Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

The longer this plays out and how he talks...it feels like he is just looking for a reason not to pick IU

Think of it this way.  Basketball is the most important factor in his decision, but it is not the only factor.  And, I personally think some of those other factors are advantageous to IU.  This is not a Keion Brooks situation where basketball was the sole factor in the kid's choice of colleges.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Think of it this way.  Basketball is the most important factor in his decision, but it is not the only factor.  And, I personally think some of those other factors are advantageous to IU.  This is not a Keion Brooks situation where basketball was the sole factor in the kid's choice of colleges.  

I hear you. The academics side IU has it....he’s probably just doing his due diligence...

14 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Not for physics which is what he's stated he wants to be his major.

Yeah and Romeo wants to be an engineer.  Why would any basketball player with NBA aspirations want to major in physics?  That requires countless hours in the library in addition to all the athletic requirements.   It's just not feasible. 

1 hour ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Really?  The site I checked for Top Physics programs had UVA listed before IU, but maybe I’m wrong. Either way, still don’t think he’ll go far from home. 

USNews ranks IU at #37 and UVA at #42 overall in Physics programs...

Depending on what kind of physics he wants to study, IU is #7 nationally in nuclear physics programs...

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah and Romeo wants to be an engineer.  Why would any basketball player with NBA aspirations want to major in physics?  That requires countless hours in the library in addition to all the athletic requirements.   It's just not feasible. 

Trey comes from a family stocked with educators.  Having NBA aspirations and being committed to academics do not have to be mutually exclusive.  

I think it’s safe to say IU has more advantages than disadvantages for Trey but if he doesn’t come to IU it will be primarily related to things the staff can’t control. No one has put in more time and effort to build a relationship than our staff and it seems like Trey acknowledges and appreciates that. 

26 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well Allan Henderson was pre Med

As a science guy, who spent a fair amount of time in Swain Hall myself, I love this.  If Trey is enthusiastic for physics, I think it would be a great major.  

Leathernecks teaches physics so he can weigh in.  But, physics is an incredibly versatile major.  The obvious thought for a basketball player is that physics will develop his analytical mind tremendously.  He will also be required to take a considerable amount of math.  With the way that analytics is taking off, I’d imagine that an NBA front office would love an accomplished ex-player who is also intimately comfortable with math and analytics.  

Beyond sports, physics people are in demand in a variety of ways.  With the development of so many revolutionary technologies, a physics degree is useful in many erupting fields like VR and AI, not to mention many other technologies.  Believe it or not, Wall Street has analysts with physics backgrounds, especially guys with advanced degrees if he’s so inclined.  He could go into patent law (which requires a science or engineering degree prior to law school) and likely be in high demand.  He could also be a teacher as his family is full of educators per 5Fouls. 

I am all for it if that’s where his enthusiasm lies.  With the way athletes are afforded opportunities to spread out their credits with the tactical use of summers, I think it is eminently do-able.  He’s famously a very bright young man.  The sky is the limit.  

@Leathernecks

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Weren't his parents both MDs?  Completely different scenario. 

Why does that matter?  Trey is an extremely bright young man with a passion for physics.  His mother is a teacher.  Trey's intelligence and his passion for physics does not change if she had a different profession.    

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why because Allan still had to put the work in the classroom just like Trey will have to

Didn't Mr. Henderson's parents (parent) have ties to University of Michigan?  I think I remember something about that when he was being recruited. 

7 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

See what happens when you get old? You can't remember anything and you mess up your facts constantly. lol

Scott, I hope all is well with you my Hoosier friend. 

My problem is that I can remember more from the past than I can from the last few years.  Today when I was going through my heart x-ray I tried to remember every team in each final four.  I was able to get most of them from 76-11 but had some trouble from then on.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My problem is that I can remember more from the past than I can from the last few years.  Today when I was going through my heart x-ray I tried to remember every team in each final four.  I was able to get most of them from 76-11 but had some trouble from then on.

You are a head and shoulders ahead of me. I can't remember who was in the last final four.

Archived