Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Let's not jump to a conclusion that he doesn't want to come to IU just because he has not committed yet.  History says that less than 10% of junior BB players are committed at this point.  Why we we demand that TK be different?

I stated a point of view if those we recruit want to go elsewhere go. I did not state I didn't want him to commit to IU. I believe CAM is close to getting IU all the way back. But BEING A HELPFUL MAROON my thoughts are wrong to only want young men who want to be apart of it and want to be there when it happens. So I was wrong to share my view

On 5/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, loviubb said:

I stated a point of view if those we recruit want to go elsewhere go. I did not state I didn't want him to commit to IU. I believe CAM is close to getting IU all the way back. But BEING A HELPFUL MAROON my thoughts are wrong to only want young men who want to be apart of it and want to be there when it happens. So I was wrong to share my view

Yep, he's real close to getting IU "all the way back." A few more years and maybe we'll start making tournaments again! 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Yep, he's real close to getting IU "all the way back." A few more years and maybe we'll start making tournaments again! 

I guess you think we were not in the tourney, I GUESS YOU DON'T LIKE OUR  RECRUITING. I think maybe you should wish we would hire another Samson. If coach Knight said this kid can coach but IU FANS will not wait for the turn around then I HOPE IN NEXT YEAR OR THE YEAR AFTER YOUR sorry for being wrong and if I am wrong I hope the next COACH HAS A CHANCE TO PLEASE YOU!!!!

23 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I guess you think we were not in the tourney, I GUESS YOU DON'T LIKE OUR  RECRUITING. I think maybe you should wish we would hire another Samson. If coach Knight said this kid can coach but IU FANS will not wait for the turn around then I HOPE IN NEXT YEAR OR THE YEAR AFTER YOUR sorry for being wrong and if I am wrong I hope the next COACH HAS A CHANCE TO PLEASE YOU!!!!

Nope, I think we would have been in. Just not sure we'll continue to make it, let alone make any kind of run, recruiting mostly 3 star players. 

Purely from a coaching perspective, I'd gladly take another Sampson. He didn't need 3 years to "get his players," he just came in and started winning. No excuses, no "system" that needed to be learned, he just won. And he won 74% of his games here, a bit better than the 56% we're currently getting from Archie Miller. 

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Nope, I think we would have been in. Just not sure we'll continue to make it, let alone make any kind of run, recruiting mostly 3 star players. 

Purely from a coaching perspective, I'd gladly take another Sampson. He didn't need 3 years to "get his players," he just came in and started winning. No excuses, no "system" that needed to be learned, he just won. And he won 74% of his games here, a bit better than the 56% we're currently getting from Archie Miller. 

I think Sampson had a better  cast of players to start then Miller. I think Millers hands were tied with being able to do any Creaning players. I have watched a team that seems to get better as season goes on. I ALSO HAVE SEEN TOO MANY INJURIES is it a bad spell or something that CAM SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR? That is part of 56% In MY opinion another factor is how GOOD the Big10 is from top to bottom! Well I hope I am right and wish you a HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!

22 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Recruiting looks pretty good to me with getting 3 straight Mr. Basketballs with two being McDonald's All Americans.  Also got another recruit in Lander who would be one if he didn't reclassify.  He also got 4 stars like Hunter and Thompson.

Also the players that Sampson brought in had problems with drugs and they had no desire to go to class.

Mostly 3 stars? All five according to Rivals in ‘18 were 4-5 stars. One of the two in ‘19 was. 2 of the 3 in ‘20 are above 3 stars. And both in ‘21 are above 3 stars. What are you watching?

The kids Sampson inherited were on a different level than what Crean left... not even close, sorry. Look at the strength of the Big10 in comparison of the two so far as well.

If you don’t see a reason to be excited going into next year.... wow. 

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Mostly 3 stars? All five according to Rivals in ‘18 were 4-5 stars. One of the two in ‘19 was. 2 of the 3 in ‘20 are above 3 stars. And both in ‘21 are above 3 stars. What are you watching?

The kids Sampson inherited were on a different level than what Crean left... not even close, sorry. Look at the strength of the Big10 in comparison of the two so far as well.

If you don’t see a reason to be excited going into next year.... wow. 

I think guy must be a former poster over at rivals because this is there typical ammo

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

Are you just leaving 5* Khristian Lander out on purpose or? 

I think you should be pretty excited for next year. If not, you’re just looking for anything to complain about. 

I'll echo this....with what we have coming back and in...these are the really good days coming for IU hoops. Haven't been this excited in about 8 years for a team that returns this many players AND bringing in 4 guys who can't wait to beat the starters out for minutes. 

The IU administration sucks!!! I’m willing to give Archie more time!! Go IU!! 

If you go by 247 rankings. Composite is broke af because ESPN doesn’t give a **** and rivals is barely trying anymore.  

Archie will have two 3 stars on the roster next year. With both being seniors. Archie is getting a decent mixture of 4 stars. 

Talent won’t be our problem if we aren’t winning. 

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Podcast with Trey and Silver Creek coach Brandon Hoffman.  If you don't open today, it's Episode 8.

Matt Denison. That's a name I have forgotten about.  Used to listen to him a lot.  Thanks 5.  Good to see he is still active doing IU "stuff".

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Podcast with Trey and Silver Creek coach Brandon Hoffman.  If you don't open today, it's Episode 8.

Well, Crap, it did not load the right podcast.  I'll try to figure it out.

This should be the right one.

https://soundcloud.com/indianahshoops

The host asked Trey towards the end of a podcast about the timing of his decision.  Gave him 3 options to choose from.

• Before senior season
  • During senior season
  • After senior season

Trey said he could not imagine waiting until after his senior season, but he was not on a specific timetable.  He would choose when he felt the time was right. 

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The host asked Trey towards the end of a podcast about the timing of his decision.  Gave him 3 options to choose from.

• Before senior season
  • During senior season
  • After senior season

Trey said he could not imagine waiting until after his senior season, but he was not on a specific timetable.  He would choose when he felt the time was right

Hmmm..... Last I read here was late April, early May????  🙄

2 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

As has been said many times before, I largely delete posts because they are no longer relevant or interesting. 

You also seem to be going out of your way to mention me. Did I do something wrong to you? Did I say I was the only one who knows people in the HS recruiting world? 

I don't know who you are. If I knew your name that might make it easier.

Just to be clear, NOTHING has been delayed. He was NEVER going to commit in April or May. And no one in this recruitment thought so. Just trying to understand @RoadToZionwhy it seemed you went out of your way to attack what I was saying. 

Hey @CoachSS, when you posted on Twitter after Duncomb committed. Who were you talking about when saying you expect another commitment in April or May? I thought you were talking about TK. But, I didn’t know if you meant Mohammed, Wesley, etc.

Guys, everyone appreciates what you both bring.  Heck, my kids go to school with Trey and I trust you both no more than I.

That said, it's not a competition about who is right.   Most posters understand that you guys can't be right 100% of the time. 

Thank you both for what you bring to the board.  

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Per Cory Evans 

20200512_111252.jpg

My personal belief is Trey will not want his recruitment to be a distraction next season (if there is one).  So, my prediction is he will commit before November.

No thoughts that I'm willing to share on where he may commit.  But, if you listen to the podcast I linked, he does provide some clues as to what he is looking for.

I’ll chime in and I texted with CoachSS about it this morning too. I never felt TK would play far from home. Now, does that mean he won’t soak up this once in a lifetime opportunity and go on free visits to other great programs?  Certainly not. This is a neat time for a great kid who has grown up his whole life working to get to this point. So, if I were TK and I felt more comfortable playing close to home and/or felt more comfortable with a local staff such as IU, I’m still probably going to visit a UNC or UVa because....why not?  There’s been numerous examples over the years of guys enjoying free visits to schools and they end up going with one of their longtime main target schools. Plus, UNC isn’t really prioritizing TK like they are others and Bennett was flat out told it’s going to be an uphill battle with TK. He’s going to give it a try, but at the end of the day I think it’s too far from home and feel he wants to play a different style. That also doesn’t mean Bennett is a mediocre coach or his teams haven’t been successful, but TK likes to get up and go. He likes to slash and be moving. 

And from Day 1, I’ve always said he will likely commit prior to his HS season. Whether that’s June, July, August, or even November...not sure anyone truly knows. But, he wants to be laser focused on a State title for his senior season. He won’t want to have that burden of thought as he’s trying to compete for his last chance at a title. 

And I’ll end with this....Ostrom has done a fantastic job in this recruitment. Not a guess on where he goes, but Coach O has done his job and done it very well. 

Archived