Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

10 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

This is true. I attended Purdue (being an IU fan there is fun) and when I tell people where I went to school I'm often asked, "Where's that at?" I live in AZ so I'm outside the B1G footprint.

There’s a pretty big difference in not knowing where a school is versus not knowing what the school is. Purdue has a great reputation for a lot of reasons. Plenty of schools that don’t have the state name in them I’m sure people don’t know where they are. Is it really a big knock if people don’t know Purdue is in between Indy and Chicago?

So did you not root for Purdue at all or only when they played IU?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dbmhoosier said:

This is a lot worse IMO than the Brooks, Garcia, and Garland debacles IMO.  We need to add 2 more impact big men in this class or we're in major trouble next season.

I wouldn't say major trouble since there will be many avenues to get players htis off season.  Some of our seniors can stay another year or can get transfers who won't have to sit out a year.

7 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

Late to the party. So for me and the slow learners out there. Is this what happened? Trey recorded his announcement at the gym to release tonight at 6:00 p.m. Someone idiot heard him recording his choice and began blabbing it out. Then Purdue media picks it up and starts spreading it around the internet even more. Trey's big day is ruined, etc. 

Is that where we are at? 

I've been under the impression that either while they were recording or afterward, his friend who works at the station screwed something up and the interview played on live air. 

So basically I think it’s safe to say this is what happened...Trey FaceTimed with our coaching staff Wednesday (according to CoachSS) and Trey probably found out about Archie’s birthday and wanted to let him know he wasn’t coming there to avoid the whole situation. 

He went to the same location he was going to record his “live” announcement to either pre-record it or maybe his friend wanted to do a practice run for today, and they didn’t realize they were live on the air and people could hear them. 

It would be incredible if he said screw all this I’m going to flip it to IU now but apparently in that leaked audio Trey said he spoke with Painter about 2 weeks ago and didn’t flat out tell him it was Purdue but knew by then he wanted to go there, so I don’t see him changing his mind. 

I would like to say IU gave it there all but I started to worry about this recruitment when Trey said that while IU had been recruiting him the longest, only until Virginia started to really prioritize Trey did Archie assume a bigger role. Sounds like he got too confident and it came back to bite him. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

There’s a pretty big difference in not knowing where a school is versus not knowing what the school is. Purdue has a great reputation for a lot of reasons. Plenty of schools that don’t have the state name in them I’m sure people don’t know where they are. Is it really a big knock if people don’t know Purdue is in between Indy and Chicago?

The Boilermakers need to correct the spelling: Purdue ->  Perdu... as in Les Boilermakers ont perdu leur match face aux Hoosiers... 

Sorry for the "French" joke.

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So did you not root for Purdue at all or only when they played IU?

Re-read the post I responded to. And the people I talk to do know which state Purdue is in, they're not asking for its exact location within Indiana.

No, I don't root for Purdue. I don't hate them but I don't root for them. 

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

Re-read the post I responded to. And the people I talk to do know which state Purdue is in, they're not asking for its exact location within Indiana.

No, I don't root for Purdue. I don't hate them but I don't root for them. 

Fair enough. No idea how you lasted 4 years in WL haha. 

If this plays out the way it looks like it will, I will advocate for taking the best player who wants to be here.  I no longer favor holding a scholarship for a player just because he is in-state.  I was raised with a s#!t or get off the pot philosophy.  You can get on this train if you like, but we are leaving the station and will not look back.  Just months ago, Painter was losing seniors to be and was trashing them publicly on the way out the door.  Now he is the "Big Man Whisperer"?  Sorry I'm not buying.  

Maybe this got out so they can see how many IU fans would sart freaking out and it worked.  Like I said last night I think it is time to stop worrying about recruiting and listening to what sources are saying.  We all on here probably needs to get a better hobby than following recruiting and letting what a 17 year old kid decide effect you.  Should go the norman dale philosphy and my team is th eone on the floor and hwo cares who deosn't want to be here.

1 minute ago, Muddy River said:

If this plays out the way it looks like it will, I will advocate for taking the best player who wants to be here

I've stayed out of this discussion because I'm no expert on recruiting, or TK individually. But I can't get the replay out of my mind where TK states, "Purdue's offense is a better fit for my game". Not exactly a team first kind of comment. And yes, I know it's only one comment out of thousands he's made, but to me, it still lingers....

You didn't hear Lander say anything like that, or Leal, or Romeo. In fact, Lander said that he thought with TJD on the inside that we could dominate the big 10 with the pick and roll. Leal gets it, Galloway gets it.

Not sure TK does.

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Dakich still thinks its IU, but claims to not.know just his best guess

That's so he can trash Archie after Trey officially commits to Purdue.  We all know if Dan had been coach, LeBron James would have played 4 years at IU.  

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That's so he can trash Archie after Trey officially commits to Purdue.  We all know if Dan had been coach, LeBron James would have played 4 years at IU.  

That is the exact reason that he always picks IU to do well in the season.  He wants to say they did not meet my expectation so I will bash them

I would surely re-think my decision to announce my choice to go somewhere else on a day where it’s a coach’s birthday I’m telling no thanks to. Might be a little petty, but do it on Mon instead if that’s the case. JMO. Kid may be a great kid, and maybe we’ll be surprised and there’s a reason he’s doing it today. But as much as I dislike Purdue or UK I wouldn’t slap either coach in the face on their birthday, as much as I dislike them, especially with how much I hear he appreciates the effort all of the coaches put in recruiting him.  Just my take. And I’m normally an “f” your feelings type of guy. 😂

Archived