Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

To me, it's obvious that Rivals isn't really following what is going on with Trey.  He's had offers from Louisville and Cincinnati for several weeks, and Rivals doesn't yet have those schools listed on his page yet.  It's not like those two schools are no names either.  Those are two high profile programs. 

I wonder if part of it is he received early offers from Evansville and Indiana State,  When those names appear on your recruiting page, someone not paying attention might be making assumptions that are no longer valid.  With Virginia, Notre Dame, and Michigan apparently starting to show interest, maybe they will take a second look.  

You see that often. I'd say a majority of analyst don't have a clue what translates to college basketball and what doesn't. They watch who is on the sidelines and who is offering. You see a kid get a blue blood offer suddenly they jump up in the rankings. Combine that with the kid being sick and injured a good portion of the year he will only keep rising as his play on the floor becomes more evident and teams take more notice. I don't think his big program offers are going to slow down either. If he doesn't commit early I think you will see schools like UNC and Kansas get involved before it's all said and done.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Here are some other things to keep in mind when evaluating Trey.

• He's starting to grow into his body.  This happens a lot with big guys, and Trey is showing the work ethic to make it happen.  Not all players have that.
  • He was injured and missed several games at the start of his freshman season.  That team was experienced, and playing time was at a premium.
  • Last year, in his sophomore season, he played on a team that also featured 3 senior starters, all of whom are playing college basketball, a fellow sophomore who already has several D1 offers, and a freshman who has already landed a D1 offer.  In other words, there was no need for him to be the 'alpha' as there often is with high level prospects. 
  • He played much of the second half of last season with 2 different strains of the flu, at the end of the season had mono, and was injured during the early part of the AAU season.

Think about 2-4.

Then consider the kid is still 80th.

Yeah, we need this kid.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

To clarify, Rivals has him down in the 80's, but 247 has him at 29.  

Theory still holds, if not even more so. Generally, kids that aren't the focal point in HS and don't stand out in AAU aren't highly ranked. Trey is up however high he is despite the injury/illness/depth issues. That says something.

I think we are seeing why Trey has been a priority for Archie. Kid is shooting up the rankings and if you watch his game you can see he has enormous potential. I know we need a 5 so we have been all targeting Furst but I don't think Furst wants to play the 5. So if I have to choose between the two at the 4...Furst is talented and stronger in the post but Trey's game from 10 feet and out is the separator between the two. He just has more tools in his tool belt. I appreciate Archie enough to know he will recognize the pieces he needs to get this team winning games and if he is leaning towards Trey..it's because he fits what Archie needs for this team.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just saw on twitter that Stanford was in town yesterday to watch Trey. I've had enough Stanford talk. Between Leal, TK.....and of course all the Andrew Luck stuff I've hit my quota on hearing about Stanford for the year. 

Trey is from a family of educators and is a top student as well.  Not surprising that he is getting looks from schools like Stanford and Virginia.

7 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Does commenting on posts about threads going off topic make the thread get more off topic and longer or bring it back to topic?

Idk but 3 days of posts on the Dawson Garcia thread this past weekend about Crean and Purdue was surely off topic. Ones you seemed to participate in.

18 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

Idk but 3 days of posts on the Dawson Garcia thread this past weekend about Crean and Purdue was surely off topic. Ones you seemed to participate in.

I participate in many most some on topic some not. Sorry I dont remember them all but I am pretty sure your right. But you did not answer the question 

6 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

It's not offseason anymore.

We haven’t even had HH yet...I know the guys are working hard but to me the season doesn’t start until the football team is eliminated from a bowl game lol. Given this year I may have to rethink that if we can pull out this game at MSU.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

UK assistant visited Trey during workout.  Will take unofficial visit to Lexington for Big Blue Madness.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/10/3/20897356/uk-basketball-trey-kaufman-big-blue-madness-indiana-hoosiers-recruiting

He's going to do this with almost every instate recruit that we badly want.  Expect him to put the full court press on Lander soon.  I'm sure Daddy will be promised that he's the next John Wall, Brandon Knight, Marques Teague, etc.  This is not surprising.

Archived