Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Nope but know Nick. Just because some people are a little butt hurt by what he says doesn't mean it can be true or not. 

You're probably a bit too close for objectivity, don't you think? I haven't seen a lot of "butt hurt" people outside of 1-2 posts on this forum. Even the responses on twitter were pretty civil which is a rarity. At the end of the day, if Nick didn't want critique, he shouldn't have come forward with his original tweet in such a definitive tone at the exact moment LD commited. Even the majority of posters on these forums realize nothing in recruiting is definitive until a decision is made. 

It doesn't help that his explanation was filled with  "seems like", "my impression", "my sense" statements with a bunch of other personal speculation around their fit together, how their friendship affects the recruitment, etc. Just feels like a lot of hedging and blackpedaling after surfacing the topic with an abundance of confidence at the start.  

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

Nope but know Nick. Just because some people are a little butt hurt by what he says doesn't mean it can be true or not. 

Look.  I'm not butt hurt.  But, my kids go to Silver Creek and know Trey.  I personally know several members of his extended family.  Maybe what Nick posted is true, and maybe it's not.  But, shouldn't information like that be coming from Trey, himself?

Where I take exception is the same issue I have with media in general.  People present opinions as facts.  And, that is exactly what Nick did here.  That is wrong.  

I'm also irritated because Trey is one of the finest young men any of us would ever meet.  I have no doubt he is looking at all the right things to help him make his decision.  

What if I tweeted something like "Things are over between Nick and his wife/girlfriend.  I can't go into details yet, but it came from a source that's been reliable in the past".  Nick would be pissed about that, and he should be.  And, you would be pissed as well because you know the guy. 

So, I ask, as you defend him, how is my mythical tweet any different than the one he actually sent?

35 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

You're probably a bit too close for objectivity, don't you think? I haven't seen a lot of "butt hurt" people outside of 1-2 posts on this forum. Even the responses on twitter were pretty civil which is a rarity. At the end of the day, if Nick didn't want critique, he shouldn't have come forward with his original tweet in such a definitive tone at the exact moment LD commited. Even the majority of posters on these forums realize nothing in recruiting is definitive until a decision is made. 

It doesn't help that his explanation was filled with  "seems like", "my impression", "my sense" statements with a bunch of other personal speculation around their fit together, how their friendship affects the recruitment, etc. Just feels like a lot of hedging and blackpedaling after surfacing the topic with an abundance of confidence at the start.  

I am not that close. I know he isn't quessing on this one.  He has a source that says he is waiting on a bigger offer and its not a bad source.  That family does talk.....to people who talk to other people.....does everyone know the reason it was said that him and Lander won't play together?  The coaching staff knows of the reason and they have worked really hard to get over that hill.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Look.  I'm not butt hurt.  But, my kids go to Silver Creek and know Trey.  I personally know several members of his extended family.  Maybe what Nick posted is true, and maybe it's not.  But, shouldn't information like that be coming from Trey, himself?

Where I take exception is the same issue I have with media in general.  People present opinions as facts.  And, that is exactly what Nick did here.  That is wrong.  

I'm also irritated because Trey is one of the finest young men any of us would ever meet.  I have no doubt he is looking at all the right things to help him make his decision.  

What if I tweeted something like "Things are over between Nick and his wife/girlfriend.  I can't go into details yet, but it came from a source that's been reliable in the past".  Nick would be pissed about that, and he should be.  And, you would be pissed as well because you know the guy. 

So, I ask, as you defend him, how is my mythical tweet any different than the one he actually sent?

This screams of a Rabjohns stole Yogi's moment post. 

If I could offer some advice to Nick, when you make a declaration followed by a "maybe" then you are not saying anything. You are certainly not confirming anything. It's not news. It's speculation and should be stated as such. The fact he offers no reference to where this is coming from reeks of a sad attempt at clickbait. He would have been better served to note it as a rumor or speculation on his part if he does not have the confidence to cite the source.

For example - this is my speculation. It's another example of an "expert" that provides very little. Anyone on here can make similar declarations on any recruit. Not to pile on, but I found his intro from another site that hired him for his insights late last year. He's a former high school player that had some success who signed with Evansville but does not appear to have ever played. I get the impression his dreams as a player did not work out, he is admittedly between jobs, and he figured he could use the contacts from his playing days to take a shot in the insane world of college basketball "expert".

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Disagree on the first bolded a bit. A reporter's job is to develop reliable sources, hunt down news stories and ultimately report on them. I'm speaking in general here, not specific to how Nick handled himself. Of course in respects to recruiting and reporting there is certainly a valid debate to be had on what's kosher and not kosher when it comes to reporting on high school kids, I completely get that part. 

On the second bolded, I completely, 100% agree. What Nick reported is not a fact and it serves no purpose to come out so defiantly and defininitive that IU is out of it. I know Nick is a young reporter, and I'm guessing has a lot to learn about his business, and I think he missed the mark here in a big way. I'm also wondering if he had just one source? What happened to needing two sources before you go public with something?

35 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

he is admittedly between jobs, and he figured he could use the contacts from his playing days to take a shot in the insane world of college basketball "expert".

I was thinking the same thing. 995 Twitter followers isn't going to earn any money, so whack the bee's nest and see what happens...

In this case it looks to have backfired...he's posting a lot on Twitter today to get the tweets in question down the page a bit...

Hey guys, I like Nick, but take certain things said by "sources" (including myself and others) with a grain of salt. 

I was the very first person to leak Romeo to IU to Nick (what he told me). Within an hour he said he had 10 more sources saying the same. True or not, when you are trying to "come up" you are willing to take more chances. Which means more strikeouts when you tried to hit it out of the park. His (and other people's) sources can be as low as "me" or someone like me. 

With that said, Nick is (mostly) correct with TK. IU is his lean right now. But he has his eyes on another blue blood. I don't think he is going to get much more than just interest from them. I think Nick went a little too far by implying IU is basically out. But as he said he was relaying info from a source. He just could have done a better job of explaining and hedging that info. 

Also something @CoachSS said a while back that is 100% true. Sometimes the info you have in the moment is 100% true for that moment. But situations change. Kids minds change. Coaches interest changes. So that 100% true thing in that moment is suddenly no longer the case in the next moment. 

I think TK takes a few more months to see what develops. But at the end up of the day I think he commits to Archie. 

54 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

If I could offer some advice to Nick, when you make a declaration followed by a "maybe" then you are not saying anything. You are certainly not confirming anything. It's not news. It's speculation and should be stated as such. The fact he offers no reference to where this is coming from reeks of a sad attempt at clickbait. He would have been better served to note it as a rumor or speculation on his part if he does not have the confidence to cite the source.

For example - this is my speculation. It's another example of an "expert" that provides very little. Anyone on here can make similar declarations on any recruit. Not to pile on, but I found his intro from another site that hired him for his insights late last year. He's a former high school player that had some success who signed with Evansville but does not appear to have ever played. I get the impression his dreams as a player did not work out, he is admittedly between jobs, and he figured he could use the contacts from his playing days to take a shot in the insane world of college basketball "expert".

In Nick's defense, reporters are not obligated to disclose their sources. If they were, being a reporter would be virtually impossible. Of course I don't know where/who his source is, but it would be foolish of Nick to disclose, "I talked to Kaufman's next door neighbor and they told me IU is out". If you do that, your sources run dry and you're no longer a reporter. 

To counter that, you should have more than one source to confirm something before you go public with it. 

15 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Now you are being emotional. Brooks was a done deal at one point remember?  CoachSS has said some really incorrect stuff right or wrong? Everyone does it.  Clean up the sand out of your mangina and come back to the thread.  

IMO, that's not a good analogy. Nick Baumgart does this for a job, so he should be more careful in his wordings. But CoachSS is a well-connected person who gets information a lot faster than others. it's meaningless to talk about whose sources are better, but you simply can't ask the same level of responsibility to CoachSS.

3 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

I am not that close. I know he isn't quessing on this one.  He has a source that says he is waiting on a bigger offer and its not a bad source.  That family does talk.....to people who talk to other people.....does everyone know the reason it was said that him and Lander won't play together?  The coaching staff knows of the reason and they have worked really hard to get over that hill.  

No everyone does not know the reason.  Care to enlighten us?

31 minutes ago, psychobat said:

No everyone does not know the reason.  Care to enlighten us?

It’a not for a message board.  Someone made some bad choices and we will leave it at that. @BGleas you wanna laugh? It truly isn’t about the kid.  Even the people like Bloom aren’t posting it on sites and they know it.  Something similar was written on Rivals. 

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

IMO, that's not a good analogy. Nick Baumgart does this for a job, so he should be more careful in his wordings. But CoachSS is a well-connected person who gets information a lot faster than others. it's meaningless to talk about whose sources are better, but you simply can't ask the same level of responsibility to CoachSS.

Who does Nick work for? Nick and Rivals new owners decided to end his contract when they got rid of his benefits and cut his pay in half.  He no longer is employed.  There are people on other sites trying to hire him now.  

Ok.. I'm not going to argue with anyone about what I'm about to say. I just spoke with my source(same one that said Romeo was going to IU 2 weeks before it happened, the one that said Brunk to IU the day before it happened, and the guy that told me Lander to IU and reclassifying the day before it happened) 

1. Trey and Lander have ZERO problems with each other.  Complete fabrication made up over Lander leaving his old trainer. 

2. Trey was looking for Duke, UK, UNC offers this summer. He wants to play in the NBA, and was "enamored" with getting those offers, that doesnt mean he will go there. 

3. My source believed that no spring AAU will help IU because Trey will be less showcased. 

4. My source lives very close to Sellersburg. This is someone who contacts Trey's group very frequently. 

3 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

I am not that close....

3 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Who does Nick work for? Nick and Rivals new owners decided to end his contract when they got rid of his benefits and cut his pay in half.  He no longer is employed.  There are people on other sites trying to hire him now.  

image.png.382129b2a7ab4ff242315d11380a9848.png

30 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

It’a not for a message board.  Someone made some bad choices and we will leave it at that. @BGleas you wanna laugh? It truly isn’t about the kid.  Even the people like Bloom aren’t posting it on sites and they know it.  Something similar was written on Rivals. 

Yes, I'm laughing. This whole thing is ridiculous.

20 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

I just know what happened. 

Then either tell us what happened or quit talking about it.  Why bring it up again if all that you are going to say is “it’s not for a message board”..............do you just need to reassure yourself and everyone else that you have info that others don”t?

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Answer the question,  If I tweeted out that '"Things are over between Nick and his wife/girlfriend", do you think that is right or wrong?

@IU_Realist  Why crickets to a direct question?

Being in sports media does not give someone the right to present something as fact when it is, in truth, an opinion based on unverified information, and not a fact.  

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok.. I'm not going to argue with anyone about what I'm about to say. I just spoke with my source(same one that said Romeo was going to IU 2 weeks before it happened, the one that said Brunk to IU the day before it happened, and the guy that told me Lander to IU and reclassifying the day before it happened) 

1. Trey and Lander have ZERO problems with each other.  Complete fabrication made up over Lander leaving his old trainer. 

2. Trey was looking for Duke, UK, UNC offers this summer. He wants to play in the NBA, and was "enamored" with getting those offers, that doesnt mean he will go there. 

3. My source believed that no spring AAU will help IU because Trey will be less showcased. 

4. My source lives very close to Sellersburg. This is someone who contacts Trey's group very frequently. 

Thanks for the info and I really hope we get Trey. In regards to getting a Duke offer.....He would really have to blow up (which he very well may) for that to happen. Rivals currently has him at 97. In the past 3 years Duke has signed ten 5 stars and the rest were high 4’s (mid-thirties) with the lowest guy ranked 51st. They are just recruiting on a whole different level than almost anybody.

Archived