Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A couple of in depth stories on Kaufman this week.  One in Louisville Courier Journal.  The other in IndyStar.  On phone instead of laptop, so I don't know how to insert link.  But wanted to let HoosierNation know in case you're interested.  The Star article, in particular, has a lot of great info.

Hopefully good info concerning IU and their involvement in this recruitment.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Love that he’s first in his class academically.  To do that and be a big time athlete, just wow.  

The Indy Star article, which is behind a paywall, goes into a lot more detail regarding his commitment to academics.  

Any of you that have. IndyStar access, I encourage you to read it.

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Indy Star article, which is behind a paywall, goes into a lot more detail regarding his commitment to academics.  

Any of you that have. IndyStar access, I encourage you to read it.

That’s great.  I feel a sense of pride when I see the tradition of excellence away from the court for our players.  Whether it’s Dr Hornsby or Dr Sloan or AD Chris Reynolds, etc.  (you could just go on and on), we have tons of examples of guys who have excelled.  Sports, if used right, can really help you outside of the game when you think of characteristics such as discipline, organization, tenacity etc.  IU’s tradition in developing outstanding young men is something I hope will always be a point of emphasis.  Sampson took us off the rails but if you recruit the right guys, these traits can help you in other endeavors.  The kid who dogs it, doesn’t hustle, gets outworked, doesn’t have tenacity, etc., well that doesn’t bode well for his future in other aspects outside of ball.  I say it all the time, but, for most people, being in the habit of doing the right things—on and off the court—is determinative of success. Even guys like Larry Bird, MJ, Kobe, most superstars, their work ethics are extraordinary.  

I really think Archie wants a roster full of those guys. You know he was “obsessed”—as Brian Snow put it—with Matt Cross.  The other guys he’s gotten by and large follow that mode. 

I can see why Kaufman is a monster priority for Archie.  But, he’s a kid who is easy to root for even if he goes elsewhere.  I generally really like to follow Indiana products. We all have pride in the players we put out as a state who go on and excel.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s great.  I feel a sense of pride when I see the tradition of excellence away from the court for our players.  Whether it’s Dr Hornsby or Dr Sloan or AD Chris Reynolds, etc., you could just go on and on.  Sports, if used right, can really help you outside of the game when you think of characteristics such as discipline, organization, tenacity etc.  IU’s tradition in developing outstanding young men is something I hope will always be a point of emphasis.  Sampson took us off the rails but if you recruit the right guys, these traits can help you in other endeavors.  The kid who dogs it, doesn’t hustle, gets outworked, doesn’t have tenacity, etc., well that doesn’t bode well for his future in other aspects.  I say it all the time, but, for most people, being in the habit of doing the right things—on and off the court—is determinative of success. Even guys like Larry Bird, MJ, Kobe, their work ethics are extraordinary.  

I really think Archie wants a roster full of those guys. You know he was “obsessed”—as Brian Snow put it—with Matt Cross.  The other guys he’s gotten by and large follow that mode. 

I can see why Kaufman is a monster priority for Archie.  But, he’s a kid who is easy to root for even if he goes elsewhere.  I generally really like to follow Indiana products. We all have pride in the players we put out who excel.  

Unless those players go to UK or PU

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Unless those players go to UK or PU

Agree, especially if they essentially thumb their nose at IU.  But even still, I really liked Robbie Hummel as a ballplayer. Just loved his game.  I’d take him anytime.  We can all have allegiances to our team but still have rational thought.  

But, there are so many examples of Indiana guys who I really liked.  Larry Bird speaks for himself.  I loved Scott Skiles since I saw him on channel 4 with Hilliard Gates commenting on his Plymouth High team.  But there are so many, Luke Harangody, Matt Howard, Gordon Hayward, Junior Bridgeman.  And, how about Dylan Windler, Desmond Bane and Sean McDermott of recent vintage.  Too many to name them all.  Ricopedia can rattle them off.   Common traits: instate guys know the game uncommonly well, and they are smart, competitive, and above all TOUGH.  Much of this can be traced to the emphasis on hoops, the tradition, growing up with and being students of it, and most importantly phenomenal coaching and youth basketball development.  It’s not the water in the state.  There’s reasons for why we develop these types of players, year in, year out.  It’s amazing when you take the size of our state into consideration. 

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree, especially if they essentially thumb their nose at IU.  But even still, I really liked Robbie Hummel as a ballplayer. Just loved his game.  I’d take him anytime.  We can all have allegiances to our team but still have rational thought.  

But, there are so many examples of Indiana guys who I really liked.  Larry Bird speaks for himself.  I loved Scott Skiles since I saw him on channel 4 with Hilliard Gates commenting on his Plymouth High team.  But there are so many, Luke Harangody, Matt Howard, Gordon Hayward, Junior Bridgeman.  And, how about Dylan Windler, Desmond Bane and Sean McDermott of recent vintage.  Too many to name them all.  Ricopedia can rattle them off.   Common traits: instate guys know the game uncommonly well, and they are smart, competitive, and above all TOUGH.  Much of this can be traced to the emphasis on hoops, the tradition, growing up with and being students of it, and most importantly phenomenal coaching and youth basketball development.  It’s not the water in the state.  There’s reasons for why we develop these types of players, year in, year out.  It’s amazing when you take the size of our state into consideration. 

Never liked Bird or Skiles

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

But there are so many, Luke Harangody, Matt Howard, Gordon Hayward, Junior Bridgeman.  And, how about Dylan Windler, Desmond Bane and Sean McDermott of recent vintage. 

Desmond Bane is quite the story. As a senior, Bane averaged a state-high 30 points, 11.5 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 3.2 blocks per game, but was unranked by all of the major services, despite being 6'6". Overlooked because Seton Catholic has 88 students in grades 9-12 and plays largely in obscurity.

Now averaging 16, 6 and 3 for TCU. Shoots 44% from 3. Maybe he'd like to come home for one year as a grad transfer? Although he could get drafted.

After Desmond made the decision to stay on the hardwood, he went through the difficult realization that schools in his home state of Indiana weren’t going to come calling as he put up huge numbers for Seton Catholic High School, a 1-A classification school — the lowest in the state.  He even posted a 62-point effort his senior season, yet no one in state reached out.

“Growing up looking at the candy cane stripes playing at IU, it’s just like every kid’s dream pretty much, and then the Purdue is there, a program that Matt Painter has done a great job with to get them going, and Notre Dame’s one of the best schools for academics and their basketball program was thriving just a few years ago, any of them would have been great,” he (grandfather) said.

Not even Indiana State, a team TCU has defeated twice this season, once by 20 in Fort Worth and again by 14 at the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii, offered Bane a spot.

https://www.tcu360.com/2019/02/banes-basketball-journey-takes-the-scenic-route-to-big-12-player-of-the-week/

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Right, but if I understand the grad transfer rule correctly, if a player has graduated but hasn't used up his 5 years of eligibility he can play one year as a grad transfer. He may have pro opportunities, though.

According to this, he’s played his four years, unless I’m missing something.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/desmond-bane-1.html

20 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Archie and Ostrom made the trip to watch Furst last night. I think it's clear we don't want Kaufman as much as other schools do.

Ostrom watched Trey last Saturday night which means he rushed down from Columbus Ohio to do so after IU's loss to the Buckeyes.

I think that contradicts your assumption.  They can't watch EVERY one of his games.

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

IMG_20200207_115556.jpg

I think he was looking for factual evidence to the comment that IU was not recruiting Kaufman as hard as other schools.

@GrangerHoosier was ignoring the fact that Ostrom travelled to Sellersburg on the same day IU had a tough ROAD loss to see Trey play against the #1 ranked team in the state.  PU and UL did not have coaches at that game.  Instead, their coaches attend a game where their teams did not play that day and Silver Creek was playing a team they beat 103-47.

So, in a 6 day span, IU, UL, and PeeYew have all watched Trey play one time,  with only IU making extra effort to see him play against top competition.  But, somehow those facts have been twisted to indicate IU is not prioritizing Trey.

I call BS.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I think he was looking for factual evidence to the comment that IU was not recruiting Kaufman as hard as other schools.

@GrangerHoosier was ignoring the fact that Ostrom travelled to Sellersburg on the same day IU had a tough ROAD loss to see Trey play against the #1 ranked team in the state.  PU and UL did not have coaches at that game.  Instead, their coaches attend a game where their teams did not play that day and Silver Creek was playing a team they beat 103-47.

So, in a 6 day span, IU, UL, and PeeYew have all watched Trey play one time,  with only IU making extra effort to see him play against top competition.  But, somehow those facts have been twisted to indicate IU is not prioritizing Trey.

I call BS.

After rereading, I believe you're correct...my bad...

Archived