Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trey made a post on his Instagram that said "It pains me to see that people will lie and use my name and likeness to try and devalue a project that has taken so many people so much time and effort to produce. The REAL #Committed video will be out at 6pm today, and while inconvenient for some, not a second sooner. 

As for Pegram I think he got duped by the fake video this morning. He tweeted about the fake as if it was real and then changed his pick. Other than that I don't know but Trey seems to be frustrated by the whole thing and I don't blame him. 

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Or it's a ruse...

I know a lot of people poo-poo the idea that CAM's birthday is of any relevance, but I do...It would be like rubbing his face in it to me, and Trey just doesn't strike me as that kind of kid...

But he is the kind of kid who would release all this fake info and then rub Painter's face in it?  Seems to me like that would be a pretty crappy thing to do too.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

But he is the kind of kid who would release all this fake info and then rub Painter's face in it?  Seems to me like that would be a pretty crappy thing to do too.

I don't think he released any kind of fake anything. I think a couple of idiots did it as a joke. Will he choose PU? Maybe he will but I don't think it has anything to do with last night at all. 

Assuming that Kaufman does end up selecting Purdue, I am struck by how similar this recruitment will have played out compared to the Keion Brooks recruitment. First, despite the insiders hearing that IU was in great shape and that a commitment was imminent, the announcement ended up slipping for several months. That's not a knock on the insiders at all, just an interesting similarity that some here picked up on, and everyone probably should have paid more heed to. Note to future self: if a heavy IU lean goes months longer without announcing than everyone expected, he probably isn't a heavy IU lean.

More troubling is that this appears to be a second time in which Archie was (for the most part) all in on a recruit who dragged things out, without any safety net should that fall through (Mason Miller strikes me as a different player than Kaufman, and even then is hardly guaranteed at this point). Color me a bit surprised that Archie would -- apparently -- make the same mistake twice. 

It doesn’t sound good for us, but I am holding on to hope given how crazy the past 15 hrs have been.  Either way I feel for this young man and his family with how this has played out.  They have done it all right.  Keep your head up Trey!  And good luck on your decision and hoops career!

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Trey isn't a 3. He's a 4. You arent remembered at Purdue, I'm sorry you just aren't. 

This was a weird recruitment. SC has maybe the best 3A team we've seen... like ever... and now outside of SC fans, no is really going to care. 

Painter is a darn good coach. Again weird recruitment and truthfully glad this is over. 

Curious if you can elaborate on the “you aren’t remembered at Purdue” comment? 

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

I don't think he released any kind of fake anything. I think a couple of idiots did it as a joke. Will he choose PU? Maybe he will but I don't think it has anything to do with last night at all. 

That's fine, I am going to just say that this is all stupid.  The kids get their feelings hurt because they don't get their moment and fans get pissy because, let's face it, there is a ton of showmanship in these announcements these days that are directly related to kind of leading people on.

"But it's a big decision..." yeah it is and it is a decision that is easy to keep people out of.  You don't have to talk to Rabjohns, you don't have to post a Top 5 on Twitter when everyone and their Grandma knows that hell will freeze over before you actually go to Indiana State.  I have no reason to believe that Kauffman and Family are nothing but the salt of the earth, but I find it amusing when stuff like this happens and people get mad.  Dude, you jumped on the bull expecting you could control it.  That's not how this normally works.

He's trying to add intrigue.

Face it, Painter was the lead recruiter from the start in this recruitment, and Archie was not. That makes a difference with kids.

There's a reason we're inquiring about some 6'10" Finnish player. Hopefully we can get Mason Miller instead.

Duncomb, Miller, and Aminu Mohammed would be a hell of a class.

13 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Assuming that Kaufman does end up selecting Purdue, I am struck by how similar this recruitment will have played out compared to the Keion Brooks recruitment. First, despite the insiders hearing that IU was in great shape and that a commitment was imminent, the announcement ended up slipping for several months. That's not a knock on the insiders at all, just an interesting similarity that some here picked up on, and everyone probably should have paid more heed to. Note to future self: if a heavy IU lean goes months longer without announcing than everyone expected, he probably isn't a heavy IU lean.

More troubling is that this appears to be a second time in which Archie was (for the most part) all in on a recruit who dragged things out, without any safety net should that fall through (Mason Miller strikes me as a different player than Kaufman, and even then is hardly guaranteed at this point). Color me a bit surprised that Archie would -- apparently -- make the same mistake twice. 

You've got a point. This is starting to become a bad look for Archie if Trey does indeed pick Purdue. 

13 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Kaufman did not 'drag things out'.  It's been posted numerous times in this thread with a list of players, but top recruits from this state rarely commit before the November signing period of their Senior year.  This includes TJD, Romeo, Zeller, Yogi, Blackmon, etc.  Some lesser in-state recruits do to ensure their spot.  

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Boiler... cmon man. Are we going to compare iconic players at our two universities? There isn't one. 

Not to defend Boiler......I'm bragging on a player from my HS alma mater. He was a great player from Martinsville that later attended that dark university up north......John Wooden.

Archived