Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was listening to Coyle and Leary yesterday and they had an IU basketball reporter on the show.  They all thought that it was going to be a long wait for Kaufman to commit anywhere.

I will be very surprised if Kaufman drags this into the high school season.  I think he will want to be 100% focused on winning a state championship.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I will be very surprised if Kaufman drags this into the high school season.  I think he will want to be 100% focused on winning a state championship.

Probably shouldn't listen to what they take do seriously.  They did say that the 87 team besides Alford did not have highly ranked recruits.  I guess they did not realize that Calloway and Thomas were McDonald's all-american

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Probably shouldn't listen to what they take do seriously.  They did say that the 87 team besides Alford did not have highly ranked recruits.  I guess they did not realize that Calloway and Thomas were McDonald's all-american

Yah, I wouldn’t take everything they say to serious. Todd Leary once said if Rob Phinisee doesn’t shoot the ball well from 3 next year; Lander, Leal, and Galloway would all start over Rob. Lander could but Galloway and Leal aren’t going to fill that role next year. 

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I agree. Just don't see the sense in it. What more could happen to truly influence his opinion? Wayyyyy different than Romeo. 

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think they were talking about until spring but they don't think it will be in the next couple of months.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Do you ever rest ? Seems like you are bringing more IU information out than ever before, during this pandemic. It has not gone unnoticed , nor not appreciated. Thanks for all you do.  And please stay safe. 

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He’s waiting on a school it seems.  Would’ve lost a lot of money in spring time if you could’ve bet if he would be committed or not by now

I don't think that's it.  As meaningful as a UK offer may be, I don't think he would choose them even if he was offered.  My speculation is that there is an offer already in hand that is away from the area (i.e. Virginia) that is appealing enough to him that he wants to wait and see the campus.

I've always considered Virginia to be a wild card in this if he decided to go somewhere away from home, and If you think back to the timing of all the talk that he was ready to commit, that's when Virginia started recruiting him harder, and they came out with the official offer shortly thereafter.

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think that's it.  As meaningful as a UK offer may be, I don't think he would choose them even if he was offered.  My speculation is that there is an offer already in hand that is away from the area (i.e. Virginia) that is appealing enough to him that he wants to wait and see the campus.

I've always considered Virginia to be a wild card in this if he decided to go somewhere away from home, and If you think back to the timing of all the talk that he was ready to commit, that's when Virginia started recruiting him harder, and they came out with the official offer shortly thereafter.

Not saying Trey will not eventually pick IU but to me this is a little concerning that he might not be sold on IU

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not saying Trey will not eventually pick IU but to me this is a little concerning that he might not be sold on IU

Patience.

• Galloway verbally committed on July 26th
  • Leal verbally committed on August 9th
  • Geronimo verbally committed on September 2nd

And, let's not forget that this spring/summer has been a cluster for the entire country, let alone a high school kid trying to make the biggest decision of his life.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He is making a major decision and he is a very thoughtful guy that sees no reason to rush anything.  From our standpoint it may seem to be dragging along.  From his, it is a huge decision that has been screwed up by the pandemic and he still have plenty of time.  Even if he is 90/10 pro IU, and I am not saying he is, there is still no need to rush it if you look at it from his vantage point.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

People fret about recruits all the time and try to read the tea leaves based on things like how long it's taking to commit. Sometimes taking longer than expected can be a sign the recruit will choose somewhere else (Brooks) and other times it just means he's weighing his options carefully but will still ultimately choose IU (Leal).

I don't know about this site but on the other site when Leal didn't commit on the spot when getting the IU offer and then didn't commit even a few days later, there were people predicting doom and gloom and pronouncing "he gone." Obviously, that worked out in IU's favor unlike when Brooks dragged out his commitment and ended up at UK. I'm sure people could look back through recruiting history and find plenty of examples of each.

This recruitment will take as long as it takes. Just because you're a huge IU fan and would commit on the spot doesn't mean the players will. You say you'd also turn down $10M/yr to stay in college so maybe what you'd do isn't best comparison to make. Even if you're not consciously doing that it's probably happening to some extent which is why him taking his time is worrying to you. Hopefully he'll ultimately choose IU but we won't know until he's ready to decide. I don't think that will happen until things open up enough for him to make some visits. 

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I really dont think he is waiting just Covid has changed the timeline.  It's also nice to be pursued.

In his interview with TDH, he talks about about visiting campuses.  I'm not sure how much Covid has impacted that aspect of recruiting up to this point.  Now, if September and October come and kids can't make official visits, then, yes, that is significant. 

Now, if we're talking face to face interaction with coaches?  Yes, Covid has impacted that big time.  

Archived