Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I usually have no inside info but I heard from a pretty close source to the situation yesterday that he is down to IU and Louisville with Virginia as the dark horse if he gets a chance to visit. Nothing earth shattering there but thought I’d share. 

Thanks for the info.  Virginia actually concerns me more than Louisville.  But, being close to home has always been something mentioned with Trey.  

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thanks for the info.  Virginia actually concerns me more than Louisville.  But, being close to home has always been something mentioned with Trey.  

Either of the two scare me.  Louisville has been recruiting good since Mack arrived and its close to home and Virginia, well they just won a national title and seem to always be near the top as of late.  The longer this goes without a commitment, the more I worry.  No insight info here, however, if I had to put a percentage I'd go the following:

IU - 50%

UL - 25%

UVA - 25%

57 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Either of the two scare me.  Louisville has been recruiting good since Mack arrived and its close to home and Virginia, well they just won a national title and seem to always be near the top as of late.  The longer this goes without a commitment, the more I worry.  No insight info here, however, if I had to put a percentage I'd go the following:

IU - 50%

UL - 25%

UVA - 25%

As far as the timing going, worrying you.  Don't worry. Trey is a very analytic young man.  He is going to take his time. And will consider ALL his options.

6 hours ago, 5 championships said:

I usually have no inside info but I heard from a pretty close source to the situation yesterday that he is down to IU and Louisville with Virginia as the dark horse if he gets a chance to visit. Nothing earth shattering there but thought I’d share. 

Losing an in state kid to a team/program who is still waiting on punishment for committing major violations while being on probation for major violations?? I know all these kids are great and come from great families, all have 4.0 GPA's, donate their time at homeless shelters, etc....but that would be a tough one to stomach. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Losing an in state kid to a team/program who is still waiting on punishment for committing major violations while being on probation for major violations?? I know all these kids are great and come from great families, all have 4.0 GPA's, donate their time at homeless shelters, etc....but that would be a tough one to stomach. 

I get that he’s an in-state kid, but he lives 15 minutes from UofL and grew up a die hard UofL fan. Having said that, UofL did upset the family at least once that I know of (heard it’s been resolved since), but like another poster said....he’s going to make an educated decision for sure. If UofL was such a slam dunk, my guess is he would’ve already popped by now. I truly believe UofL is 3rd or 4th in line right now, but that’s just my opinion.  

12 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

I get that he’s an in-state kid, but he lives 15 minutes from UofL and grew up a die hard UofL fan. Having said that, UofL did upset the family at least once that I know of (heard it’s been resolved since), but like another poster said....he’s going to make an educated decision for sure. If UofL was such a slam dunk, my guess is he would’ve already popped by now. I truly believe UofL is 3rd or 4th in line right now, but that’s just my opinion.  

Been hearing UVA is only other contender after IU. 

12 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Sounds like a great kid and by all accounts from here and others great family, smart in the classroom,etc....

I guess my point wasn't about their process. It's the who in the process.  I'd be ticked about Virginia but I can get it. National champion coach. Excellent academics. Big time conference,etc... Again...I'd be ticked but I can take that one.

We shouldn't be losing anyone to Louisville right now. Just my two cents.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like a great kid and by all accounts from here and others great family, smart in the classroom,etc....

I guess my point wasn't about their process. It's the who in the process.  I'd be ticked about Virginia but I can get it. National champion coach. Excellent academics. Big time conference,etc... Again...I'd be ticked but I can take that one.

I think it’s pretty plainly obvious that probation, infractions, and scandals mean about squat when it comes to recruiting and deciding on a program for 99% of these top flight kids. Is the coach going to still be there is all that matters because playing time, program fit, coaching, and getting to the pros is what counts for these top recruits. UL, LSU, Arizona and a whole host more continue to get the creme of the crop and so did UK and UNC and a whole bunch of other schools with red flags. You can be on probation and still get drafted and these kids know good and well nothing will happen to those schools. All they worry is about a coaching change which would change philosophy, style of play, and losing playing time. We all know nobody is getting fired and nobody is missing the tourney...except Montana St. if they use the wrong phone to text a recruit they will get the death penalty but UL etc... yeah right. The kids  priority and us fans priorities aren’t the same. That should be clear.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think it’s pretty plainly obvious that probation, infractions, and scandals mean about squat when it comes to recruiting and deciding on a program for 99% of these top flight kids. Is the coach going to still be there is all that matters because playing time, program fit, coaching, and getting to the pros is what counts for these top recruits. UL, LSU, Arizona and a whole host more continue to get the creme of the crop and so did UK and UNC and a whole bunch of other schools with red flags. You can be on probation and still get drafted and these kids know good and well nothing will happen to those schools. All they worry is about a coaching change which would change philosophy, style of play, and losing playing time. We all know nobody is getting fired and nobody is missing the tourney...except Montana St. if they use the wrong phone to text a recruit they will get the death penalty but UL etc... yeah right. The kids  priority and us fans priorities aren’t the same. That should be clear.

Two things. First...yep. Second..."they will get the death penalty" should be replaced with they will "self impose" the death penalty. 

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Nothing will ever change unless they hit the schools where it really hurts.  Take away their ability to be on tv, and tv revenue.  If this was done, schools would police themselves.  

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yeah I don’t disagree with any of that. 

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And yes, he really is an outstanding person. Truly. Sounds cliche, as people say that about plenty of kids and players. But he’s an amazing kid. Great heart, great mind, terrific family, etc. Everything you said. He’s a coach’s dream to be honest. I know firsthand. He’s one of those kids that if he chooses a different school, you can actually still support him (or at least I will) because he’s an A+ human being. As I’ve told others, he’s all dinner and no dessert. 

19 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

And yes, he really is an outstanding person. Truly. Sounds cliche, as people say that about plenty of kids and players. But he’s an amazing kid. Great heart, great mind, terrific family, etc. Everything you said. He’s a coach’s dream to be honest. I know firsthand. He’s one of those kids that if he chooses a different school, you can actually still support him (or at least I will) because he’s an A+ human being. As I’ve told others, he’s all dinner and no dessert. 

And imo, this is where UVA becomes a real threat. From what you described,  sounds like Trey and Coach Bennett align quite a bit.

23 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

100% true.  And, like you, I will follow and support him wherever he goes..... with the exception of UK.  I would not even support my own child if he/she went to UK.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yes.  It flummoxes me how kids can spend so much time making an "educated", "important", decision yet still disregard the integrity of certain programs they are considering.  UL as a perfect example: nailed and on probation for hooker-gate, then caught red-handed discussing the biggest no-no (paying recruits), fire HOF cheater coach and A.D., under investigation by the enuchs at the NCAA (justice would be MAJOR penalties), and their current coach while good has never been to a FF (I believe).  Yet, "smart kids" will still keep them on the list.  I guess I just don't get it....

Cynically, I'm tempted to think that most of these top recruits are to some extent driven primarily be the desire to be glorified and make it to the NBA and a lot of the things they say about being a team player, wanting to get a good education, etc. is just lip-service.

(Apologies for the tone of this reply, but I'm really getting fed up with "athletes" today and their sense of self-importance and greed).

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yes.  It flummoxes me how kids can spend so much time making an "educated", "important", decision yet still disregard the integrity of certain programs they are considering.  UL as a perfect example: nailed and on probation for hooker-gate, then caught red-handed discussing the biggest no-no (paying recruits), fire HOF cheater coach and A.D., under investigation by the enuchs at the NCAA (justice would be MAJOR penalties), and their current coach while good has never been to a FF (I believe).  Yet, "smart kids" will still keep them on the list.  I guess I just don't get it....

Cynically, I'm tempted to think that most of these top recruits are to some extent driven primarily be the desire to be glorified and make it to the NBA and a lot of the things they say about being a team player, wanting to get a good education, etc. is just lip-service.

(Apologies for the tone of this reply, but I'm really getting fed up with "athletes" today and their sense of self-importance and greed).

Defending Trey here.  The issues at UL happened under a different coach and athletic director.  

Did we want kids to judge IU when Crean took over after the program's drug and academic problems under Sampson?

It's not fair to judge Trey for looking at UL if, in fact, he still is considering them any more than we could judge Verdell Jones, Tom Pritchard, etc for choosing IU.

3 hours ago, Iuhoopsfan said:

Nothing will ever change unless they hit the schools where it really hurts.  Take away their ability to be on tv, and tv revenue.  If this was done, schools would police themselves.  

They have to hit the coaches hard who continually break the rules.  Coaches who are caught cheating should be banned from coaching in college ever again.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Defending Trey here.  The issues at UL happened under a different coach and athletic director.  

Did we want kids to judge IU when Crean took over after the program's drug and academic problems under Sampson?

It's not fair to judge Trey for looking at UL if, in fact, he still is considering them any more than we could judge Verdell Jones, Tom Pritchard, etc for choosing IU.

I don't think they are judging the current admin.  I think they are questioning the going to a school that may get a significant penalty while they are attending. 

I'm not investing money in a company under major indictments. Why should an athlete? I think that is what they are wondering about.😁

4 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I don't think they are judging the current admin.  I think they are questioning the going to a school that may get a significant penalty while they are attending. 

I'm not investing money in a company under major indictments. Why should an athlete? I think that is what they are wondering about.😁

I agree that, in Trey's position, I would not want to go to UL for the possibility of major sanctions.  But, I was not reading all of the comments that way.

Adding to my point, the 2021 class will be Mack's 3rd recruiting class at UL.  Crean landed Vic in his 3rd recruiting class, after getting Watford, Creek, and Hulls in his 2nd recruiting class.   Think where IU would have been without those two classes.

The point is that we can question going to UL because of possible sanctions.  But, we can't question a kid looking at UL because of 'cheating', because those cheaters are no longer there.  It's not the same as committing to UK, Kansas, or Duke, where the 'cheating' coaches and administrators are still in place.

Archived