Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

Romeo is a perfect example of a kid making just the type of decision we are talking about.  As much as he loves IU now, Romeo would not have been at IU if UL was not having their issues. Simply would not have happened.  And, truth be told, even after UL's problems,  IU would have probably lost Romeo to Kansas if the Jayhawks did not have their own issues.  In the end, Romeo chose IU and avoided being associated with a dirty program.  

Trey and his family will make an educated decision based on what is best for him.  And, I am almost certain it will be based on basketball and educational fit more than some of the less honorable things that get implied when a player chooses a school.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I don't think they are judging the current admin.  I think they are questioning the going to a school that may get a significant penalty while they are attending. 

I'm not investing money in a company under major indictments. Why should an athlete? I think that is what they are wondering about.😁

The NCAA and the SEC however have two hugely different track records when it comes to holding companies/schools liable. I don't think any kid fears the NCAA...these kids are looking at one thing as far as investment....track record of improving me and making a living as a professional basketball player. (at least most top 100 recruits) Now of course the Anthony Leal's etc of the world while I'm sure they have a dream of playing in the NBA as well are likely the ones that will consider the whole apple if you will as far as the academics, campus life, close to home, quality of overall experience. Two different type of kids but just taking the premier player they only care if the coach would get fired. NCAA can take away a tournament, banner, scholarships...doesn't matter to that kid...as long as he get's what is promised to him and he feels that coach will be there to continue him on his path to the pros that is what matters. While they are there and playing...sure they want to win...have a goal of winning the NC....but I'd say that is not a factor when choosing a school for these type of recruits. It's about building a brand and reaching the NBA. 

As for Trey in this situation....I don't think anyone is pointing fingers at him. UL has a great track record with putting kids in the NBA. Mack is an excellent coach and while I have no idea for certain he sure seems to keep things on the up and up unlike who he replaced. UL is very close to home and likely a team he grew up rooting for. Lot's of reason's to be interested. They've already had a NC taken away...not sure what more the NCAA would do to them....likely scholarship limitations but that wouldn't affect Trey either way...what's the big deal losing a scholly at the end of the bench that would probably just transfer out anyways. I would say UL is different than say LSU, Kansas, or Arizona...but even they are so big and powerful I doubt those coaches will get fired or even a suspension. Even if KU fired Self you could imagine they are going to bring in another big name coach....and if you don't mix well you can easily get a transfer. Nothing could happen where a kid wouldn't likely have options to get out of the situation if it did somehow go sideways. I agree with Scott....omg!!! You have to hold the coaches accountable and get them out of the system. Schools and ADs have to be held accountable but $$ and losing some scholarships does basically nothing. 

Only obsessed fans care about cheaters. Do we think players wouldn't go play for the Patriots because they are cheaters...the Astros....etc etc. Players go where the $$ is and where they get the most return on their time. I don't know how many times I have to remind myself....the thought process for an 18 year old, significantly gifted athlete and my thoughts are no where near aligned. Even that all said I don't hold them responsible for choosing to go to a "dirty" school. Their priorities and ours are mostly entirely different. Sure there are some that might take a school off the list for principled reasons (I would think the culture of the program and lack of accountability of the staff allowing strippers or drugs etc would keep kids and their parents away) but more and more people think the kids should be getting paid anyways so why would a kid care if someone got paid to play on the side. Kid's only care how the punishment would affect them....and only removing coaches would make them think twice about going to a school. The kids don't care what the school has to pay in legal fees. We just have to drop this purity test. Kids go where they will play. Now...can IU give Trey a better opportunity to play and improve then UL....that is a legit argument. Comparing UL and IU's track record of infractions for the sake of getting a kid or not....waste of time. That is better saved for a different topic but one that has no relationship to kids and their decisions to go to a school. We can argue our moral superiority over UL til we are blue in the face...won't change the fact if a 5* will come here or go there. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Romeo is a perfect example of a kid making just the type of decision we are talking about.  As much as he loves IU now, Romeo would not have been at IU if UL was not having their issues. Simply would not have happened.  And, truth be told, even after UL's problems,  IU would have probably lost Romeo to Kansas if the Jayhawks did not have their own issues.  In the end, Romeo chose IU and avoided being associated with a dirty program.  

Trey and his family will make an educated decision based on what is best for him.  And, I am almost certain it will be based on basketball and educational fit more than some of the less honorable things that get implied when a player chooses a school.

Academically UofL is not a fit for Kaufman. It would be a choice based on him being a fan of the teams there.

9 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

Academically UofL is not a fit for Kaufman. It would be a choice based on him being a fan of the teams there.

Agree with the academic piece. 

There are a lot of things I know or believe about the situation that I don't feel comfortable posting because my kids go to school with Trey and I know several members of the extended family.  

My point is not that Trey is actually considering UL, just that it should not be held against him if he is, because UL's problems occurred under a previous coach/administration.  IU had a similar situation, though not as serious, when Sampson left and Crean came in, and no IU fan would have encouraged Watford, Oladipo, Zeller, etc. to go elsewhere just because Sampson destroyed the program.

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

If he’s accomplished academically, the fact that he attended U of L won’t be a black mark on his resume in any way. Anyone who would question that would be quickly educated as to why and there wouldn’t be an issue. And are you saying IU wouldn’t recruit in Louisville?

Huh?

1 minute ago, Sark said:

If he’s accomplished academically, the fact that he attended U of L won’t be a black mark on his resume in any way. Anyone who would question that would be quickly educated as to why and there wouldn’t be an issue. And are you saying IU wouldn’t recruit in Louisville?

No, my law firm would not recruit from Louisville as many top law firms would not, with the exception of an exceptional story.  Other lawyers can confirm this.   There is always a spot for an elite candidate from almost any school but you’d have to make up for Louisville sitting there on your resume with true excellence in other facets.  It’s not that it’s a zero chance, as I clearly stated.   It’s that have to make up for it in other ways.  You can bitch about it all you want, but this is just reality.  I’m not here to say if it’s right or wrong but this is prevalent thinking.  

20 minutes ago, Sark said:

Didn’t realize you were talking about hiring a kid out of law school, a decidedly different issue. Has Trey expressed an interest in becoming an attorney?

No, but this isn’t limited to law.   Our clients, who typically represent corporate or academic America, often ask for the bio of our attorneys before engaging them.  I am going through a process now where I individually need to be approved to work on a large client even though our firm won the bid.   Remember, if you are even an experienced attorney, the Board of a company may want to look at your resume before they turn over work with substantial stakes to you.  People may not realize this, but your resume is about the entire body of work not just the last stop.  If he went from Louisville to Harvard or Stanford for grad school, maybe he’s the exceptional situation.  But, why bang your head against the wall when you have such upside as a student?  

This resume evaluation happens and it’s reality.  A straight A student going to a low level school where he has to make up for it just seems unneeded.  

My point isn’t that it’s good or bad but that it happens.  I’m the messenger not the creator of this.  We had a kid from Harvard undergrad and law who was on the verge of being fired when he saw it coming and quit.  We have a kid now who went to a top five law school who is on probation.  I may be more impressed with the kid who went to DePaul night school and got a full ride while working during the day and having two young kids.  You can always be exceptional but by picking Louisville you’re starting with an unnecessary deficit because of academic and corporate culture.

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

No, but this isn’t limited to law.   Our clients, who typically represent corporate or academic America, often ask for the bio of our attorneys before engaging them.  I am going through a process now where I individually need to be approved to work on a large client even though our firm won the bid.   Remember, if you are even an experienced attorney, the Board of a company may want to look at your resume before they turn over work with substantial stakes to you.  People may not realize this, but your resume is about the entire body of work not just the last stop.  If he went from Louisville to Harvard or Stanford for grad school, maybe he’s the exceptional situation.  But, why bang your head against the wall when you have such upside as a student?  

This resume evaluation happens and it’s reality.  A straight A student going to a low level school where he has to make up for it just seems unneeded.  

My point isn’t that it’s good or bad but that it happens.  I’m the messenger not the creator of this.  We had a kid from Hravard undergrad and law who was on the verge of being fired when he saw it coming and quit.  We have a kid now who went to a top five law school who is on probation.  I may be more impressed with the kid who went to DePaul night school and got a full ride while working during the day and having two young kids.  You can always be exceptional but by picking Louisville you’re starting with an unnecessary deficit because of academic and corporate culture.

I think Trey is interested in engineering and if that is the case you would think PU would be on the top of his list.  I would agree that UL would be on the bottom of the list of schools academically that Trey is looking at.  I would think going to IU, PU or UVA would look better on your resume than UL would but does players who aspire to be in the NBA care about that.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If education is a consideration, that would put Louisville on the outside looking in as well.

Honestly, looking at it from a rational standpoint, I think IU is the school that could offer everything they purportedly want.  Academics is Virginia, IU, and then Louisville in that order...with Louisville being waaaaay down the list.  Team performance of late would be Virginia, Louisville, and then IU.  With IU making up ground on Louisville IMO.  Team support is probably a wash.  IU and Louisville have the close to home factor.

But if academics and being close to home are higher on his list, Indiana is the only one of the 3 schools that really addresses both of those positively.

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If education is a consideration, that would put Louisville on the outside looking in as well.

Honestly, looking at it from a rational standpoint, I think IU is the school that could offer everything they purportedly want.  Academics is Virginia, IU, and then Louisville in that order...with Louisville being waaaaay down the list.  Team performance of late would be Virginia, Louisville, and then IU.  With IU making up ground on Louisville IMO.  Team support is probably a wash.  IU and Louisville have the close to home factor.

But if academics and being close to home are higher on his list, Indiana is the only one of the 3 schools that really addresses both of those positively.

Team performance will be a factor.  Trey has already been on one championship team in high school, was robbed of a great opportunity to repeat last year because of the virus, and Silver Creek will be heavy favorites this year should they get to play a season.

That said, I think the promise of FUTURE performance is going to be more important than recent past performance.  Trey will care less about who won championships in the 2010's and be more concerned about who is positioned to win a championship in the early 2020's.  

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

To answer the question from above.  The full court press from Painter for Kaufman is still on.

Wonder why we don't hear PU mentioned when talking about Kaufman because PU has one the best engineering schools.  It seems like we here IU, UL and UVA as the schools with the best chance but if Painter is putting the full court press on he must think he still has a chance.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

To answer the question from above.  The full court press from Painter for Kaufman is still on.

It's not like driving to Virginia, but I can tell you that the drive from Sellersburg to West Lafayette is quite a bit longer than the drive from Sellersburg to Bloomington.  For family and friends, a same day up and back from Bloomington is a piece of cake, even for games that start late.  Not so much for West Lafayette, especially on late weeknight games.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder why we don't hear PU mentioned when talking about Kaufman because PU has one the best engineering schools.  It seems like we here IU, UL and UVA as the schools with the best chance but if Painter is putting the full court press on he must think he still has a chance.

Maybe our resident BM fan can enlighten us as to when was the last time a player (especially a highly recruited one) has ever majored in Engineering?  It's one of the roughest curriculum's for any freshman.  A kid that can carry calculus, physics, chemistry classes and put in the time to play big-time basketball is worthy of respect.

18 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Maybe our resident BM fan can enlighten us as to when was the last time a player (especially a highly recruited one) has ever majored in Engineering?  It's one of the roughest curriculum's for any freshman.  A kid that can carry calculus, physics, chemistry classes and put in the time to play big-time basketball is worthy of respect.

Well Allan Henderson was pre Med when at IU.  Also his first couple of years he wouldn't have to take all of those classes at one time.

Archived