Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nickel and Reed are in the 22 class so they hav enothing to do with Trey

Uh if we don’t land a forward this class then they sure do. Trying to get offers in early on 22 kids and build up that report because we will have a hole in the roster. It’s not one to one comparison but you can see the urgency from Archie. I think he is scrambling.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like you are a closet purdue fan

Fan of how they play hard and they win the past several years...sure...I’m jealous. I’m tired of losing to them. 

Yeah over 3500 posts and I just figured out this isn’t the Purdue board. Honestly I can give credit where due.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Or just freaking tired of losing to Purdue in every facet of basketball

I hate Purdue as much as anyone but couldn't care less what we have done in the past.  If Purdue cared about that they would have fired Painter since he lost to Davis a lot early on.  If we win the big ten and do better in the tournament we could lose to Purdue every time and I wouldn't care.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Uh if we don’t land a forward this class then they sure do. Trying to get offers in early on 22 kids and build up that report because we will have a hole in the roster. It’s not one to one comparison but you can see the urgency from Archie. I think he is scrambling.

I am saying that we did not just offer them when we thought we were not going to get Trey.  Archie would have offered them even if trey comes to IU.

15 minutes ago, goonaha said:

And yet they lost. They had a good run with the Edwards/Swanigan core, but before then they had a substantial down period after the Hummel/Moore teams. They haven't been this consistent power under Painter they're made out to be.

Substantial? It was only 2 down years. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Im not on the defend everything bandwagon, I promise.  But, don't think he is scrambling.  He just hired a top notch recruiter with new connections.  Different offers will come out of that.

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

See, that's were I have a different perspective.  IU's offense to me is not ugly.  Its a hybrid between pro and motion.  There really has not been a healthy point guard and shooters.  It will look much different this year based on the roster.

Sure, there are reasons and excuses but the fact remains that pretty much every game the team would go though long droughts. Often multiple droughts.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hate Purdue as much as anyone but couldn't care less what we have done in the past.  If Purdue cared about that they would have fired Painter since he lost to Davis a lot early on.  If we win the big ten and do better in the tournament we could lose to Purdue every time and I wouldn't care.

Well if we start doing those things sure.  But we haven’t yet. 

Painter and Davis overlapped exactly one year btw so you can stop saying he lost a lot to Davis. 

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

Sure, there are reasons and excuses but the fact remains that pretty much every game the team would go though long droughts. Often multiple droughts.

I thought our offense got guys good open shots but we just did not shoot well at times.  We have went from 16 to 19 to 20+ wins and our offense and defensive rating has also went up every year.  To me I see the program on an up swing and it will keep going that way.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am saying that we did not just offer them when we thought we were not going to get Trey.  Archie would have offered them even if trey comes to IU.

I’m not sure. I’m mostly still talking about the weird Hopkins recruitment. I mean if we had Trey locked up or even Miller for that matter we would have no room for the kid. 

These aren’t too 50 kids in 2022. They are kids that project similar range to Kaufman and Miller with almost identical skill sets. A combo 3-4 that can step away from the basket. To me it’s a bit early to be giving out scholarships to that level of player if you already have the equivalent set to be on your roster...could be wrong but it’s a red light to me.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What’s our tournament resume look like in that time period?? Not much better...Painter is a good coach. He has a couple transition years here and clearly with what he has coming up...will be back competing for the B1G title.

In the last 5 years, the time period that is most important, Purdue has gone to the NCAA 5 times. Three of those times to the sweet 16 and once to the Elite 8. 

Indiana has not been to the NCAA tourney in the last 4 years.

It's not even close. Winning matters.

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I’ve been on this board for years through multiple variations of the site. I always enjoy back and forth with this board. 

I find it to be odd behavior. But regardless, I was including the two 13 loss seasons/early exits in that down period. They stand out compared to the single digit loss years where you all were in Big Ten contention.

1 minute ago, Sea Turtle said:

In the last 5 years, the time period that is most important, Purdue has gone to the NCAA 5 times. Three of those times to the sweet 16 and once to the Elite 8. 

Considering they weren't going to the NCAAs last year, not sure how this can possibly be correct.

2 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

We would have made it last year

I would have loved to been on the message boards the first few years of Coach K, Bennett, Wright and Belien's first few years at their perspective schools.  Not saying archie will be them but fans just are not willing to wait to see how things play out before freaking out on a coach and his tenure at a school.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

2021 is winding down, if TK does go to Purdue, there would be no one in the Top 10 Indiana rankings going to IU

Enh...the best player in that class reclassed and chose IU.

People get too wrapped up in this stuff.  We all thought the tide had turned when Romeo committed and we all thought the Oladipo/Sheehey class was mediocre.  It is somewhat fun to speculate on where kids go and I would definitely argue that you need higher ranked players more often than not to make noise, but it's one guy.

Also, on Painter, he is Tom Crean without the spotlight.  He is up and down like a roller coaster and he has done some weird kind of things...the main difference is that he is at Purdue and the majority of people just don't care what they are doing.  "But, but Indiana has not faired well the past 10 to 15 years..."  I agree, and the coach of Indiana takes grief about that from all over while Painter, with similar results, is a "good coach".  Ok, whatever...he would have been run out of Bloomington on a rail with his results.  Miller has been "enh" so far IMO, but I am not going to freak or get all concerned about Painter.  "Enh" Archie Miller has still landed more Indiana talent with his "enh" record than Painter has since Miller got here.  The recruits are not a big concern right now, that will take care of itself.  What we see Miller do with the actual players is what matters.

Archived