Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the only way we would lose him is when he wants to be a head coach.  He won't leave here to be an assistant at another school.

Agreed. It won’t be a lateral move. He also will evaluate the quality of the program he would go to. He is great at connecting with kids and is a big plus for our staff.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, slojoe said:

CAM has it going in his recruiting.  This year looks to be his best class, yet.

But it has A LOT to do with Ostrom.... 90% of the top 50 kids Ostrom is the lead recruiter and I haven’t seen very many where Archie is the lead recruiter. I mean maybe the plan is Archie Closes but I don’t know.

59 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

But it has A LOT to do with Ostrom.... 90% of the top 50 kids Ostrom is the lead recruiter and I haven’t seen very many where Archie is the lead recruiter. I mean maybe the plan is Archie Closes but I don’t know.

I would say thats true of every team in the country.

17 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

You honestly don’t think Archie is heavily involved in every recruit IU lands? 

My understanding is Ostrom is responsible for managing in game substitutions. Obviously Archie can makes moves when he wants - but Ostrom is largely responsible for rotating guys in and out. I think we’ve all been critical of substitution patterns from time to time :)

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

You honestly don’t think Archie is heavily involved in every recruit IU lands? 

I think he is the closer but name the last recruit where he has been the lead recruiter? It’s Ostrom not Archie... I cant tell you how many times a big recruit will say this head coach is recruiting me hard and when they get to Indiana they say Coach Ostrom is recruiting me etc... when you look on 247 and it says lead recruiter it doesn’t say Archie on a lot of them it says Ostrom. If that’s Archie’s way of doing things it’s working and I’m totally fine with it but if Ostrom is making that big of an impact he isn’t as easily replaced like our other assistants. Our other assistants have gotten recruits but all of our BIG recruits such as TJD, Romeo, Lander are all Ostrom not Archie and not other assistants.

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think he is the closer but name the last recruit where he has been the lead recruiter? It’s Ostrom not Archie... I cant tell you how many times a big recruit will say this head coach is recruiting me hard and when they get to Indiana they say Coach Ostrom is recruiting me etc... when you look on 247 and it says lead recruiter it doesn’t say Archie on a lot of them it says Ostrom. If that’s Archie’s way of doing things it’s working and I’m totally fine with it but if Ostrom is making that big of an impact he isn’t as easily replaced like our other assistants. Our other assistants have gotten recruits but all of our BIG recruits such as TJD, Romeo, Lander are all Ostrom not Archie and not other assistants.

May be lead recruiter but they commit to school and coach

Cracks me up...I’ll jump on here and click on a player’s name to see if there’s an update on their recruitment or any rumors flying around and 9 times out of 10 there is a completely different subject being discussed.

Me- I wonder if that PF is leaning towards the Hoosiers. Let’s click on his name and see

”Pineapple does not belong on pizza!!!”

”yes it does!!!!”

🤣😂🤣

18 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Let’s get back to Trey. Lol

Would most fans prefer another Romeo-type (meaning, OAD) or a Trey Kaufman, who is likely a 3-4 year college player?

I want the best players from the state of Indiana consistently. Archie has more than done that so far. 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You don’t need OADs to succeed. Preferably you build with high level guys that stay multiple years. When did a OAD last play in the title game out of curiosity. 

Has there been any since 2015? Duke had 3 that year and I believe pUKe had 5 in 2012.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

I want the best players from the state of Indiana consistently. Archie has more than done that so far. 

Hi.  First time poster, long time fan of this forum as the best way to keep up with IUBB.  Before I ask my questions, I want to be clear that it's out of genuine curiosity, not intended as a flame, and not directed at btownqb for an answer. 

I've seen the desire (or at least preference) for the team to be made up of Indiana natives mentioned at some point in most recruiting threads.  If this is your perspective, Is it because you've followed these kids as HS players?  Is it because you feel there's a lower transfer probability?  Is it a matter of state pride?  Something else I'm not considering?

I attended IU from 88-92.  The day I arrived on campus was also the first day I stepped foot in the state of Indiana.  I don't have a second favorite program.  I care about IU returning to the heights I remember and I want the team to be comprised of the best players we can recruit.  Maybe I would have a different perspective if I grew up or currently lived in Indiana, but I think I'd probably still care far more about winning. 

This thread is about Kaufman, so I'm going to put my second question in an appropriate context.  The player IU is recruiting who is closest in comparison is Trey Patterson, but I'm not going to make this about which player has the potential to be better.  I imagine if there were a preference poll taken, Kaufman would win by a landslide.  If Patterson went to school somewhere in southern Indiana and Kaufman went to school in New Jersey would that make a difference to you?

2 minutes ago, olsontex said:

Hi.  First time poster, long time fan of this forum as the best way to keep up with IUBB.  Before I ask my questions, I want to be clear that it's out of genuine curiosity, not intended as a flame, and not directed at btownqb for an answer. 

I've seen the desire (or at least preference) for the team to be made up of Indiana natives mentioned at some point in most recruiting threads.  If this is your perspective, Is it because you've followed these kids as HS players?  Is it because you feel there's a lower transfer probability?  Is it a matter of state pride?  Something else I'm not considering?

I attended IU from 88-92.  The day I arrived on campus was also the first day I stepped foot in the state of Indiana.  I don't have a second favorite program.  I care about IU returning to the heights I remember and I want the team to be comprised of the best players we can recruit.  Maybe I would have a different perspective if I grew up or currently lived in Indiana, but I think I'd probably still care far more about winning. 

This thread is about Kaufman, so I'm going to put my second question in an appropriate context.  The player IU is recruiting who is closest in comparison is Trey Patterson, but I'm not going to make this about which player has the potential to be better.  I imagine if there were a preference poll taken, Kaufman would win by a landslide.  If Patterson went to school somewhere in southern Indiana and Kaufman went to school in New Jersey would that make a difference to you?

Most people who grew up in Indiana know the quality of coaches in high school and most AAU programs.  We feel the quality of the high school game in this state is better than any place in the country.  The kids in this state is taught the right way to play and know the fundamentals of the game.

If everything is pretty much equal we want to see Indiana kids in the roster.  Not saying I would rather have a 3 star Indiana over 5 star out if state player.  You said you were at IU from 88-92 which was our last elite we had.  The majority of those players was from Indiana or the surrounding states.

Most of our truly  great teams 75,76,81 were mainly made up of Indiana, Illinois and Ohio players.

10 minutes ago, olsontex said:

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation. As a poster.  For me.  Nothing wrong with non Indiana players. In fact many of our greatest have come from outside of the borders.  Yet, IMHO.  Gotta lock down the border. Per Coach Miller's promise to us.  As some of our best have been lost to other programs...outside of the state of Indiana. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Most people who grew up in Indiana know the quality of coaches in high school and most AAU programs.  We feel the quality of the high school game in this state is better than any place in the country.  The kids in this state is taught the right way to play and know the fundamentals of the game.

If everything is pretty much equal we want to see Indiana kids in the roster.  Not saying I would rather have a 3 star Indiana over 5 star out if state player.  You said you were at IU from 88-92 which was our last elite we had.  The majority of those players was from Indiana or the surrounding states.

Most of our truly  great teams 75,76,81 were mainly made up of Indiana, Illinois and Ohio players.

Good post. Could not agree with it more.

Archived