Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Look at it this way...If we were talking a wrestling mat, would you think it appropriate for the 98-pound flyweight to be paired with the other team's 220 pound heavyweight?

not the same thing because basketball players come in all sizes and don't just come down to how big you are.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am just saying as a fan of the game of basketball I liked the single class system better.  No doubt it is better for the smaller schools but to me I have never been the person who thinks everyone should get a trophy.

So, should their not be DII, DIII, or NAIA tournaments in college?  

Should we get rid of championship series in minor league baseball.

Why stop at the Indiana borders.  Before we hand out trophies, shouldn't we prove the Indiana champion could beat the best high school basketball teams from the other 49 states, Puerto Rico, and Guam?

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, should their not be DII, DIII, or NAIA tournaments in college?  

Should we get rid of championship series in minor league baseball.

Why stop at the Indiana borders.  Before we hand out trophies, shouldn't we prove the Indiana champion could beat the best high school basketball teams from the other 49 states, Puerto Rico, and Guam?

Love to have the last one.  I get it most like the class system and I don't mid it but prefer one class.  I had a great time during Knightstown 3 year run of winning 3 straight sectionals and one regional.  The atmosphere was great in the gyms and I know it was great for the community.

Just now, IU Scott said:

not the same thing

We disagree then.  I see a lot of similarity.  On occasion, a really good wrestler can wrestle up 2-3 weight classes successfully, but the more size disparity you have, the greater the talent differential needed to overcome it.  Class basketball is very similar in that respect.  Small schools need great talent to overcome the law of large numbers that would apply to the Lawrence Norths of the world.  

I get that the charm of a single class tournament was a uniquely Indiana thing and it's been hard to let go of, but I can tell you emphatically that now that they have tasted success, successful small schools like Barr-Reeve, they want nothing to do with having to compete with schools of several thousand students.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I can see it in football because players size has more of an influence on the game.

Scott,

It's a fact that 4A super-schools dominate that basketball tournament like it is.  A school under 1,700 students would have zero chance at winning a single class basketball tournament.  And, 1,700 only captures the top half of 4A.  In a single class system, you're essentially excluding 7/8ths of the schools in the entire state from ever having a chance at a championship.  

That is not a healthy formula for long term interest in the sport.

I would encourage you to ask any player on a 1A or 2A champion since Indiana went to class basketball a question.  As them would they rather have the 1A or 2A state title or a fluke sectional championship that may come every 10-15 years against bigger schools with the understanding that they would be soundly beat in the Regional.

You know what percentage of the players would pick the fluke sectional and regional loss over the State Championship?  My guess is less than 1%.  

Times change and sports have to adapt to survive.  What worked for Milan in 1954 has zero chance of working today..  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Scott,

It's a fact that 4A super-schools dominate that basketball tournament like it is.  A school under 1,700 students would have zero chance at winning a single class basketball tournament.  And, 1,700 only captures the top half of 4A.  In a single class system, you're essentially excluding 7/8ths of the schools in the entire state from ever having a chance at a championship.  

That is not a healthy formula for long term interest in the sport.

I would encourage you to ask any player on a 1A or 2A champion since Indiana went to class basketball a question.  As them would they rather have the 1A or 2A state title or a fluke sectional championship that may come every 10-15 years against bigger schools with the understanding that they would be soundly beat in the Regional.

You know what percentage of the players would pick the fluke sectional and regional loss over the State Championship?  My guess is less than 1%.  

Times change and sports have to adapt to survive.  What worked for Milan in 1954 has zero chance of working today..  

Again I understand it and know it will never changed but just stating my preference.  Even though I came from a small school where we played in a sectional dominated by New Castle I just loved going to the sectional for all sessions and not just my teams.  When we finally won that sectional in 87 my sophomore year our school pretty much shut down for the week after the sectional.  We had very little class that week and we had a lot of pep sessions and just going to the gym for some fun.

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And now, 4x as many students have memories like that.

Wow I am sorry that my preference for the one class system upsets people so much.  I am just telling you what I prefer and not trying to make anyone change their mind.  Like I said to me class basketball just makes it appear to me and my opinion only that is  trying to get everyone a trophy.  Like in little league a team that finishes last a gets a trophy just doesn't seem right to me because later in life they will think everything will be given to them.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wow I am sorry that my preference for the one class system upsets people so much.  I am just telling you what I prefer and not trying to make anyone change their mind.  Like I said to me class basketball just makes it appear to me and my opinion only that is  trying to get everyone a trophy.  Like in little league a team that finishes last a gets a trophy just doesn't seem right to me because later in life they will think everything will be given to them.

That's a little over the.top exaggeration. Of the 400 teams 4 will get a state championship.  Only 64 a sectional title. Hardly a participation trophy

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's a little over the.top exaggeration. Of the 400 teams 4 will get a state championship.  Only 64 a sectional title. Hardly a participation trophy

Everyone has there own opinion.  to me today with consolidation it should be easier for smaller schools to compete with the bigger guys.  Take Shenandoah in Henry county and it is near Anderson and they have been very good in all sports the last few years.  They get a lot of kids who use to go to the Anderson schools or even east side of Indy so they are getting more kids who are good.  even my small school has had two or guys transfer in from New Castle and they have been some of our better players.  I know it will not change and said I really enjoyed our run to the semi state in 2005.

My last thing on this topic.  It is like the question that gets asked in March, would you rather make the NCAA tournament and lose in the first round or win the NIT and my answer is always making the tournament.  To me making the tournament is like winning the sectional in the on class system and winning the state in class basketball is like winning the NIT.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

My last thing on this topic.  It is like the question that gets asked in March, would you rather make the NCAA tournament and lose in the first round or win the NIT and my answer is always making the tournament.  To me making the tournament is like winning the sectional in the on class system and winning the state in class basketball is like winning the NIT.

Bad comp...my friend.

Just now, rico said:

Naw, you just don't notice that I agree with you very often.  1 class system in basketball is something I miss.

Nothing has been better for me in high school basketball was going to the New Castle Fieldhouse and seeing  9,000 there for the sectional.  You had 8 teams there and most nights fans even came even if your team was not playing that night.  Two games on Tuesday and Wednesday, two more on Friday and the championship on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If that's the way you see it, that's fine.  The problem is you're dealing with two different systems of eligibility.  The NCAA/NIT draws from the same pool of eligible teams.  They'll never define it this way, but the NIT is a consolation tournament.  The teams that weren't good enough to make it in the NCAAs go to the NIT. 

Classes are divided by nothing but size, not strength.  It's not as if teams are divided into quadrants based on record, then each treated equally. 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:32 AM, FKIM01 said:

JMO, most of the people advocating for single class basketball are attached to 4A schools. No one at Barr Reeve wants single class ball.

I went to Union Dugger. Graduated with 30 kids. We went to a regional finals and led the eventual state champion at the half. Just didn’t have enough juice in the second half. I was proud of us. Beating bigger schools felt like winning a sectional...winning sectional felt like winning state to us. Having ever person who graduated from our school turn up to support us at the Hulman center and seeing people fly back that hasn’t seen in years was special. A few years later our school went to state finals...a big deal but so many still talk about those years and beating the bigger schools as the teams they choose to talk about. Maybe it’s just the old folk and in time it will go away but there is something special about David vs Goliath...and as weird as it sounds when David wins even if not winning it all those games go down in school history with even more lore. It’s too late to go back I think now but I still don’t know why the two separate tourney and state championship couldn’t make both people happy.

Archived