Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

9 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I think Clemson has offered now....i hope hes not telling coaches hes still wide open...things seem to be picking up since the rumors of a commitment 

Nothing against anyone. Fans or their family. Seems to me somewhere along the way his imminent verbal to IU has been nixed and those around him are saying he wants to be recruited. Again....nothing wrong with that one bit. When multiple schools keep coming with others it says they've been told by someone that yes the kid is looking around. No harm in doing that. I like our position but whatever the kid and his family want to do....cool by me. This IU train is moving. Hopefully he wants to be part of that. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I think Clemson has offered now....i hope hes not telling coaches hes still wide open...things seem to be picking up since the rumors of a commitment 

If I recall correctly, Clemson was the first high profile school to come to Silver Creek to watch him at practice during his sophomore season. Think they came up multiple times that season.  Had not heard of them since, so I had assumed they had moved on.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Nothing against anyone. Fans or their family. Seems to me somewhere along the way his imminent verbal to IU has been nixed and those around him are saying he wants to be recruited. Again....nothing wrong with that one bit. When multiple schools keep coming with others it says they've been told by someone that yes the kid is looking around. No harm in doing that. I like our position but whatever the kid and his family want to do....cool by me. This IU train is moving. Hopefully he wants to be part of that. 

Could be the imminent verbal to IU was a myth.  I can say for certain that neither me nor my son ever heard anything that remotely resembled that IU was in the lead for him.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Could be the imminent verbal to IU was a myth.  I can say for certain that neither me nor my son ever heard anything that remotely resembled that IU was in the lead for him.  

The myth must have been rampant. Far majority was saying IU this past spring. Oh well. No harm in a recruiting process but as we all know the crazies start coming out when an IU lean is now seemingly open to other schools get involved. I'm almost feel like it's a trap used by other staffs against us. Let everyone think strong IU lean....no one recruits the player and once other schools get involved IU fans will trash said recruit and recruit decides to go elsewhere. Haha.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

The myth must have been rampant. Far majority was saying IU this past spring. Oh well. No harm in a recruiting process but as we all know the crazies start coming out when an IU lean is now seemingly open to other schools get involved. I'm almost feel like it's a trap used by other staffs against us. Let everyone think strong IU lean....no one recruits the player and once other schools get involved IU fans will trash said recruit and recruit decides to go elsewhere. Haha.

I have a feeling that the 'myth' was based on the combination of the following:

- The thought that he wanted to stay close to home.

- Purdue got a commitment from Furst

- Louisville has significant NCAA trouble

- UK's culture is not a fit and they likely will not even offer.

That left IU and Xavier from his offers at the time.  IU usually wins in that comparison.  

Now, if you read TDH's interview, there is a hint that location may not be an absolute barrier.  

My personal belief is that Purdue was a real player until Furst committed.  I still think that Furst going there is a hard stop.  

But, if location is not the barrier we thought, Virginia could be the main competition.  And, it is worth noting that the Cavs are not just jumping in.  They were looking at him last summer, at about the same time as IU got heavily involved.

And, academics will be important.

I personally am not worried about offers from Clemson, Wake Forest, Texas A &M, or some other late to the party program.  

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If I recall correctly, Clemson was the first high profile school to come to Silver Creek to watch him at practice during his sophomore season. Think they came up multiple times that season.  Had not heard of them since, so I had assumed they had moved on.

I think you are correct 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I have a feeling that the 'myth' was based on the combination of the following:

- The thought that he wanted to stay close to home.

- Purdue got a commitment from Furst

- Louisville has significant NCAA trouble

- UK's culture is not a fit and they likely will not even offer.

That left IU and Xavier from his offers at the time.  IU usually wins in that comparison.  

Now, if you read TDH's interview, there is a hint that location may not be an absolute barrier.  

My personal belief is that Purdue was a real player until Furst committed.  I still think that Furst going there is a hard stop.  

But, if location is not the barrier we thought, Virginia could be the main competition.  And, it is worth noting that the Cavs are not just jumping in.  They were looking at him last summer, at about the same time as IU got heavily involved.

And, academics will be important.

I personally am not worried about offers from Clemson, Wake Forest, Texas A &M, or some other late to the party program.  

Only thing for me is this. Virginia didn't offer until this spring. If they were heavily involved last summer why not offer? Trey is one of 4-5 kids who was Gatorade National Player of Year in Indiana as a junior ever....which means you don't wait. You offer.

The timeline and actions from other schools tells me someone within the TK camp has let it be known that he wants to be recruited. Again no harm in that at all. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Only thing for me is this. Virginia didn't offer until this spring. If they were heavily involved last summer why not offer? Trey is one of 4-5 kids who was Gatorade National Player of Year in Indiana as a junior ever....which means you don't wait. You offer.

The timeline and actions from other schools tells me someone within the TK camp has let it be known that he wants to be recruited. Again no harm in that at all. 

There were two things that jumped out at me when I read TDH's interview.  The first was the statement that his mom would move to wherever he played.  I never considered that.  I considered it something she would do if/when he went pro, but never considered it a possibility with college because of how close the extended family is, and most of them are right here in Sellersburg.

Bloomington is a lot closer than Charlottesville (1.5 hours compared to 7.5 hours), but when you start talking conference road games, the ACC is not much worse than the Big Ten if you are starting in Sellersburg.  Sure, the ACC has Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Syracuse, and Boston College, but the Big Ten has Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska.  

The second thing that caught my eye in the interview was this:

What is the latest with Indiana’s recruitment of you?

TK:  Coach Miller has started contacting me more, whereas before I really didn’t talk to him, I talked to Coach (Tom) Ostrom most of the time.  Building that relationship with Coach Miller has been better.

I might be wrong, but I believe, until recently, Tony Bennett has been more involved for Virginia than Archie has been for IU, as evidenced by Trey's statement above.  

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There were two things that jumped out at me when I read TDH's interview.  The first was the statement that his mom would move to wherever he played.  I never considered that.  I considered it something she would do if/when he went pro, but never considered it a possibility with college because of how close the extended family is, and most of them are right here in Sellersburg.

Bloomington is a lot closer than Charlottesville (1.5 hours compared to 7.5 hours), but when you start talking conference road games, the ACC is not much worse than the Big Ten if you are starting in Sellersburg.  Sure, the ACC has Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Syracuse, and Boston College, but the Big Ten has Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska.  

The second thing that caught my eye in the interview was this:

What is the latest with Indiana’s recruitment of you?

TK:  Coach Miller has started contacting me more, whereas before I really didn’t talk to him, I talked to Coach (Tom) Ostrom most of the time.  Building that relationship with Coach Miller has been better.

I might be wrong, but I believe, until recently, Tony Bennett has been more involved for Virginia than Archie has been for IU, as evidenced by Trey's statement above.  

Yep. All signs of something. Time will tell what they mean but I think most if not all fans read those statements and paused. Either way wish the kid good luck. Hope it's with us. If not...cool on that too. Romeo, TJD, Lander....plenty think we have something special. 

Who knows. Maybe he wants to get out of the bubble of southern Indiana. While IU is close to home and can afford his family to see him easier etc some kids want to get out into the world. Also, given the current climate in this country even though IU is pretty diverse as far as Indiana goes there is no doubt say Virginia has more African American students (I believe it was almost twice)....and I looked where as boy/girl ratio is almost 50-50 at IU at Virginia it is 55-45 girls to boys at UV. None of that might matter....but these are some things that say UV can offer a kid that wants a more diverse surrounding for his education.

I think everyone needs to RELAX. I thought what he said about IU was encouraging. My guess he probably just wants to take some visit out of state to make sure IU is for sure the place he wants to be. If it was me I’d want to take a few visits around so I at least had some schools I could compare each other to.. only thing that would worry me would be UK offer. Virginia seems to be biggest competition but I think he picks IU in the end just like Leal did. 

6 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I think everyone needs to RELAX. I thought what he said about IU was encouraging. My guess he probably just wants to take some visit out of state to make sure IU is for sure the place he wants to be. If it was me I’d want to take a few visits around so I at least had some schools I could compare each other to.. only thing that would worry me would be UK offer. Virginia seems to be biggest competition but I think he picks IU in the end just like Leal did. 

Curious as to why you would be worried about a UK offer.  

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Curious as to why you would be worried about a UK offer.  

I just think there a few programs where you get an offer that makes you stop and take a serious look no matter how sold you are on another school. I think UK would be a mistake because he isn’t a 1 and done guy or maybe not even a 2 and done guy. He could be in college for 3 years but UK would definitely be A threat. We all know how Cal can sell stuff to kids... But if your Trey how do you not look at the success of Morgan and TJD under Archie and say that’s where I wanna go!? Trey is going to be in a perfect position to slid in and be the next great big under Archie right after TJD. I think he sees that and ultimately ends up at IU. With Duncomb at the 5 TK would have the ability to fit nicely into his natural position at the 4. It really is a great fit. He seems smart and I’m confident he will make right choice. why rush it? The only pro would be to commit so he can recruit other guys like Aminu and Wesley to join him. 

16 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I just think there a few programs where you get an offer that makes you stop and take a serious look no matter how sold you are on another school. I think UK would be a mistake because he isn’t a 1 and done guy or maybe not even a 2 and done guy. He could be in college for 3 years but UK would definitely be A threat. We all know how Cal can sell stuff to kids... But if your Trey how do you not look at the success of Morgan and TJD under Archie and say that’s where I wanna go!? Trey is going to be in a perfect position to slid in and be the next great big under Archie right after TJD. I think he sees that and ultimately ends up at IU. With Duncomb at the 5 TK would have the ability to fit nicely into his natural position at the 4. It really is a great fit. He seems smart and I’m confident he will make right choice. why rush it? The only pro would be to commit so he can recruit other guys like Aminu and Wesley to join him. 

For Kaufmann I would not worry about UK but the one that would worry me is UVA.  UVA is one of the top academic institutions on the country and one of the most beautiful campuses as well.  UVA also has been one of the top basketball programs the last 10 years and Bennett is one of the top coaches.  When I saw that his mother is going to move where ever he goes to school I wondered how that would work out when it comes to her job.

52 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I'm not sure that UK's culture would be appealing to Trey.  

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For Kaufmann I would not worry about UK but the one that would worry me is UVA.  UVA is one of the top academic institutions on the country and one of the most beautiful campuses as well.  UVA also has been one of the top basketball programs the last 10 years and Bennett is one of the top coaches.  When I saw that his mother is going to move where ever he goes to school I wondered how that would work out when it comes to her job.

She is a teacher. In other words, a job that is transferrable to anywhere in the country.  

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

From my observation, that's a mere formality for a degreed teacher with experience.

I agree but and we know there would be no wrong doing in this case.  It would not be the same situation as Zion's family living in a $500,000 house.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree but and we know there would be no wrong doing in this case.  It would not be the same situation as Zion's family living in a $500,000 house.

No question.  I'm guessing teachers and nurses can pretty much get a job wherever they want in this country.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

As of now they are the biggest threat but Trey did say it would be a benefit to stay closer to home. 

Archived