Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

30 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I assume you bring your coach to ask how they see you transitioning into this system. 

Or you want to butter them up for the next recruit they have and the next. Gotta stay in good with these coaches around the state...can't say how important their opinions matter to young kids.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Or you want to butter them up for the next recruit they have and the next. Gotta stay in good with these coaches around the state...can't say how important their opinions matter to young kids.

Yes.  Apparently Coach Miller has yet to piss off Indiana high school basketball head coaches. ( semi sarcastic, but true. based on recent history )

Would love to be a fly on the wall inside Kaufman's head about now.

"How could you NOT want to be part of this excitement, and be a major part of the team"?

Then there is the beauty of the campus, close to home, and a really good education to boot. Not to mention the female persuasion.

49 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

If you are a forward type of player you have to see that IU values that skillset and runs through it.  

What I saw of Kaufman at the HOF tournament was that he was a very capable outside shooter so he could play the role that Smith is playing this year.

12 hours ago, JcityHoosier said:

Silver Creek beat Jeff and New Albany in the same season....wonder the last time that happened 

Not in the last 30 years.  Assuming no injuries or transfers, it could very well happen again next year.  Silver Creek only loses their 8th man in the rotation.  Jeff is losing Coleman, Jones, and Starks.  New Albany is losing Hunter and Hourigan.

Hunter looked really good last night by the way.  Nice to seem him healthy after a couple of serious injuries.  Tucker Biven for New Albany is going to a good one as well.  Now that they are full strength, New Albany will give Jeff and Floyd Central everything they want in Sectional.

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not in the last 30 years.  Assuming no injuries or transfers, it could very well happen again next year.  Silver Creek only loses their 8th man in the rotation.  Jeff is losing Coleman, Jones, and Starks.  New Albany is losing Hunter and Hourigan.

Hunter looked really good last night by the way.  Nice to seem him healthy after a couple of serious injuries.  Tucker Biven for New Albany is going to a good one as well.  Now that they are full strength, New Albany will give Jeff and Floyd Central everything they want in Sectional.

My dad was asking, if silver creek wins state again do they jump class next year?

@btownqb feel free to chime in.

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

My dad was asking, if silver creek wins state again do they jump class next year?

They do not.  Every two years there is reclassification and that is when teams are moved up for success.  Last season was the end of the reclassification period, and this year is Year 1 of the new period.  As a result, this year will be paired with next season, not last season.  That said, Silver Creek only has one senior (the 8th man in the rotation).  If they make a deep run this year, they will be heavily favored to win state next season.  So, it's very possibly they will get bumped to 4a AFTER Kaufman and Jacobi graduate.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

They do not.  Every two years there is reclassification and that is when teams are moved up for success.  Last season was the end of the reclassification period, and this year is Year 1 of the new period.  As a result, this year will be paired with next season, not last season.  That said, Silver Creek only has one senior (the 8th man in the rotation).  If they make a deep run this year, they will be heavily favored to win state next season.  So, it's very possibly they will get bumped to 4a AFTER Kaufman and Jacobi graduate.  

Good ole ihsaa.  They do realize kids graduate right?  An attempt to l8mit the Catholic recruiting schools winning all the time comes back to bite the public schools.   Who woulda thunk?

The way the success factor works, it is 6 'points' in a 2 year classification period.

State Championship = 4 points

Semistate Championship = 3 points

Regional Championship = 2 points

Sectional Championship = 1 point

So, let's say Silver Creek only wins Regional this season, but wins State next year.  They would move up (2+4).  Or, if they went to State two years in a row, but lose both times, they would move up (3+3).  That actually happened to the North Harrison Girls a few years ago.

Once you are reclassed, it only takes 2 points to stay n the higher class.  So, for instance, let's say Silver Creek gets moved up after Kaufman And Jacobi graduate.  If they somehow won 2 straight 4A Sectionals, or just one Regional, while in 4A  they would have to stay in 4A for two more years.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

No. Last year was basically a free year because of it being the 2nd year of the 2 year cycle. 

This year is the first year of the new 2 year cycle. 

If they accumulate 6pts the next two years, they will move up. Regional=2, Semi=3, State=4. 

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I still favor a single class championship with a Christmas/new year holiday all class tournament. That way you have a class champion and then at the end of the year a true state champion. Jmo.

In today's basketball environment, 95% of the time or more, the 4A Champion would beat any of the other 3 Champions anyway.  So, if someone is looking for 'one true champion' you essentially already have that.  

Class basketball is more equitable than a single class.  It's not perfect.  It sucks when you are in the bottom 10% size wise of the class (especially 4A), travel at State Tournament time is increased, etc.  But, it creates opportunity to do something memorable that wouldn't be there otherwise.  Single class sports such as track, cross country, tennis, and golf provide individuals with talent to still win a state championship.  But, you could be far and away the best basketball, football, volleyball, or baseball player in the state, but if you are at a small school, you're not going to be able to single-handily carry a whole team to a single class state championship in today's day and age.

For those who say Purdue or Louisville is in the lead for Kaufman...let me ask this. How many games has he attended, or visits on his own dime, has he had at these other schools? I live 6 miles from his school and can't say I'm an insider...but, I'm plugged in and know some people and all that I hear is IU. Been that way for awhile now.

9 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

For those who say Purdue or Louisville is in the lead for Kaufman...let me ask this. How many games has he attended, or visits on his own dime, has he had at these other schools? I live 6 miles from his school and can't say I'm an insider...but, I'm plugged in and know some people and all that I hear is IU. Been that way for awhile now.

I was surprised that Chris Mack was not at the Silver Creek vs. New Albany game Friday night.  Louisville had an early home game on Saturday, so he obviously wasn't going to stray too far from town.  I know he came to a game earlier in the season, but it was not against a program of New Albany's caliber.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I was surprised that Chris Mack was not at the Silver Creek vs. New Albany game Friday night.  Louisville had an early home game on Saturday, so he obviously wasn't going to stray too far from town.  I know he came to a game earlier in the season, but it was not against a program of New Albany's caliber.  

Louisville in a need for a PG as bad as we are.

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

JMO, most of the people advocating for single class basketball are attached to 4A schools. No one at Barr Reeve wants single class ball.

I went to a 2A school Knightstown and we won the New Castle sectional once in 35 years and still prefer the one class system.  We went to the semi state in 2A in 2005 and it was a great run and wouldn't happened of their was 1 class.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I went to a 2A school Knightstown and we won the New Castle sectional once in 35 years and still prefer the one class system.  We went to the semi state in 2A in 2005 and it was a great run and wouldn't happened of their was 1 class.

You've been the exception to many rules here, Scott.  I'd venture to guess that even at Knightstown you'd be in a significant minority.  As I said earlier, NOBODY at Barr-Reeve wants single class basketball and in fact, I don't hear anyone at Washington, North Daviess or Loogootee asking for it either.  Those are the four programs I'm closest to and none of them are 4A schools.  If you conducted a poll among those four schools, I doubt a single class tournament replacing class basketball would get 10% of the popular vote.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You've been the exception to many rules here, Scott.  I'd venture to guess that even at Knightstown you'd be in a significant minority.  As I said earlier, NOBODY at Barr-Reeve wants single class basketball and in fact, I don't hear anyone at Washington, North Daviess or Loogootee asking for it either.  Those are the four programs I'm closest to and none of them are 4A schools.  If you conducted a poll among those four schools, I doubt a single class tournament replacing class basketball would get 10% of the popular vote.

I am just saying as a fan of the game of basketball I liked the single class system better.  No doubt it is better for the smaller schools but to me I have never been the person who thinks everyone should get a trophy.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am just saying as a fan of the game of basketball I liked the single class system better.  No doubt it is better for the smaller schools but to me I have never been the person who thinks everyone should get a trophy.

Look at it this way...If we were talking a wrestling mat, would you think it appropriate for the 98-pound flyweight to be paired with the other team's 220 pound heavyweight?

Archived