Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/30/2020 at 11:55 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Romeo, TJD, Lander. Calling this kid the most important recruit? He’s outstanding, but all of those 3 are extremely important to the building of the program under CAM. It seems every year a kid is the most important ever lol. 

Yes I agree but until one of these highly recruited Instate players hangs #6, the next one will always be the most important lol!  Next player up mentality and meant no disrespect to any of them for choosing HSN!

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nothing is a given when you are talking about the tournament.  In 84 UNC had 4 top 10 picks on their roster and still lost to us in the sweet 16.

Yes, just like when we were a #1 seed not long ago to lose in the field of 16 because there was nothing sweet about it!  I do however, like our chances if TJD surprises all to come back for a 3rd yr!  Nothing is given but the odds are so ever in our favor in this scenario.

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Nothing is a given when you are talking about the tournament.  In 84 UNC had 4 top 10 picks on their roster and still lost to us in the sweet 16.

That's because, even though they had MJ,  we had the GOAT.  :coffee:

image.jpeg.e458cb0e34b09f00845427b1948b88cf.jpeg

On 5/31/2020 at 9:22 PM, BornHoosier said:

Yes I agree but until one of these highly recruited Instate players hangs #6, the next one will always be the most important lol!  Next player up mentality and meant no disrespect to any of them for choosing HSN!

You act like hanging a banner is easy. go look  at all the great IU players that didnt. Its a lot my friend.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:29 PM, Hoosierdave said:

That’s why I’m so lost as to why he’s saying he has a “low” confidence level of Kaufman to IU. Maybe it’s not to ruin the kids moment and spill the beans or maybe he thinks if Kentucky offers things become interesting but peegs has literally only logged like 12 predictions over the years so it seems pretty significant if he’s offering up his two cents. 

Just noticed that Peegs changed his confidence on Kaufman from a 3 to a 6, assuming it has something to do with Patterson’s commitment watch. 

On 5/25/2020 at 7:04 PM, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think he is the closer but name the last recruit where he has been the lead recruiter? It’s Ostrom not Archie... I cant tell you how many times a big recruit will say this head coach is recruiting me hard and when they get to Indiana they say Coach Ostrom is recruiting me etc... when you look on 247 and it says lead recruiter it doesn’t say Archie on a lot of them it says Ostrom. If that’s Archie’s way of doing things it’s working and I’m totally fine with it but if Ostrom is making that big of an impact he isn’t as easily replaced like our other assistants. Our other assistants have gotten recruits but all of our BIG recruits such as TJD, Romeo, Lander are all Ostrom not Archie and not other assistants.

I used this text just as a jumping off point.  I’m not focused on this particular post but the overall tenor on Ostrom in a number of posts which IMO is way over the top.

I read the posts on Ostrom with interest.  He seems to be doing a good job connecting with recruits. He’s developing as a coach but the notion that we need to pay him seven figures or the sky is falling if we lose him is way over the top.  

Ostrom does way more than recruiting.  I watch the coaches during games to see who the head coach interacts with the most.  As big of a genius as Knight was, he consulted a lot with Felling and others during games about strategy.   If you watch the current bench, Miller consults with Ostrom the most, easily.  By way of comparison, Coach Schilling might as well have been bird watching because Miller seemingly didn’t know he was in the building.  He was here for player development but it’s no wonder he’s no longer here as he was a non-entity vis a vis strategy, at least with Miller’s program.

So certainly Ostrom has a large role in strategy.  I like Archie and the way the program is headed, particularly in terms of toughness and attitude.  But, you’d be hard pressed to seriously take the position that the staff is out scheming everybody.  Far from it.  This isn’t Knight running on UNLV or taking a 1989 team that got beat by 20 plus by UNC and Syracuse and jury rigging it to run over the B1G.  I hope we see a spark of that genius from the staff but we haven’t seen it yet.  Ostrom obviously as a right hand man is part of that.  These guys are sharp and work hard, and hopefully this is a next level development.  

Regarding recruiting, Ostrom may be terrific at getting out, talking to stakeholders, working his butt off, etc.  But, it’s the head coach that more often than not gets the kid.  Most kids are looking for the chance to develop, reach their goals, and hopefully win.  The head coach is the straw that stirs the drink in this regard.  The plus for Archie is he has a no BS style.  You don’t feel like you’re getting a high pressure sales pitch.  Archie is as straightforward as it gets.  I think that’s relatable and a major factor in landing recruits.

Overall, Ostrom is developing.  He’s good working at recruiting.  He’s involved in basketball strategy.  But, you’d like to see the coaches make some moves where you go “wow, that just stymied the other side and we don’t win without the chess moves.”  That hasn’t happened yet and I say that as somebody who is backing Archie.  

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I used this text just as a jumping off point.  I’m not focused on this particular post but the overall tenor on Ostrom in a number of posts which IMO is way over the top.

I read the posts on Ostrom with interest.  He seems to be doing a good job connecting with recruits. He’s developing as a coach but the notion that we need to pay him seven figures or the sky is falling if we lose him is way over the top.  

Ostrom does way more than recruiting.  I watch the coaches during games to see who the head coach interacts with the most.  As big of a genius as Knight was, he consulted a lot with Felling and others during games about strategy.   If you watch the current bench, Miller consults with Ostrom the most, easily.  By way of comparison, Coach Schilling might as well have been bird watching because Miller seemingly didn’t know he was in the building.  He was here for player development but it’s no wonder he’s no longer here as he was a non-entity vis a vis strategy, at least with Miller’s program.

So certainly Ostrom has a large role in strategy.  I like Archie and the way the program is headed, particularly in terms of toughness and attitude.  But, you’d be hard pressed to seriously take the position that the staff is out scheming everybody.  Far from it.  This isn’t Knight running on UNLV or taking a 1989 team that got beat by 20 plus by UNC and Syracuse and jury rigging it to run over the B1G.  I hope we see a spark of that genius from the staff but we haven’t seen it yet.  Ostrom obviously as a right hand man is part of that.  These guys are sharp and work hard, and hopefully this is a next level development.  

Regarding recruiting, Ostrom may be terrific at getting out, talking to stakeholders, working his butt off, etc.  But, it’s the head coach that more often than not gets the kid.  Most kids are looking for the chance to develop, reach their goals, and hopefully win.  The head coach is the straw that stirs the drink in this regard.  The plus for Archie is he has a no BS style.  You don’t feel like you’re getting a high pressure sales pitch.  Archie is as straightforward as it gets.  I think that’s relatable and a major factor in landing recruits.

Overall, Ostrom is developing.  He’s good working at recruiting.  He’s involved in basketball strategy.  But, you’d like to see the coaches make some moves where you go “wow, that just stymied the other side and we don’t win without the chess moves.”  That hasn’t happened yet and I say that as somebody who is backing Archie.  

You couldn’t have said it any better. There’s no need for IU to pay Ostrom 7 figures until we start winning big and making deep runs in the tournament CONSISTENTLY. 

Ostrom is the only guy on this team that has been involved with a NC team as a coach.  He helped build two in fact.  

Let’s not pretend that we can just replace that easily.  

We are all generally pleased with our recruiting and that is Ostrom.  You can say Archie has to seal the deal but notice how Archie has been able to seal the deal with Ostroms but not Schillings.  It’s an assistants job to set them up so the head coach can knock them down and Ostrom is great at that. 

41 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Ostrom is the only guy on this team that has been involved with a NC team as a coach.  He helped build two in fact.  

Let’s not pretend that we can just replace that easily.  

We are all generally pleased with our recruiting and that is Ostrom.  You can say Archie has to seal the deal but notice how Archie has been able to seal the deal with Ostroms but not Schillings.  It’s an assistants job to set them up so the head coach can knock them down and Ostrom is great at that. 

It's Archie's program. IU will go as Archie goes, not Tom Ostrom. Don't get me wrong, Ostrom is a great assistant coach, no doubt, but he's not the only good/great assistant coach available. IU has recruited McDonald's All-Americans before Tom Ostrom and will recruit them after he's gone from IU. IU has locked up top 100 recruits long before Ostom got here and will continue too long after he's gone. 

I hope he stays as long as possible because he's absolutely an asset to the program, but it won't worry me if/when he leaves. IU has always attracted good/great assistant coaches and Archie is a really respected guy. Good assistants will be available for IU. 

Also, Ostrom was not on the staff at Florida when they won National Championships. He was at Florida for 7 seasons, 5 as an admin/video coordinator and the final two (ending in 2004) as an assistant coach. 

He was an assistant at Alabama when Florida won their titles. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's Archie's program. IU will go as Archie goes, not Tom Ostrom. Don't get me wrong, Ostrom is a great assistant coach, no doubt, but he's not the only good/great assistant coach available. IU has recruited McDonald's All-Americans before Tom Ostrom and will recruit them after he's gone from IU. IU has locked up top 100 recruits long before Ostom got here and will continue too long after he's gone. 

I hope he stays as long as possible because he's absolutely an asset to the program, but it won't worry me if/when he leaves. IU has always attracted good/great assistant coaches and Archie is a really respected guy. Good assistants will be available for IU. 

Also, Ostrom was not on the staff at Florida when they won National Championships. He was at Florida for 7 seasons, 5 as an admin/video coordinator and the final two (ending in 2004) as an assistant coach. 

Never forgot the time. When Coach Knight turned recruiting over to Dan Dakich.  To go to his other passion..... fishing.

Bob Knight Fishing Promotional Video 

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He recruited the players that were the core to those two titles.

It’s so funny people are underwhelmed by our assistants in the past but then when it comes time to give credit to one we pretend like they don’t matter. 

We as a fan base are demanding of consistency  you don’t think losing your lead recruiter is going to throw a wrench into that?  Especially if the replacement hire doesn’t work out  

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s so funny people are underwhelmed by our assistants in the past but then when it comes time to give credit to one we pretend like they don’t matter. 

We as a fan base are demanding of consistency  you don’t think losing your lead recruiter is going to throw a wrench into that?  Especially if the replacement hire doesn’t work out  

Nothing in Gleas's post says the assistants don't matter. He said he's absolutely an asset to the program. He said he hopes he stays as long as possible. But he also said, correctly, that IU has always attracted good/great assistants and CAM is really respected. The thing about really good assistants is that eventually they will move on to build their own head coaching resumes, or otherwise to better their careers. 

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I hardly said any of the things you're saying here. I've never said I've been underwhelmed by IU's assistants, and to be honest I think the people who do say that don't really know what they're talking about.

I've said Ostom is really important. But, Ostrom is not irreplaceable. IU will always attract good assistant coaches. As said, I hope he's here for a long, long time, but this is Archie's program, not Tom Ostrom's. If IU is successful it will be because of Archie Miller and the players his program recruits. IU has always recruited well. IU recruited well with Bob Knight, Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Tom Crean, and has recruited well with Archie Miller. 

Again, Ostrom is a great assistant coach. But he is going to leave. IU will be fine when he does leave. 

At Florida Billy Donovan won 2 National Titles, went to another 2 Final Fours (4 total), and another 3 Elite 8's  (7 total) and none of those teams had Tom Ostrom on the bench as an assistant coach. He was an actual assistant coach there for 2 seasons. 

I'm sure Tom Ostrom played a role in recruiting Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Corey Brewer, Taurean Green and Lee Humphrey, but I also highly doubt the 3rd assistant on the staff (first year ever as an assistant the year most of those guys were recruited), was the main recruiter or main reason all those guys went to Florida. 

One more time, I think Ostrom is great and I hope he stays at IU for a long time. But, this program is in Archie's hands, not Ostrom's. If Ostrom does leave, Archie will replace him with another strong assistant. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I hardly said any of the things you're saying here. I've never said I've been underwhelmed by IU's assistants, and to be honest I think the people who do say that don't really know what they're talking about.

I've said Ostom is really important. But, Ostrom is not irreplaceable. IU will always attract good assistant coaches. As said, I hope he's here for a long, long time, but this is Archie's program, not Tom Ostrom's. If IU is successful it will be because of Archie Miller and the players his program recruits. IU has always recruited well. IU recruited well with Bob Knight, Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Tom Crean, and has recruited well with Archie Miller. 

Again, Ostrom is a great assistant coach. But he is going to leave. IU will be fine when he does leave. 

At Florida Billy Donovan won 2 National Titles, went to another 2 Final Fours (4 total), and another 3 Elite 8's  (7 total) and none of those teams had Tom Ostrom on the bench as an assistant coach. He was an actual assistant coach there for 2 seasons. 

I'm sure Tom Ostrom played a role in recruiting Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Corey Brewer, Taurean Green and Lee Humphrey, but I also highly doubt the 3rd assistant on the staff (first year ever as an assistant the year most of those guys were recruited), was the main recruiter or main reason all those guys went to Florida. 

One more time, I think Ostrom is great and I hope he stays at IU for a long time. But, this program is in Archie's hands, not Ostrom's. If Ostrom does leave, Archie will replace him with another strong assistant. 

We hope Archie will replace him with another strong assistant. There’s no guarantee we will 

http://grantland.com/features/joakim-noah-chicago-bulls-nba-florida-gators-ncaa-championship-derrick-rose/

Replacing good people sounds easy.  If it were we wouldn’t have had a series of unsuccessful coaches 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

We hope Archie will replace him with another strong assistant. There’s no guarantee we will 

http://grantland.com/features/joakim-noah-chicago-bulls-nba-florida-gators-ncaa-championship-derrick-rose/

Replacing good people sounds easy.  If it were we wouldn’t have had a series of unsuccessful coaches 

Yeah, replacing good people isn’t easy. But Indiana is still a destination school and Archie is a respected coach. I’m sure he’ll find a good assistant when/if Ostrom leaves. I’m sure he has a short list ready to call. 

Also, I can’t really even think of a really good coach who had his program derailed because an assistant left? I’m sure it’s happened and I’m just going off the top of my head, but I can’t think of one. The top coaches and top programs have assistants leave for head coaching jobs, it’s part of the deal. 

Archived