Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

As for the simple comparison between the two Treys...Patterson I think is a little more finished product. I think he has a little more maturity to his physique and his game is further along. Guy can play both wings and pf. I think he was more a fast riser nationally (likely do to be more advanced size wise and fundamentally sound) as a younger player. That said I don’t think he has a lot more room to move up the ranks. He can come in right away and make an impact but I don’t see a huge jump in his game coming along...just refinement. Would be a great get and some needed physicality.

Kaufman is one that like Wesley would be fast rising on the national scene this summer. Really starting to figure it out with his game...getting stronger more explosive. I think he has more upside long term but may not have that immediate big impact as a freshman but can certainly play in our rotation (think Hunter and how he started to come on)....with great potential. Both play similar position wing/pf. Both would be an upgrade over what we got from that position with Smith because of their threat to shoot and dribble drive. I lean more to Kaufman right now because it would be another signal to Indiana kids staying home is the best choice and the new thing for the best players. Also his connection to players already on the team.

I mean it’s quite a list Archie is putting together...but make no mistake..if we miss on Kaufman but somehow landed Patterson I’m not sure it would hurt us on the floor a great deal. Excited Archie has us in the hunt with these type of kids honestly...Crean did some great recruiting but was just more a modern power hitter. Home runs or swings and misses. Archie is certainly hitting with plenty of pop but is just racking up doubles and driving in runs by putting the ball in play more. He keeps doing that he will have his share of home runs and production when it is all said and done and I expect us to get to the top of the B1G and live at the top.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good discussions. My thought on the recruiting of Indiana kids, I’m all for it............if it makes sense!  Don’t get IN kids just to say you got IN kids. Guys like Galloway and Leal?  Absolutely. I’ve coached against one and seen plenty of the other and they are solid Indiana HS players who can make an impact and are both 4 year players. But, we’ve seen examples of guys like Grant Gelon, who frankly wasn’t even the best player on his HS team. Those players don’t make sense. Plus, recruiting the right Indiana HS players keeps the relationships solid with Indiana HS coaches. The previous coaching staff was not on most HS coaches’ Xmas lists in our state. 

So, I’m not in the camp of ONLY getting Indiana kids, but the right ones. 

4 hours ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Good discussions. My thought on the recruiting of Indiana kids, I’m all for it............if it makes sense!  Don’t get IN kids just to say you got IN kids. Guys like Galloway and Leal?  Absolutely. I’ve coached against one and seen plenty of the other and they are solid Indiana HS players who can make an impact and are both 4 year players. But, we’ve seen examples of guys like Grant Gelon, who frankly wasn’t even the best player on his HS team. Those players don’t make sense. Plus, recruiting the right Indiana HS players keeps the relationships solid with Indiana HS coaches. The previous coaching staff was not on most HS coaches’ Xmas lists in our state. 

So, I’m not in the camp of ONLY getting Indiana kids, but the right ones. 

You wouldn't by chance be with a certain HS program in SouInd?

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Jonathan Bender of the Pacers perhaps?

One of the great players whose game was taken away prematurely by his knees. Broke MJ's McD's game scoring record IIRC. Tremendously talented, would've made the P's so good. However, I remember reading somewhere that he did very well in business after retiring from the NBA.

38 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

One of the great players whose game was taken away prematurely by his knees. Broke MJ's McD's game scoring record IIRC. Tremendously talented, would've made the P's so good. However, I remember reading somewhere that he did very well in business after retiring from the NBA.

Helping others with their bad knees

7 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Obviously the late-April/early-May window for a Kaufman commitment have passed. Is anyone hearing anything new about his potential timetable?

No time table.  However, I am hearing recently that it is down to IU and Virginia now. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No time table.  However, I am hearing recently that it is down to IU and Virginia now. 

If this is the case then I really like our chances. I always thought that Louisville was our biggest competition. But with possible sanctions coming, it makes sense that they are no longer in serious consideration. 

10 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

If this is the case then I really like our chances. I always thought that Louisville was our biggest competition. But with possible sanctions coming, it makes sense that they are no longer in serious consideration. 

That, and if it really is b/w IU and Virginia, then IU sits in a good position because it’s much closer to home (obviously). And I stand by my long-held belief that he won’t go far from home. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the update! I like our chances considering IU has been recruiting him far longer and have built a stronger relationship but it is a little bit worrisome having the newest school already in his top 2.

44 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Thanks for the update! I like our chances considering IU has been recruiting him far longer and have built a stronger relationship but it is a little bit worrisome having the newest school already in his top 2.

You are welcome.  And thanks to you for being a Hoosier Sports Nation member !

i would just like to add. That.  IU was on De'Ron Davis IU early on.  Then late other schools came into the picture.  Before he committed to IU. 

Archived