Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He’s obviously got the complete package.  Seeing him ranked like 80th or whatever is pure comedy gold.  For the nerds who obsess over recruiting rankings, look at that clip which is much more meaningful than what some dork computes as a ranking.  It’s Lander and Kaufman at the top in-state.  

Tremendous footwork for a high school junior.

Agreed.  I saw craftiness with the ball.  He could change speeds and keep the defender off balance.  He played with the ball high and played tall.  You could see the triple threat ability to (a) go up with the ball near the rim against length, (b) drive the ball, and (c) square up with range.  

Lander has blinding speed.  Between the two of them, they look like the big two impact players in 2021.  

After that, Koniezky may surprise people after he matures physically.  Then you have Furst who is a rugged kid who should be a really solid four year player in time.  Wesley looks like he’s got nice length and the ability to create and shoot.  

Goode is a nice B1G prospect too.  I doubt he goes to IU or PU unless a scholly pops free.  The numbers at IU and Purdue look tough for him.  Iowa may make sense where he could become a menace.  He’s got good height at 6’5 as a jump shooter.  There’s only so many scholarships though.  

Since these guys are juniors, all kinds of improvement is possible.  But it’s hard to envision Lander and Kaufman not being the big two in the state just on physical prowess and talent alone.  

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Kaufman’s ability to create off the dribble and face up and shoot. This is what we expect from Justin Smith. Would make a beautiful stretch 4. He looked a lot more in balance then previous videos. Lander/Kaufman...dynamic duo!

i'm sure smith could do this all day, one-on-one, against half-hearted defense

16 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He’s obviously got the complete package.  Seeing him ranked like 80th or whatever is pure comedy gold.  For the nerds who obsess over recruiting rankings, look at that clip which is much more meaningful than what some dork computes as a ranking.  It’s Lander and Kaufman at the top in-state.  

Can you or anyone explain why the difference in rankings? He looks pretty good to me just via the eye test. Seems whichever site has him at 88 needs to check who they employ to evaluate players.

I'm wondering if TJD & Brunk's "lack of defense" in the clip was a setup for TK to make him feel good, or is TK better than some think? I saw TJD & Brunk get faked out so easy, I think I could have faked them out. (ok... that might be a stretch)

Kid sure looks impressive in the AH clip, as well as the clips above. And based on comments from his coach, he has a tremendous work ethic, and is a good kid too. Fills in my checklist pretty well...

Just now, DWB said:

I'm wondering if TJD & Brunk's "lack of defense" in the clip was a setup for TK to make him feel good, or is TK better than some think? I saw TJD & Brunk get faked out so easy, I think I could have faked them out. (ok... that might be a stretch)

Kid sure looks impressive in the AH clip, as well as the clips above. And based on comments from his coach, he has a tremendous work ethic, and is a good kid too. Fills in my checklist pretty well...

Hits all the buttons for me too. Get him and Lander in 21 and our core is set up for years while also being known as a program who is 1 or 2 and done friendly to the league for the likes of Lander or TJD or whoever. We all need the wins on the court but the wins off the court have to be secured first. Archie is doing just that. Honestly haven't felt this good about IU and IU recruiting since 2011/12.  

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can you or anyone explain why the difference in rankings? He looks pretty good to me just via the eye test. Seems whichever site has him at 88 needs to check who they employ to evaluate players.

I wish I could other than maybe he wasn’t seen enough.  

8 minutes ago, DWB said:

They looked tired. Maybe they’d been playing for hours. Brunk did put it on him in a couple of the later plays.  Regardless, I was looking at his skill set and potential.  For example, Brunk is a big who had his hands up and Trey scored up above him. On the drive, you can see the change in speeds, which for his height and size at a young age isn’t super common. In college, he may not be able to drive on a quick 6’5 guy but he will score up over him all day.  A big guy may not be able to handle him on the move.  I’m not saying he’s perfect as there other good players but I am saying I like his skill set and ability to translate. 

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

A big guy may not be able to handle him on the move.  I’m not saying he’s perfect as there other good players but I am saying I like his skill set and ability to translate. 

Totally agree. Didn't mean to sound like I didn't like TK abilities. I do...a LOT!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

. Seems whichever site has him at 88 needs to check who they employ to evaluate players.

To me, it's obvious that Rivals isn't really following what is going on with Trey.  He's had offers from Louisville and Cincinnati for several weeks, and Rivals doesn't yet have those schools listed on his page yet.  It's not like those two schools are no names either.  Those are two high profile programs. 

I wonder if part of it is he received early offers from Evansville and Indiana State,  When those names appear on your recruiting page, someone not paying attention might be making assumptions that are no longer valid.  With Virginia, Notre Dame, and Michigan apparently starting to show interest, maybe they will take a second look.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To me, it's obvious that Rivals isn't really following what is going on with Trey.  He's had offers from Louisville and Cincinnati for several weeks, and Rivals doesn't yet have those schools listed on his page yet.  It's not like those two schools are no names either.  Those are two high profile programs. 

I wonder if part of it is he received early offers from Evansville and Indiana State,  When those names appear on your recruiting page, someone not paying attention might be making assumptions that are no longer valid.  With Virginia, Notre Dame, and Michigan apparently starting to show interest, maybe they will take a second look.  

That all makes sense to me...especially the offers from lower named schools that maybe the national guys just think he's not good. To me he looks every bit of the part of a top 50 guy with chance to improve. 

Here are some other things to keep in mind when evaluating Trey.

• He's starting to grow into his body.  This happens a lot with big guys, and Trey is showing the work ethic to make it happen.  Not all players have that.
  • He was injured and missed several games at the start of his freshman season.  That team was experienced, and playing time was at a premium.
  • Last year, in his sophomore season, he played on a team that also featured 3 senior starters, all of whom are playing college basketball, a fellow sophomore who already has several D1 offers, and a freshman who has already landed a D1 offer.  In other words, there was no need for him to be the 'alpha' as there often is with high level prospects. 
  • He played much of the second half of last season with 2 different strains of the flu, at the end of the season had mono, and was injured during the early part of the AAU season.

Archived