Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

49 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Nice!  Mike is normally extremely cautious with such things.  He must have a good feeling or good info.  

That’s why I’m so lost as to why he’s saying he has a “low” confidence level of Kaufman to IU. Maybe it’s not to ruin the kids moment and spill the beans or maybe he thinks if Kentucky offers things become interesting but peegs has literally only logged like 12 predictions over the years so it seems pretty significant if he’s offering up his two cents. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Henryville Hoosier said:

Just checked the crystal ball and it only shows 2 picks. WTH

I see that, too. Yesterday it showed all 4. On his main page it still shows 4 predictions. It is odd indeed. Could be an error in there part that isn't showing all 4 for some reason.

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

This is a great staff right now, ALL of then.  Winning is around the corner.

The problem with success is offers come to run your own program... the key to a successful program is making sure you bring in killer recruiters because they are the difference between success and failure. I also think that it seems like Ostrom is the lead recruiter and never Archie. I think Archie needs to be more hands on in the future. I mean maybe he already is and it’s just not talked about enough 

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The problem with success is offers come to run your own program... the key to a successful program is making sure you bring in killer recruiters because they are the difference between success and failure. I also think that it seems like Ostrom is the lead recruiter and never Archie. I think Archie needs to be more hands on in the future. I mean maybe he already is and it’s just not talked about enough 

Flint has been credited with a bunch of recruits and now we are seeing Roberts influence and connections.  Everyone needs a contact and it seems Miller is heavily involved as well from recruit interviews, signees, parents, and other interviews.  Miller is a tireless recruiter.  Osterum is very, very good at that as well and well connected.

24 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Flint has been credited with a bunch of recruits and now we are seeing Roberts influence and connections.  Everyone needs a contact and it seems Miller is heavily involved as well from recruit interviews, signees, parents, and other interviews.  Miller is a tireless recruiter.  Osterum is very, very good at that as well and well connected.

I appreciate the input 👍👊

5 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think it’s been said that Ostrom is a great recruiter but isn’t really that involved in the coaching/strategy aspect.  I don’t think he’s going to leave for a head coaching job.

25 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think it’s been said that Ostrom is a great recruiter but isn’t really that involved in the coaching/strategy aspect.  I don’t think he’s going to leave for a head coaching job.

Everyone needs that assistant coach that is kind of the good cop...encouraging players...good with families. Supportive. Don’t need 3 coaches drawing up plays and yelling at the kids. Hope Ostrom sticks around...seems like a great asset.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Makes sense to me. I scout for our high school team on a regular basis, but don´t do a lot of in game coaching. Just suggestions here and there to head coach. It´s my role. Ostrom is fine doing his role. I believe you hit it on the head!

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He applied for the Dayton job. When we start winning someone will come calling and he is gone.

25 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

He also interviewed for the Northern Kentucky job last year.  One strong year from IU and he could be hard to keep.

That’s my exact point. Others are replaceable but it’s very hard to replace what he’s done. I mean he clearly wants to be a head coach if he’s applying for it.

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

That’s my exact point. Others are replaceable but it’s very hard to replace what he’s done. I mean he clearly wants to be a head coach if he’s applying for it.

Yep gotta be willing to pay him enough to convince him to turn down most offers. But at the end of the day if he wants to coach he will be gone. 

I don’t really worry about the assistants. Sure, I’d love Ostrom to stay as long as possible, but IU has recruited star players under Bob Knight, Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Tom Crean and Archie Miller. Ostrom is a great recruiter but the recruiting strategy is Archie’s and he’s clearly heavily involved in closing the deal. 

If Ostrom leaves at some point, Archie will bring in another great recruiter. If Archie is winning, it won’t really matter. The recruits will be there and Archie has clearly built strong relationships in Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. 

1 hour ago, Sark said:

They divide scouting and preparation, too. He’s not a recruiting only coach.

Yes, he is the associate head coach and has a ton of responsibilities.  He is known as a recruiter and that goes back to his days with Donovan.  He is a dynamic recruiter and connects well with people.  

16 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep gotta be willing to pay him enough to convince him to turn down most offers. But at the end of the day if he wants to coach he will be gone. 

Not always about the money. And no basketball Assistant is getting head coach money. Its not football where Ala. can pay a guy a million.

35 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Not always about the money. And no basketball Assistant is getting head coach money. Its not football where Ala. can pay a guy a million.

Kenny Payne get 900,000. That’s more than twice what the guy who ended up getting the Northern Kentucky Job is getting.  

If we want to keep Ostrom we can beat an offer from the kind of schools that’s are willing to hire an assistant. 

But if he really wants a head coaching gig their will be no keeping him. But if we lose him because he wants a pay raise that’s us being stupid. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Kenny Payne get 900,000. That’s more than twice what the guy who ended up getting the Northern Kentucky Job is getting.  

If we want to keep Ostrom we can beat an offer from the kind of schools that’s are willing to hire an assistant. 

But if he really wants a head coaching gig their will be no keeping him. But if we lose him because he wants a pay raise that’s us being stupid. 

I think the only way we would lose him is when he wants to be a head coach.  He won't leave here to be an assistant at another school.

Archived