Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

I‘ve coached TK. I expected his ranking to go up during or after AAU season. He was primed to have a great summer. I can tell you any program that gets him will be lucky and any program that misses out and has to play against him, won’t enjoy it. 

Keep it coming, I’m getting more & more pumped with every post!!!  I had no idea just a few hrs ago that we were on to a Big Fish!  Hope the kid sees the excitement around the program and wants to represent HOOSIER NATION!!!

31 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Most who’ve scouted him have said he’s not real explosive and he could sharpen up his ball-handling. But make no mistake, he’s a legit dude who has a very high ceiling. He has improved his perimeter skills, and has gotten stronger. He’s a very good passer and always has been. He sees the court very well for a big. His instincts are off the charts. And he’s very smart. He’s #1 in his class academically and that translates well on the court. He has had a high basketball IQ from a very young age. He asks more questions than the kids who should be asking the most questions. And he’s never satisfied. That’s just Trey. 

I’ve never had the traits of today’s players but one thing that I did have was basketball IQ!  It’s not something that can be taught and is bigger than pure talent alone that rankings will never catch up to!  I would rather have a 3 star player who has bb IQ over most 4-5 stars who don’t!  

4 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I’ve never had the traits of today’s players but one thing that I did have was basketball instincts!  It’s not something that can be taught and is bigger than pure talent alone that rankings will never catch up to!  I would rather have a 3 star player who has bb IQ over most 4-5 stars who don’t!  

Put it this way, he’s only a Junior and he was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Indiana (only 5th underclassman to ever receive that honor) and he was just named to 1st Team All-State. He’s a special player. 

3 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Put it this way, he’s only a Junior and he was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Indiana (only 5th underclassman to ever receive that honor) and he was just named to 1st Team All-State. He’s a special player. 

My basketball intellect says I hope CAM and staff can secure this commitment before the big guns come calling.  To be named the GPOTY as a JR in this State is a High Honor and not sure what’s keeping the Dukes or KY’s of the World from offering?  Hopefully, TK sees the program that is being built right in his home state & silences the urge to follow the dark side!  

47 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Looking really good for him and another recruit.

With all I’ve read about TK, will he commit to CAM before his dream schools of Duke & KY come calling?  Sounds like we were somewhat lucky he didn’t get a chance to showcase his talents or he would be a hard get?

3 hours ago, psychobat said:

Here’s my theory on all the Duke insiders.  Maybe, just maybe, the rumor that TK is seeking a Duke offer truly has some legs.  Maybe the Duke insiders know that is not going to happen and that TK is a heavy IU lean if Duke doesn’t get involved.  What say you Hoosier fans?

Here’s my theory on ALL Duke Insiders & Coach K Staff in General!  The Borders of Indiana Are CLOSED to ALL Out Of State Douche Bags who try to Steal our Talent!  This list includes Coach K, Cal, Cry Baby IZZO, Cheater Roy Williams and any other program leaning on Indiana Talent!  

#itsmillertimeinbtown

7 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

With all I’ve read about TK, will he commit to CAM before his dream schools of Duke & KY come calling?  Sounds like we were somewhat lucky he didn’t get a chance to showcase his talents or he would be a hard get?

Couple things. Duke and UK are not his dream schools. If anything, he grew up a UofL fan. And pretty much every program knows who TK is and have for awhile. He played AAU last year and is a well-known commodity. He’s had visits this year from UNC, Virginia, UK, etc. These are visits from those programs to his high school to watch him workout and/or attended his HS games. Programs like UNC and Virginia are basically asking him to wait and give them a chance to have him on campus before he commits anywhere. IU, Purdue, Louisville, and Xavier are working him hard. UK has been kicking the tires all year. Most feel he won’t go far from home, but we’ll see what happens. 

Looked on Purdue, UL, and UK boards to see if there was any intel on Trey recently but no one is really mentioning his name at all.

Did see a UK blog say that Corey Evans switched his prediction from Purdue to IU about a month ago. 

My gut tells me this plays out like TJD- I know Mike Pegram from 247sports during his recruitment mentioned a lot of blue blood schools never offered Trayce because they felt it was a waste of time with how much ground they would have to make up for in comparison to IU. 

14 hours ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Most who’ve scouted him have said he’s not real explosive and he could sharpen up his ball-handling. But make no mistake, he’s a legit dude who has a very high ceiling. He has improved his perimeter skills, and has gotten stronger. He’s a very good passer and always has been. He sees the court very well for a big. His instincts are off the charts. And he’s very smart. He’s #1 in his class academically and that translates well on the court. He has had a high basketball IQ from a very young age. He asks more questions than the kids who should be asking the most questions. And he’s never satisfied. That’s just Trey. 

Is Perry Hunter still on the Silver Creek staff? As good as a guy you will ever find. 

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Is Perry Hunter still on the Silver Creek staff? As good as a guy you will ever find. 

He was during the sectionals, so unless things changed while the world has stalled because of Covid-19, then......Yes, he is still on the staff.

6 hours ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Couple things. Duke and UK are not his dream schools. If anything, he grew up a UofL fan. And pretty much every program knows who TK is and have for awhile. He played AAU last year and is a well-known commodity. He’s had visits this year from UNC, Virginia, UK, etc. These are visits from those programs to his high school to watch him workout and/or attended his HS games. Programs like UNC and Virginia are basically asking him to wait and give them a chance to have him on campus before he commits anywhere. IU, Purdue, Louisville, and Xavier are working him hard. UK has been kicking the tires all year. Most feel he won’t go far from home, but we’ll see what happens. 

How are his strength, agility and foot speed on defense?  What type of player can he cover?  I’ve heard concerns from recruiting commentators.  Whether they are well founded or not, I couldn’t tell you.  

How would you compare him to Christian Watford?  CW was rated a tad higher.  

I appreciate your first-hand accounts and input.  

16 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

I agree he will be a good get. Curious being his coach, what’s the best and worst quality of Kaufman’s game in your mind?

Just my opinion but he reminds me of a cross between Alan Henderson and Trey Lyles. They may have been higher rated recruits but he has similarities in his skills and over all athleticism to both. I think this kid will see a huge leap improvement every year he is in college...can’t imagine how good he would be if he spends 4 years. All-American possibilities for sure if he keeps trending the way he is going!

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

That would be huge. Give us all the time in the world to swing for the fences on another 21 recruit while hitting 22 hard

Bingo. I was a Crean fan for a lot of different reasons other than hoops....but it is very, very refreshing to have what feels like total command/control of the recruiting process. If we can secure our 21 core....add one more (if these other two do happen) and just start focusing on 22 (offers earlier this week). Feels very good right now. Just a matter of time for on the court results.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Bingo. I was a Crean fan for a lot of different reasons other than hoops....but it is very, very refreshing to have what feels like total command/control of the recruiting process. If we can secure our 21 core....add one more (if these other two do happen) and just start focusing on 22 (offers earlier this week). Feels very good right now. Just a matter of time for on the court results.

Landing Trey would be doubly huge because most of the 20-21 classes have played some together already and seem to mesh well. That teamwork has to translate to IU I feel. Familiarity of how people play and where they like to get the ball etc has to reap some benefits...synergy if you will. These guys will be the guys that turns this program from a tournament also ran to a tournament contender. Kid is a big domino imo. We have been putting the foundation together on the recruiting trail for the past several years with first Romeo and Rob and then Trayce and Armaan, and now Galloway/Leal/Lander and hopefully Trey!

Then throw in a wildcard like Geronimo and maybe Aminu and you might have something special building!

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

How are his strength, agility and foot speed on defense?  What type of player can he cover?  I’ve heard concerns from recruiting commentators.  Whether they are well founded or not, I couldn’t tell you.  

How would you compare him to Christian Watford?  CW was rated a tad higher.  

I appreciate your first-hand accounts and input.  

Trey is strong. He’s developed his upper body and his lower body has always been stronger than most. When he was in middle school, he was like a baby deer, kind of awkward when he ran. But once he grew into his body, he’s improved his speed and agility. Does he have elite speed?  No. But he’s quick and strong enough and he knows how to work gaps and angles. IMO, he can cover the 3-5 spots on the floor, defensively. 

I didn’t see a ton of CWat in HS, just clips. But have spoken to people who’ve scouted both players at the HS level and I’ve heard different opinions. I’ve heard some say CWat has more lateral quickness and “bounce”. I have to disagree with that assessment. TK is not a TJD in terms of pogo stick bounce off the floor, but he’s pretty athletic and smart enough to know when to jump and where to jump, if that makes sense. I mean, I’ve seen TK do a euro step and jump off his weak side foot awkwardly and dunk it with ease. He’s no slouch, athletically. I think CWat was the more consistent perimeter shooter at the same stage, but Trey can score from all 3 levels. That’s definitely something he’s improved since his freshman year. 

31 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Trey is strong. He’s developed his upper body and his lower body has always been stronger than most. When he was in middle school, he was like a baby deer, kind of awkward when he ran. But once he grew into his body, he’s improved his speed and agility. Does he have elite speed?  No. But he’s quick and strong enough and he knows how to work gaps and angles. IMO, he can cover the 3-5 spots on the floor, defensively. 

I didn’t see a ton of CWat in HS, just clips. But have spoken to people who’ve scouted both players at the HS level and I’ve heard different opinions. I’ve heard some say CWat has more lateral quickness and “bounce”. I have to disagree with that assessment. TK is not a TJD in terms of pogo stick bounce off the floor, but he’s pretty athletic and smart enough to know when to jump and where to jump, if that makes sense. I mean, I’ve seen TK do a euro step and jump off his weak side foot awkwardly and dunk it with ease. He’s no slouch, athletically. I think CWat was the more consistent perimeter shooter at the same stage, but Trey can score from all 3 levels. That’s definitely something he’s improved since his freshman year. 

Interesting.  I’ve always thought of TK as just below elite level athletically.  Don’t care either way, I want basketball players that no how to play before athletes that have to learn to play.  Don’t get me wrong you need a little mix of both but it’s easier to coach a basketball player than an athlete

41 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Interesting.  I’ve always thought of TK as just below elite level athletically.  Don’t care either way, I want basketball players that no how to play before athletes that have to learn to play.  Don’t get me wrong you need a little mix of both but it’s easier to coach a basketball player than an athlete

Yeah, I wasn’t saying he was an elite athlete. Didn’t think my post would come off that way. Lol

Archived