Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Did he get that much better or is it he isnt playing against older kids anymore. The other team looked like the Washington Generals. Pace of the game was really slow. That shows when Trey drove from the wing for a dunk. A really nice move but so much faster then any other high light shown. His shooting looked better but just like shooting alone in the driveway, no pressure.

No doubt the competition was poor. If not for the fact we’ve seen him against good competition I wouldn’t be impressed by what I see but you can see the kid looks comfortable with the ball in his hands, runs the court extremely well, and overall looks smooth on the court.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree. The other team was useless.  You saw his skill set to some degree but it’s a fairly useless video. It’s one thing to drive against those guys and another to do it against Jordan Geronimo.   Those teams should never have been scheduled with each other.  I’m not sure the other team should have existed but we know about the money-making aspect where parents feed money.  

Playing each other sure...but nothing wrong with lower level teams giving a chance to kids that want to improve for their HS teams and get work in during the summer. I suspect scheduling is almost impossible along with travel for these teams so just getting games in is a chore. Probably another local team but definitely junior competition.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Playing each other sure...but nothing wrong with lower level teams giving a chance to kids that want to improve for their HS teams and get work in during the summer. I suspect scheduling is almost impossible along with travel for these teams so just getting games in is a chore. Probably another local team but definitely junior competition.

Yes.  I agree.  I’m all for kids playing but they should play in another division.  Hopefully the parents’ eyes are wide open because this can be a financial hardship.  Unfortunately, a lot of parents can’t see, or have any grip on, reality.  

My nephew is in the AAU world.   He played JV ball for his high school team and led them in scoring at 16 ppg.  His parents are 6’2 and 5’8 so we kind of assumed he’d top out at 6’3.  But he’s 6’1 or so now so hard to say.  He moves up to varsity this year so we will see where he stands.  We don’t have any illusion he’s a D1 recruit but there are some parents who are off the rails.  

He’s a tough kid who is skilled but not a D1 talent.  He lives in the DMV.  To give an example, they were playing an inner city school team who were kind of mocking the suburban team.  Some inner city kid tried to intimidate them and pulled a cheap elbow.  Next time down my nephew literally went in there and bowled the other kid over to send a message.  The coach on the record reprimanded him.  Off the record, he told his dad (my brother) that he LOVED it.  

36 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yes.  I agree.  I’m all for kids playing but they should play in another division.  Hopefully the parents’ eyes are wide open because this can be a financial hardship.  Unfortunately, a lot of parents can’t see, or have any grip on, reality.  

My nephew is in the AAU world.   He played JV ball for his high school team and led them in scoring at 16 ppg.  His parents are 6’2 and 5’8 so we kind of assumed he’d top out at 6’3.  But he’s 6’1 or so now so hard to say.  He moves up to varsity this year so we will see where he stands.  We don’t have any illusion he’s a D1 recruit but there are some parents who are off the rails.  

He’s a tough kid who is skilled but not a D1 talent.  He lives in the DMV.  To give an example, they were playing an inner city school team who were kind of mocking the suburban team.  Some inner city kid tried to intimidate them and pulled a cheap elbow.  Next time down my nephew literally went in there and bowled the other kid over to send a message.  The coach on the record reprimanded him.  Off the record, he told his dad (my brother) that he LOVED it.  

Oh I know there are some clueless parents who want to live vicariously through their kids. Just saying these kids probably are in a different level or whatever but due to Covid and travel and scheduling issues it’s hard to get top level teams together to play. Probably played because they were local and easy to schedule.  I agree many would be better served playing multiple sports and enjoying what that can offer than some wild b-ball dream but if the kid is having fun and the parents can afford it more power to them. Better than kids running around and getting into trouble.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Did he get that much better or is it he isnt playing against older kids anymore. The other team looked like the Washington Generals. Pace of the game was really slow. That shows when Trey drove from the wing for a dunk. A really nice move but so much faster then any other high light shown. His shooting looked better but just like shooting alone in the driveway, no pressure.

He has worked his tail off since the start of the pandemic.

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I love this kind of stuff...makes this my absolute favorite IU fan forum. 👍

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Here come the offers he was waiting on.

This feels different than TJD’s recruitment but I remember hearing peegs on a radio show say that he didn’t receive as many scholarship offers because so many schools were under the impression it would be impossible to catch up to IU and felt it would be a waste of time/effort. Fingers crossed it would be the same here. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He's been criminally underranked by Rivals all along.  Good to see that he's finally getting the recognition he deserves from them.

If that is the case, then you would have to question why Calipari and Coach K were not on him to begin with.  Do they need Rivals to tell them who is worthy to pursue?  We were on him early because we have a staff that was able to identify talent without the internet.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If that is the case, then you would have to question why Calipari and Coach K were not on him to begin with.  Do they need Rivals to tell them who is worthy to pursue?  We were on him early because we have a staff that was able to identify talent without the internet.

A UK assistant has been recruiting Trey.  And, Trey attended last year's Big Blue Madness.  UK will sniff around because he's 'local'.  And, Cal does recruit some in the 25-40 range.

As far as Duke is concerned, I'm not sure Top 40 is what they are looking at.  They tend to stay focused on the Top 20.

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He's been criminally underranked by Rivals all along.  Good to see that he's finally getting the recognition he deserves from them.

Other people can weigh in here, but I’ve been most impressed with 247’s rankings in basketball and especially football.  ESPN is totally useless as they just don’t pump in the resources. Rivals used to be good but there seemed to be an exodus from there and 247 benefitted.  I really only follow what 247 says in both sports.  And no one is perfect.  It’s difficult to avoid group think or implicit biases.  

54 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A UK assistant has been recruiting Trey.  And, Trey attended last year's Big Blue Madness.  UK will sniff around because he's 'local'.  And, Cal does recruit some in the 25-40 range.

As far as Duke is concerned, I'm not sure Top 40 is what they are looking at.  They tend to stay focused on the Top 20.

Yes sir I agree completely. Still bitter about Cal swooping in at the last minute and stealing the Ketchup Kid......

1 hour ago, Sark said:

What about 247 impresses you?

I like the track record of the guys they have.  Allen Trieu on the football side, for example, has been doing this awhile, has great contacts, does the hard work, and makes a lot of sense.  I think he’s a sharp guy.  He’s just one example.  Overall I trust the guys from 247.  

10 hours ago, Sark said:

Neither Cal nor K nor Miller nor any other coach need Rivals or 247 rankings to evaluate talent and know whom to recruit. Internet sites are for fans, not coaches, and the “recognition” is for those fans.

It was s shot at them being late to the game and only offering when he "blew up".

Thanks for setting me straight though Lieutenant Literal (not quite accomplished enough to be Captain Obvious.)

Archived