small sample size of the matchup between them, but I said it showed what we got in Duncomb and what he is able to do. Was just having fun with the owning Furst part.

You know if it was the other way around and Furst dominated Duncomb he would be here gloating all day long.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We have filled the spots, I get it some just want to look at things half empty but that is a terrible way to live.  Archie said many times he don't want to use all 13 scholarships so I don't see a problem.  Again even with a HOF coach in RMKhe didn't get all the top in state players and never got the Mr. Basketball 3 years in a row.  Yes Trey is a very good prospect but he is like a top 40 player and it is not like we would lose a top 10 player.  I hated losing Eric Montross a lot more than if we lose Trey.

Knight might not have needed the talent...but Archie sure does. Lol I’m honestly not all negative. Besides we don’t know 100% yet but this recruiting class is looking pretty precarious with just Duncomb signed and guys like Trayce and Lander likely gone after this year.

So glad my life doesn’t revolve around what a 17-18 year old decides. Lots of drama queens on here, imo.

Iu basketball is bigger than any one individual. IU basketball will continue on .

CAM has moved the needle in the right direction, and as long as he does, he’s gonna be our coach. 

Let this season play out. See where this team goes. Remember that nothing is normal this year.

Five years ago, if you were told that IU would pull in 3 Mr Basketballs and Landers, would you really be on here bitching?

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just Miles saying he had heard from somone that there is a lot of talk about him going to PU. Until I start seeing national guys who has good sources start flipping I am not going to worry about it.  Some people just freak out at the first sight of a problem and just go over board with negativity.   like I said I hope he comes to IU but if not we will move on to another player.

Is Miles a reliable source? 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s more than mile. Purdue rivals guy dropped a pretty big hint today. 

Well good for him and he might go to Purdue and if he does no big deal.  We go and get Miller and Muhammad everything will be OK.  Even if we don't get those two there are still plenty of opportunities to bring in good players.  We have two seniors this year and if they want to come back they will be able to.  also with the new transfer rules there will be plenty of players ut there.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Knight might not have needed the talent...but Archie sure does. Lol I’m honestly not all negative. Besides we don’t know 100% yet but this recruiting class is looking pretty precarious with just Duncomb signed and guys like Trayce and Lander likely gone after this year.

Lander won't leave after this year

It must be miserable to look at everything in a negative light.  Of coarse RMK needed talent to win or are you saying the players on the 76 and 81 teams were not talented.  You don't think the 92 and 93. team couldn't use a 7 foot center like Montross because with him we would have another championship.  I get it you don't like Archie and don't see improvement even though there has improvement.  We could lose out on 1 recruit we were heavily in for and looked like a longtime leader and people go overboard.

I'll believe he's going to Purdue when something more definitive comes out. No offense to anyone but "Insiders" get these things wrong all of the time. 

For discussion sake though if he does go to Purdue it would be pretty disappointing for a variety of reason. It would hurt because he's a southern Indiana kid, because Archie put in so much time, and because IU needs a talent infusion of both TJD and Lander leave and the pickings are shrinking for 2021. 

I'm also waiting for the IU coach that can put some dominant classes together. No, not saying UK or Duke classes, but IU seems to always get one headliner recruit each class and then everyone else is 80-150+ in the rankings. 

I want to see a string of these Ohio State, Michigan State, Louisville classes where we get a Burger Boy and then a 2-3 guys in the 30-50 range to join him. For some reason, IU seems to struggle to recruit guys in that 30-50 range. It's kind of weird. 

I dont mean to make it all about rankings, but that's just the easiest way to describe it. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not true at all. Furst had already proven himself and his ranking reflects that. That AAU game showed that Duncomb was underrated beforehand. 

Furst is a very good player. I’m jealous you got him...and will be really jealous if you do land Kaufman. I’m happy with Duncomb but everyone here would love to have landed Caleb.

Just now, dgambill said:

If he doesn’t then that will raise its own set of questions. #1 pg in his class projects to OAD. He didn’t reclassify to to hang around. He wants to get paid and the sooner the better.

I actually don’t know. But I always interpreted his thinking to be, “I will likely not play four years in college anyway, so I might as well go to IU and play two instead of one.”   I admit you might be right.  But physically I think two years with Marshall makes sense and then he’s still going pro on what would have been his usual one and done year.  That’s been my interpretation.  

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So glad my life doesn’t revolve around what a 17-18 year old decides. Lots of drama queens on here, imo.

Iu basketball is bigger than any one individual. IU basketball will continue on .

CAM has moved the needle in the right direction, and as long as he does, he’s gonna be our coach. 

Let this season play out. See where this team goes. Remember that nothing is normal this year.

Five years ago, if you were told that IU would pull in 3 Mr Basketballs and Landers, would you really be on here bitching?

Amen brother keep on preaching.  I am not going to let a 17 old kids decision on college ruin my day.  IU basketball has been here for many years and will be here long after all of us are gone from this earth.  At IU it is about the name on the front of the jersey and not the back of it.

Just now, IU Scott said:

It must be miserable to look at everything in a negative light.  Of coarse RMK needed talent to win or are you saying the players on the 76 and 81 teams were not talented.  You don't think the 92 and 93. team couldn't use a 7 foot center like Montross because with him we would have another championship.  I get it you don't like Archie and don't see improvement even though there has improvement.  We could lose out on 1 recruit we were heavily in for and looked like a longtime leader and people go overboard.

Scott stop it. I’ve been one of Archies biggest fans on here. I’ve been really positive about our freshman we have this year. But there is nothing positive if we strike out this offseason. It isn’t the end of the world...I’m a 41 year old man so in the grand scope of things it’s all meaningless but you can’t be serious that people shouldn’t be somewhat discouraged how this summer has gone in context of IU basketball....not life overall.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If he doesn’t then that will raise its own set of questions. #1 pg in his class projects to OAD. He didn’t reclassify to to hang around. He wants to get paid and the sooner the better.

He just turned 18 and should be a senior in high school so that argument goes out the door.  I know you like playing devils advocate and argue the other side but your negativity is overboard.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I actually don’t know. But I always interpreted his thinking to be, “I will likely not play four years in college anyway, so I might as well go to IU and play two instead of one.”   I admit you might be right.  But physically I think two years with Marshall makes sense and then he’s still going pro on what would have been his usual one and done year.  That’s been my interpretation.  

I hope so. But top 10 kids and the #1 ranked in their position go more often then stay..we know they won’t be ready physically...none of them not named Zion are ready physically.

Just now, IU Scott said:

He just turned 18 and should be a senior in high school so that argument goes out the door.  I know you like playing devils advocate and argue the other side but your negativity is overboard.

That isn’t negative! We have a OAD quality player...that is awesome! But these kids don’t hang around. He would have a bad year if he is sticking around. Kid is a first rd pick...why would he stay?

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Scott stop it. I’ve been one of Archies biggest fans on here. I’ve been really positive about our freshman we have this year. But there is nothing positive if we strike out this offseason. It isn’t the end of the world...I’m a 41 year old man so in the grand scope of things it’s all meaningless but you can’t be serious that people shouldn’t be somewhat discouraged how this summer has gone in context of IU basketball....not life overall.

I don't see ther angst in losing one player we were in the lead for.  All the other ones you mentioned we recruited but they were long shots to come here.  I am not going to let one recruiting class change anything and it will have to take another class to make me concerned.  I think we have a good shot at Miller if Trey goes to Purdue and think we will get Muhammad a top 15 player.

Also like I said with how this year has gone we will have plenty of oportunities to get transfers or players gaining anotheryear of eligibilty.  I saw where the Ivy league player of the year a 6'10 forward is transferring out of Yale this spring and would go after him.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hope so. But top 10 kids and the #1 ranked in their position go more often then stay..we know they won’t be ready physically...none of them not named Zion are ready physically.

Just put it this way if kids could go straight out of high school do you think he would do it.  Most of the kids who wet straight from high school was bigs or wings and n ot many small point guards.  If he stayed in school this year he wouldn't thought ab out going straight to the NBA so I don't see him going after one year and reclassifying.

Furst is a very good player. I’m jealous you got him...and will be really jealous if you do land Kaufman. I’m happy with Duncomb but everyone here would love to have landed Caleb.

If you put me on the spot, I feel like Duncomb will be the tougher player between him and Furst.  I think it’s under appreciated what a good recruit Duncomb is for us.  I mean in general. While his ranking is whatever, in terms of supply and demand, he’s a very hard type of guy to find.   He’s going to be a no-nonse, tough sum___ as my man Rico would put it.   

If Furst is being sold as a four, and Kaufman as a three, have it.  That’d be a slow front court.  We have heard over and over that Kaufman fancies himself as DeAndre Hunter.  He’s not that type of athlete.  Trey has improved quite a bit as an athlete but I think I he can be a four that moves around and is versatile.  A three at the college level?   I’d put Geronimo on him, and let’s go.  

Steuben’s post is my favorite.  Fine player, would be happy to have him.  But if we lose him, it is what it is.  Let’s get another front court player in here and hit ‘22 and ‘23 hard.  Not having TK may help us land some big fish in 2022 without a logjam at forward.  Meanwhile, Brunk, Hunter, Thompson, and Geronimo can come back for that year, along with Duncomb and likely another recruit.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see ther angst in losing one player we were in the lead for.  All the other ones you mentioned we recrited but they were long shots to come here.  I am not going to let one recriting class change anything and it will have to take another class to make me concderned.  I think we have a good shot at Miller if Trey goes to Purdue and think we iwll get muhammad a top 15 player.

Also like I said with how this year has gone we will have plenty of oportunities to get transfers or players gaining anothe ryear of eligibilty.  I saw where the Ivy league player of the year a 6'10 forward is transferring out of Yale this spring and would go after him.

I hope we land Aminu and Miller. That would be a good offseason. I really do.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I hope we land Aminu and Miller. That would be a good offseason. I really do.

My point is let it play out and see how everything goes before panicking.  Let enjoy this season and hopes everyone stays healthy and have a good season.  We won't know next years toster until probably mid summer becausde it appearsd a lot of kids are waiting until spring to commit.  Also with all the transfers which won't sart until probably May so we iwll have to be patient.

Archived